ReefCleaners.org

75g of Reefer

danthenewreefman

danthenewreefman

Got these two for $30 each! New local guy. They're HUGE! The green birdnest is at least 4x4x4 and the blue/purple thing is at least 5" tall!

new+additions.JPG

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
danthenewreefman

the sharp metal thing with plastic handle from dissection kit. I recommend a dissection kit to everyone, great tools to have.

dastab.JPG

drug him out of the rocks and within 30seconds body is covered in nass snails and hermits

CUCfeast.JPG

I don't like to do this, but he has been dong serious damage to my SPS coral. serious damage. I can't put him in the 5.5g and it would have taken forever to catch him. So i resorted to killing him, I'm sorry I just couldn't take it any longer. He completly took my pink body/green polyp ora frag and did major damage to the monti. Other than these he has taken much smaller pieces of 5 of sps frags. it was getting worse not better.

topdownmissingcoral.JPG

danthenewreefman

astrea snails spawning! looks crazy!

got another 5g bucket of muck outa the sand. And removed about 30-40% of sand. I think this will reduce the number of cleanings needed per year.

Was almost 2inches thick in some parts -- reduced to less than 1inch throughout. The crab is currently being destroyed by the CUC. I was thinking about taking it out -- but they deserve the feast for all the hard work they do for me and at the rate they're eating it i seriously doubt it'll cause any negative parameter swings.

danthenewreefman

The monti has healed up fine, it keeps growing cyano in that one spot in the middle that died, which isn't letting it heal over...very weird. Might need more flow going across the top of my rock work.

A few of the SPS has fully encrusted over the super glue, a few aren't encrusting at all?

• 2 weeks later...
danthenewreefman

Got $150 in my pocket and a trip to LFS right after work in my destiny!

Probably gonna get 5-6 big SPS pieces, something branching probably.

He also has acans lords with about 10 polyps for 4 for 100 too. Might get a couple of those too!

Y'all in greensboro need to check out " Triad Reef Critters" google the name to find the site. Dexter the owner is a great man, older gentleman but an overall good person. I say older because sometimes older more experienced reefers come across as the biggest asses -- he doesn't. Runs his shop out of his basement of his home.

Sorry y'all far away-- he doesn't ship at all to the best of my knowledge. Apparently his business is huge locally, I think he grows the majority of his products.

danthenewreefman

Ended up getting 3 SPS and 1 big acan. I needed some salt and calcium buffer so I got less. But I did get a media reactor. And 2 par38 bulbs on the way. Need to chill and stop spending money so crazy lol. it's an addiction.

Order Items

Qty Name SKU Price Total

1 Phosphate Reactor Single w/ Dual media

Add H 713 Phoshate Checker: No Thanks

Add Maxi Jet 1200: Please Add (+ $27.50)

Add Maxi Jet Adapter: Please Add (+ $4.50)

SGFOCR-1 USD88.00 USD88.00

SubTotal : USD88.00

Shipping and Handling Fee : USD10.45

Tax Total : USD0.00

Total: USD98.45

Not bad for media included, with maxi-jet & adapter & shipping!!! It'll go perfect in the trashcan fuge! lol...

I really like purlyh2o.com, their shipping was VERY fast last time and their customer services seemed OK.

Figure that's enough ferric oxide for 6 months, and enough carbon for 3. I'm tired of that damn lobophora algae.

I'll get pictures up later of the tank, once I place the new frags.

danthenewreefman

Ordered a 10g HEX crew from reefcleaners.org + 50 additional dwarf cerths. Shipped for less than $25.00.

Probably put most in the 75g with a of the big cerths in the 5.5 to see if they'll eat the hair algae

danthenewreefman

traded bunch o hammer and 5 blue sympodium frags for

big maxima

8 inch blue linka

8 inch metallic green open brain

Y'all in greensboro need to check out " Triad Reef Critters" google the name to find the site. Dexter the owner is a great man, older gentleman but an overall good person. I say older because sometimes older more experienced reefers come across as the biggest asses -- he doesn't. Runs his shop out of his basement of his home.

Sorry y'all far away-- he doesn't ship at all to the best of my knowledge. Apparently his business is huge locally, I think he grows the majority of his products.

Yeah great guy. Last week I got some 20lb bags of Fiji Pink sand for $16 a bag. He also hooked me up with some dry rock for $2lb. for my 75 that I'm about to start on. :D Its funny that he has a better selection than the LFS near him (you know the one).lol

danthenewreefman

Good to hear from you man. Yea Dexter is the man. He just got all kinds of crazy stuff in!

danthenewreefman

My clam at the store before I bought it!!!

Didn't look this happy last night, hoping it's looking better when I get home, picture doesn't do it justice...it's between a softball and volleyball in size!!!

Clam_45202632_std.jpg

danthenewreefman

blue+linka+starfish.JPG

openbrain.JPG

still+sick+clam.JPG

newFTS.JPG

The clam had a rough trip home...and I was so excited I didn't acclimate him at all...(####ing slap me).

He bleached like that instantly, but is still very responsive to shadows, can see it eating the filter feeder food & appears to be getting better, or at a minimum it doesn't appear to be getting worse.

THe linka def looks like it's eating the filter feeder food too! Right after I acclimated him he went to the top of the tank and started skimming the water with one arm. Soon as I put food in tank he came down like that and he feet REALLY came out more.

danthenewreefman

Oh and the clowns think the open brain is a carpet anemone! lol

they've been fighting over it since it hit the water.

redkneecoral

looks like you have been busy with ya tank.

Awesome new additions.

Tank is looking great

danthenewreefman
looks like you have been busy with ya tank.

Awesome new additions.

Tank is looking great

Thank you! I'm trying to get it filled in...I sometimes wish it was smaller, it's going to take 2 more years to get this thing filled.

The pictures don't do the brain justice, it's beautiful.

danthenewreefman

OK now I know I've got problems...I'm dreaming about my tank

Last night I dreamed I woke up, and my entire tank was covered in cyano. Like I couldn't see any LR or coral or nothing...a mountain of cyano.

crazy.

danthenewreefman

Ordered some Seachem matrix carbon and seachem phosphate remover, I plan on making my own customer "seagel" (premixed stuff they sale of the two) for my media reactor. Probably a 1:1 ratio, and the seagel looks like it's at least 75% carbon.

I've always had great success with their brand (Seachem), and I used their aluminum based phosphate remover in the past with better success than I'm having with the GFO. But I can't seem to get the GFO to tumble, so that's probably the issue.

I like the sphere'd media, easier to work with and it makes a whole lot less mess. Plus all my other tank addidives are Seachem brand, and they're an American company!

So I guess I'm their "brand whore" -- Seachem all the way.

---

Put my monthly order in with Dexter!!! I want two clams, both requested over 4" and I want one green and one blue. And a male harley to go with my chick in the 5.5g! I told him I wanted to pay for really fancy clams, he agreed on $150 for the three animals! Oh I can't wait!!! Pick up on the 25th!

Yippie! I like clams. I want a clam garden with zoanthid/paly all between! Would look extra sick!

danthenewreefman

Clam keeps falling!

ahhh.

blue linka is cool, and doing fine. Roams my rocks all day munching on stuff, goes into hiding right before night time.

seems to be doing fine, looks perfectly healthy still. Clam -- not so much.

• 2 weeks later...
danthenewreefman

he kept falling, I wasn't setting him up often enough. and I didn't acclimate him.

the starfish on the otherhand I acclimated like hell, and it still died.

i gonna say me being idiot killed clam.

starfish was doomed from the get go though, whole new meaning to "difficult".

"difficult" SPS coral -- meah peice of cake, blue linka starfish -- that's difficult.

oh and my CUC is a beast, no signs of either in 1 night except for the big muscle of the clam.

little algae issue as you can imagine but coral look happy. probably do a 20% WC later just to make sure eveyrything's cool.

danthenewreefman

MY tank is a beast, really show'd its "maturity" lol.

I mean...a linka and a huge crocea die simultaneously, I leave them in there, and no negative parameter readings?

animal. my tank is an animal.

Do got some cyano and HA growing...meah, no biggie, I'll get that out soon enough.

I feel so proud lol. I bet I could Pee in it and it would be fine. lol.

Archived