Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

75g of Reefer

danthenewreefman

danthenewreefman

the maroon can be hand fed! lol she's a sweety

her bitten tail is almost 100% healed, looks like she's trying to host my big hammer!

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the maroon can be hand fed! lol she's a sweety

her bitten tail is almost 100% healed, looks like she's trying to host my big hammer!

She loves her some hands in the tank. I actually hand caught her when i shipped her your way!

danthenewreefman

eats like a pig, pretty bossy too

I'd probably have a hair algae problem without it

It had some white growth on it's top fin when I got it, looked like a fungus but it's came off recently.

--

My tank really is that blue, I love the ATI blue + bulbs.

danthenewreefman

reef keeper lite & h2o science 75gpd RO/DI unit on the way!!!

gonna use the reef keeper as a wave maker & temperature controller. 2 evo 1400, 1 heater, 1 fan.

danthenewreefman

uh oh! Refractometer & digital pH probe/monitor on the way!

Not a bad deal, both together for $55 shipped!

Off to buy a bucket of salt mix now, believe I saw it yesterday at Petsmart on sale for $40 even, for 150g mix reef crystals!

God, all I need now is....lol

The list never ends! BUy one thing, start looking at some other "thing" i need lol...

but I do need more coral fo sho!

danthenewreefman

the RO/DI is awesome. my psi is steady at 60psi hope that's enough, I see it recommended on box at 65-70.

danthenewreefman

With the new ro/di I've already made and changed ~50 gallons of water in 2 days! lol

And made up another 25gallons of top of water! Me gusta mucho.

but then a quick connect valve broke when disassembling the system, i hope purely h2o's customer service is good.....I only been using the system 3 days....

Also bought two VERY small fish, a dart fish & a clown goby. After the "dark" acclimation period the dart seems to be doing great! no signs of jumping yet. The clown goby went into the rocks and I haven't seen him sense.

All the fish completely ignore the dartfish

i have a question - why does your family smoking affect the pH of your tank? Are you attributing your low pH to high CO2 levels, and high CO2 levels to smoking? Because the CO2 outputs of a burning cigarette are negligible compared to a breathing human being.

danthenewreefman

Supposedly, the air in a smokers house contains more CO2, and that's why my tank pH is always low.

A cup of tank water aerated outside my house does raise to 8.3 in like 5 minutes. But a cup inside never goes above 8. Unless I buffer it to like 20 dKH....and even then it slowly goes back down to 8.

Smoking is the only variable I've been able to identify and others (more knowledgeable) agree it's probably the reason.

But nothing ever has a problem in my tank, the acro from tinktank is growing like a weed, it healed up from me mushing it in a week and it's grown one tip 1/4 inch minimum.

danthenewreefman

Supposedly, the air in a smokers house contains more CO2, and that's why my tank pH is always low.

A cup of tank water aerated outside my house does raise to 8.3 in like 5 minutes. But a cup inside never goes above 8. Unless I buffer it to like 20 dKH....and even then it slowly goes back down to 8.

Smoking is the only variable I've been able to identify and others (more knowledgeable) agree it's probably the reason.

But nothing ever has a problem in my tank, the acro from tinktank is growing like a weed, it healed up from me mushing it in a week and it's grown one tip 1/4 inch minimum.

danthenewreefman

getting crazy stupid insane growth with the RO/DI unit and ATI BLue+ bulbs

more par + better water = kick'in ass

I swear one chalice has grown a quarter inch in a week.

The green people eaters went from 4 to about 20 in a month.

My first SPS -- sunset montipora and green acropora are doing great, showing great colors and full polyp extension. The acro has grown a half in almost at the top branch, I can tell....because it's SOLID white.

I want 2 more Blue+ bulbs, but right now it's

blue+

blue+

420nm actinic blue

460nm actinic purple

blue+

blue+

I run the middle 2- 12hrs a day, and the outside 4- 7hrs a day.

Had to cancel my reef keeper lite that was on backorder due to poorness, still dealing with fluctuating temperatures (76-78) but everything seems happy and I'll be really ordering it when I get my taxes back.

my tank is gonna get crazy -- Janurary's got taxes, student loan $ & puppies & a raise at work!. Oh I can't wait to blow my money! lol

and both new fish are doing great! the firefish has shown no signs of jumping! He gets scared and bolts to his hole....hopefully this isn't just a give it time I told you so situation.

danthenewreefman

cloves.JPG

3greenzoa.JPG

per your request my man. The cloves, they just got fed in the picture, they're by far more colorful than shown, it's just hard for my cheap camera to show their beauty in such a blue lit tank. Zoom in really close on a polyp to see it clear.

(the brown stuff between cloves is reefcleaner.org filter feeder food -- they love it!)

Dont I know the waiting feeling man. I got a 55 just waiting on hardware atm to set up as a frag tank. Show some zoa close ups though man il be tagging along.

danthenewreefman
Dont I know the waiting feeling man. I got a 55 just waiting on hardware atm to set up as a frag tank. Show some zoa close ups though man il be tagging along.

especially when it's your first salt tank, I see people with smaller tanks that get stocked SOO fast. But when you get into the 30+ range (ESPECIALLY 55 and up) it just cost SOOOO much to have it lookin sexy. But it's really starting to become rewarding. it's great to see 1 polyp grow into a 20+ colony, gives a real sense of accomplishment.

I do the best I can for photos, I have a CHEAP kodak 10mp point and shoot...I bet i take 100photos for every ONE good one I get. Once I get my tank settled a fancy camera will def. be the next thing I want/get :-)

danthenewreefman

GOt the refractometer and digital pH thing!!! whoop whoop!

before calibration (cuz didn't know I had to lol) my salinity was reading 1.037 -- I was thinking, holy #### can't believe anything is alive. then once I figured it out (by test ro/di water and it said 1.010 I knew something was wrong...lol)

tank water was perfect at 1.025, i was doing just fine with the hydrometer, but still happy I made the purchase.

digital pH probe b4 calibration said my tank water was 7.4something. same thought, then I read instructions and calibrated it.

tank was 7.84 pH after ALL night lights off, reading was taken minutes before lights cut on for day. Can't wait to see what it'll be at 10pm tonight, I'm betting 8.1* something.

me gusta mucho!!!!!!

---

The muther fracking SOB LOBOPHORA algae is coming back!!!!oijaogjregaoreogjirjaeoijgrjae I killed 99% of it off so it's moving slow...but NO WAY i'm letting this get bad again.

Changed 25g water last night, got another 30g waiting for me at home. I will starve it out, I don't care how many water changes it takes. The ideal solution would be how I killed it last time -- 100$ phosphate remover and $50 worth of carbon used over a months time. Sure it wouldn't take that much this time...but still. If my water changes don't make an impact between now and next friday (payday) probably will buy some phosphate remover & carbon, right now just too poor to even buy them.

danthenewreefman

my pH is 7.89. at one point it got into like the mid 7.9Xs--so without a fuge my tank is only fluctuating about 1.0 throughout the day. Which isn't bad at all it's so slow and consistent.

it's the dead of winter this is as bad as it'll ever be probably. And everything seems completely fine with it, even the SPS.

Wow man you really did declare war lol. Come on now though at least a little algae has to be acceptable >.>

It's just that I thought I'd already won!

You don't understand -- it was covering like 50% total of my rock surface...I can't go back there lol

My tanks only been lookin so clean last couple months, i really want to keep it look'in like this or better. I see small spots of brown on the sand sometimes, that worries me too.

I'm obsessive I guess.

danthenewreefman

--firefish and green clown goby are doing great still!!!! no aggression between tankmates at all.

And I thought about this today -- the maroon clown; tinytank said she was " a mean ass" dug all the time, etc...

She is an angel, not sure if I've had her long enough for her to feel comfortable yet. But I love her, she any the other clown sleep side by side all night, but during the day they ignore each other.

I think it may be the presence of two more dominant fish -- the starry blenny is 1000% #2 in the tank, the yellow tang is of-course #1.

fish dominance list

tang

blenny

clown-clown

damsel -- I think that's why I can keep her with other peaceful fish and she ignores them, the presence of more dominant fish. The damsel has showed off before and really took a hurt'in from the clown/tang in the past

--firefish/clown goby don't really count, too small.

I mean if there was any aggression I'm sure the firefish would have jumped by now.

Lol clown gobys dont count to begin with, My YCG gets bossed around by my turbo snail of all things. I can top the algae though. I had cyano covering every square milimeter of light gathering surface in a 20 long once. I was bringing it back but when all you have is city water within 30 miles its hard to do a WC. Id be thankful you havent had worse honestly. I think itll be more a matter of time before it bounces back for ya. I wouldnt worry until 6+ months of it running.

danthenewreefman

my original tank was a 30g (up for like 3months) and it had a DSB. Being a beginner with a DSB was time bomb...

so original pH readings were off, the day before meter arrived I unplugged both blue+ fixtures and didn't plug them back in....so for 2 days I had nothing but actinitcs running...no wonder the pH never went up! lol

now with blue+ bulbs going too...pH this morning was 8.06, last night before lights off it was 8.19.

much better, but all in all...a reminder pH madders very little

-----

You guys interested in the cloves never holler'ed back! I didn't ever cut them, y'all let me know if really interested...

danthenewreefman

Frags wanted:

Purple branching acropora type thing -- thick branching, like the green one tinytank got me but purple

Purple/blue montipora -- I've seen pictures, no idea on name

"glow stick" SPS

blue branching acropora type thing -- same as above but the light blue color i've seen.

any and all zoa/paly that are colorful and that show florescent colors

and whatever you want to send me tinytank! hit me up man! wannnntttt mmmoooooreeee from u man, you can pick man I just wanta send you money!

Archived