Top Shelf Aquatics

Jeff's U.P. LED BioCube 29G --> Out of Hobby Sale

msujeff

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:happydance:

LEDs are currently enroute from beautiful California to snowy Michigan.

Hurry up and get them.............

I want mine, so jealous

:happydance:

LEDs are currently enroute from beautiful California to snowy Michigan.

Congrats, good to hear! Can't wait for pics and reviews.

Hurry up and get them.............

I want mine, so jealous

omgomgomg
Congrats, good to hear! Can't wait for pics and reviews.

Glad some others are excited as I am! I'll take a bunch of pic of the entire process and do a little review/initial thoughts of the setup. I'm not sure if I've seen any posts on the new driver box so I'm sure people will be interested in that.

Delivery date should be 3/22 but will probably have to wait till that Friday (day off) to hook everything up. I want to fix the rat nest of cords in my stand and I want a whole day to be able to figure out the alc and what not.

Glad some others are excited as I am! I'll take a bunch of pic of the entire process and do a little review/initial thoughts of the setup. I'm not sure if I've seen any posts on the new driver box so I'm sure people will be interested in that.

Delivery date should be 3/22 but will probably have to wait till that Friday (day off) to hook everything up. I want to fix the rat nest of cords in my stand and I want a whole day to be able to figure out the alc and what not.

Ya, I hear that. I HATE wires! Looks like a box of extension cords exploded in my stand. Definately want to see the install and review. LED is the next thing I add, well after I dump this damn RIO pump....what a noisy pos! Oh, I added a Tiger shrimp for my YWG tonight, very cool.

Ya, I hear that. I HATE wires! Looks like a box of extension cords exploded in my stand. Definately want to see the install and review. LED is the next thing I add, well after I dump this damn RIO pump....what a noisy pos! Oh, I added a Tiger shrimp for my YWG tonight, very cool.

I know what you mean, talk about a fire hazard! I'm excited for the LEDs and to be able to start stocking some corals.

My rio was sooo loud, I received an email back from them to try ot get it replaced but I haven't mailed it in yet.

I originally planned for a YWG but decided to go with a smaller goby instead. Your pistol and ywg pair up right away? I was lucky and my hi fin and pistol paired up instantly.

I know what you mean, talk about a fire hazard! I'm excited for the LEDs and to be able to start stocking some corals.

My rio was sooo loud, I received an email back from them to try ot get it replaced but I haven't mailed it in yet.

I originally planned for a YWG but decided to go with a smaller goby instead. Your pistol and ywg pair up right away? I was lucky and my hi fin and pistol paired up instantly.

I dropped in the shrimp who started to dig as soon as he hit the sand. With in 2 minutes the YWG came out of his area, found the shrimp burrowing and began standing guard over him. Then, moved in. All of this took place in under 3 or 4 minutes, totally shocked me. Super cool to watch the two of them together.

So is Rio going to replace it? Do they require a receipt?

I dropped in the shrimp who started to dig as soon as he hit the sand. With in 2 minutes the YWG came out of his area, found the shrimp burrowing and began standing guard over him. Then, moved in. All of this took place in under 3 or 4 minutes, totally shocked me. Super cool to watch the two of them together.

So is Rio going to replace it? Do they require a receipt?

That's great! The relationship is really cool to watch.

Taam (maker of rio pumps) said they will, I do have to email them a receipt though so i have to dig through my inbox to find the invoice from inTank (too may in-words in that sentence... I sound like stevieT). :P

Received the 5.6 LED fixture today! Looks great! I should be able to set it up this weekend and pictures will follow.

:happy:

Received the 5.6 LED fixture today! Looks great! I should be able to set it up this weekend and pictures will follow.

Do you have any way to get some PAR readings once you set it all up. I know there have been PAR readings done on this set up, but I always like to see what people get in the real world once everything is running.

Do you have any way to get some PAR readings once you set it all up. I know there have been PAR readings done on this set up, but I always like to see what people get in the real world once everything is running.

I wish I did. It would be nice to see what the number are that this fixture is putting out.

On a side note:

Since 5.6 trio has three separate dimmers and my alc only has two input for dimmer control, I probably will have the 50/50 strip just on an on/off timer that will come on after the ramp up and off before it ramps down.

That's basically what a lot of people do anyway. They'll add some LEDs to come on just for a few hours in the middle of the day to simulate high noon. Just be careful with how bright you put them, the setup that I made with only 24 Cree x-re was starting to bleach out some of the sps in may tank at just a little bit over 1/2 power lol. I borrowed a PAR meter from a friend and was really impressed with just how much PAR they were putting out.

I have a few corals in my tank right now so I'll probably only ramp up to 20-30% for now and see what happens. I'm going to stock a few easy sps in a few weeks to see how things go.

Well to give you a little bit of an idea, 12 white and 12 blue, 2 inches off of the water at 1/2 power it was giving me about 460-500 at the surface, 270-290 mid tank, and abut 170-185 on the sand bed. That'll give some numbers to ballpark about what you'll be doing at 1/2 power. I ended up settling on blues at about 65-70%, and whites at only about 25-30%

Thanks for the heads up. I plan on doing a lot of sps, clam, and a few lps and zoas at the bottom. Hopefully my tank can be a show off for what this fixture can do. Only time will tell.

Thanks for the heads up. I plan on doing a lot of sps, clam, and a few lps and zoas at the bottom. Hopefully my tank can be a show off for what this fixture can do. Only time will tell.

Jeff,

Where's the pics and review man?

Jeff,

Where's the pics and review man?

haha I'm just starting now to put everything together so I should be able to post some pictures later tonight if everything works out.

haha I'm just starting now to put everything together so I should be able to post some pictures later tonight if everything works out.

I'm interested in your new LED system too. I just changed out my 150w HQI for an ACAN A104AC-18 system. The WOW factor with this fixture is amazing. I'm going to have to wait a while before I post a review based on coral response. The 5 programmable modes and 0-100% intensity settings for white, blue and moonlights are amazing. Its claimed to be a repacement for a 250w MH so I am starting at 55% intensity max to start. Time will tell.

I'm interested in your new LED system too. I just changed out my 150w HQI for an ACAN A104AC-18 system. The WOW factor with this fixture is amazing. I'm going to have to wait a while before I post a review based on coral response. The 5 programmable modes and 0-100% intensity settings for white, blue and moonlights are amazing. Its claimed to be a repacement for a 250w MH so I am starting at 55% intensity max to start. Time will tell.

Pruess Pets in Lansing speak highly of the Acan fixtures they have a few on some of their display tanks. I will be going from one 36w 10K bulb (the blue burned out a month ago and I didn't want to waste money replacing it) to the 5.6 led fixture so it's going to be a huge change.

Pruess Pets in Lansing speak highly of the Acan fixtures they have a few on some of their display tanks. I will be going from one 36w 10K bulb (the blue burned out a month ago and I didn't want to waste money replacing it) to the 5.6 led fixture so it's going to be a huge change.

Thats where I got mine. There is a Solana and BC 29HQI 150w right next to each other. The Solana had the ACAN on it and Kirby was nice enough to move the HQI out of the way and place the ACAN on the BC. The difference was nothing short of amazing. The BC has the phoenix14k on it which is exactly what I was using.Kirby warned me to start off at 50% intensity because the ACAN fixture packs an amazing punch. We'll see what happens.

Thats where I got mine. There is a Solana and BC 29HQI 150w right next to each other. The Solana had the ACAN on it and Kirby was nice enough to move the HQI out of the way and place the ACAN on the BC. The difference was nothing short of amazing. The BC has the phoenix14k on it which is exactly what I was using.Kirby warned me to start off at 50% intensity because the ACAN fixture packs an amazing punch. We'll see what happens.

Nice! It will be nice to see what the differences the LED makes from the hqi.

The Nanocustons 5.6 LED retro kit is complete! It took about 2 hours to set everything up. I also had to update my RKL and some of my modules during this time which took a while. So the actual setup of the fixture would take about an hour (taking your time). Over all it was extremely easy. They make it plug and play as much as possible and nothing about the set up was difficult. Here's some pictures of the unboxing and set up. I will add some pictures of it in action tomorrow. This kit is VERY bright on 100%. I set up the two lunar pods through the ALC and they look so much nicer then the stock BC moonlights.

I went with the Silenx fans from newegg. These fans are actually silent!

I still need to hook up the ALC to auto dim the main lights. I tried to find a place local with 2.1mm jacks to splice into the ALC cord but couldn't find any. So i will have to wait a few weeks to get that part of the project done.

Steps taken for assembly:

1. Remove everything from the hood. Very easy, everything is just screwed down and a few snips of the cables allow the ballast cords to be yanked out. Cut two plastic screw pieces so that it doesn't touch the heat sink.
  2. Remove two end led strips on the heat sink so that it could be screwed down to the hood.
  3. Apply thermal paste to the two strips and screw them down to the heat sink.
  4. Screw fans down.
  5. Feed the main cable into the hood so that it can be connected to the leds and fans.
  6. Hook up the cables.
  7. I then fed the two lunar pod cables through the opposite side of the hood and glued them to the heat sink. Hopefully the heat sink doesn't get too hot to melt the glue. Time will tell if this was a viable option.
  8. Cleaned up all the cables and screwed down the splash guard.
  9. Put the hood back on the BC and hooked up the lunar pods on the ALC
  10. Tested everything out and it works perfectly!

Now on to some pictures!

100_5085.jpg

Unboxing! Order was placed end of December. A few weeks later the new driver boxes were announced so I didn't mind the wait.

100_5086.jpg

Nanocutoms 5.6 LED Retro Kit straight out of the box

100_5087.jpg

Trio 700 Driver Enclosure, One driver controls the 2 whites, one driver for the 2 blues, and one driver for the 50/50. The ALC can only control two of the drivers so the 50/50 will be regulated to on/off mode only (high noon I guess?)

100_5088.jpg

Dimmer controls of the Trio.

100_5089.jpg

Very sharp! Looks very nice!

100_5090.jpg

Sexy looking products coming out of a California

100_5091.jpg

The guts of the Trio 700. Three Thomas Research Drivers.

100_5094.jpg

Removing the guts of the hood.

100_5095.jpg

All that's left is a large piece of plastic.

100_5096.jpg

Two outer strips removed so that the heat sink can be screwed down to the hood.

100_5097.jpg

Two strips put back on to the heat sink.

100_5098.jpg

Silenx fans hooked up. The name fits the product.

100_5099.jpg

Another shot of the fixture.

100_5100.jpg

Sexy.

100_5102.jpg

Lunar pods and wiring harness hooked up.

100_5103.jpg

100_5104.jpg

Mess

Archived