Pod Your Reef

75g of Reefer

danthenewreefman

danthenewreefman

i think i've got craZy amounts of silicates from the dead pineapples I introduced. Changed phosphate remover (says it removes silicates too), and new carbon. 2n'd total cleaning in 5 days.

I'm going to leave the lights off for 24hrs. And see if by that time the diatoms have anything left to grow with. There is none on the glass or rocks now, but I know if I turned the lights back on I'd be covered in an hour.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
danthenewreefman
i think i've got craZy amounts of silicates from the dead pineapples I introduced. Changed phosphate remover (says it removes silicates too), and new carbon. 2n'd total cleaning in 5 days.

I'm going to leave the lights off for 24hrs. And see if by that time the diatoms have anything left to grow with. There is none on the glass or rocks now, but I know if I turned the lights back on I'd be covered in an hour.

now the diatoms disappear during the night (get eaten) then tank water is brown with them in 15minutes of lights on. battle continues...

danthenewreefman

tested source water = 1-1.5ppm phosphate

tested tank water = same amount

had LFS test tank phosphates -- Their tester was API, it turned black/green!!! -- "I don't know how much that is, but that really is a lot" was his response.

setup 20g tank, with all water from LFS (no more culligan wallyworld water for me ever!)

put coral in 20g tank, the hammer instantly looked happier, literally could see a difference in 15minutes.

just LR and CUC and fish in 75g now.

Planning my attach for riding the tank of the phosphates currently, but atleast now there is not a big rush...my coral haven't looked this happy in a log time, this problem had been building for a while i believe.

I know the phosphates started right after a big water change, but I don't think i recorded it into this thread...wish I would have...

danthenewreefman

looked the color chart up...phosphates tested at near 10ppm at LFS.

wow, just wow.

so 1L phosphate remover removes 72000mg of phosphate. which is about 10mg per liter of water. roughly 30,000mg of phosphate in the tank.

i have about a half liter left, hopefully that will be enough to get it all out.

coral look way better in new tank..as you can imagine...lol

danthenewreefman

finally tank looking good again, $100 worth of phosphate remover finally got the diatoms gone! yay

lobophora algae is also 90% gone!

about 20% of the nerite eggs have hatched! yet to see any small ones...still cool though.

• 2 weeks later...
danthenewreefman

diatoms are back...lol

good times.

few of my coral look really rough/dying, some look to be growing faster than ever.

really need new bulbs, think they're contributing to the overall problem.

rocks def acting as phosphate sponge. I feed so little the nutrients must already be in the water, probably 10% of what I used to feed 30g tank...

urg. what makes thing worse I'm poor. lol

on a positive note the diatoms are choking out the lobophora algae!

...lol good times!

danthenewreefman

maybe diatoms really gone this time? we'll see, tank looking great!

dKH 10

Ca+ 400

pH 8.1

(right after lights came on)

still battling temp swings, high today was 67...low tonight 35.

good'ol NC weather. Added another 200w old school tetra heater in the fuge. We'll see how it does, but currently with it on max, auto temp 100w @ 78 and marineland visititerm @ 82F I'm getting a swing of 75-77.

Trying to get that dammmmmn temp up

need to get sum photos up here. The texas holey rock is getting pink spots now!

I need sum new light bulbs bad. but unfortunately I'm very poor....

oh WELL! Get um when i can.

danthenewreefman

diatoms greatly reduced, they don't cover any sand during day and only little glass on front of tank!

yay!

freaking evo1400 started backwards after tank maintenance, and I didn't notice. Next day my tang was stuck to the front!!! Jesus! Was most expensive thing in my tank!

This happens not long after I lost my little clown that got sucked into the canister, which was my fault for having no guard on the intake tube...

But god, 2 fish in 2 months.... I must do better...

Bought a 3x size yellow tang for $35.00, he was bigger and I couldn't afford another desjardini right now ($30 more). New yellow tang is probably 4-5inches long and at least 5x thicker than the desjardini was.

A tang and a algae blenny go so far in helping clean up my tank, they're half the CUC at least, even with all the various critters...

The starry blenny even eats diatoms off the sand top after cleaning his rocks and glass! Very cool.

danthenewreefman

Please excuse diatoms, I've been through an outbreak that's at least 20x worse than the photo. I haven't cleaned the glass in a few days, I like to let it build up before a water change and siphon it all out.

At least the sand isn't all brown anymore.

You can also see the top of the euphyllia is more bleached than the edges, it's recovering nicely, the entire thing was bright white almost.

• 3 weeks later...
danthenewreefman

Diatoms are really gone. It's a miracle. None form on sand or rock at all now.

Now I'm back to the tough-to-remove green film aglae that was there before the diatoms...

wish I knew how to get rid of that crap now. urg.

I've been very poor and I made my first purchase in some time:

LFS had a green stripped mushroom on a 3-4lb chunk of LR...for 10 bux! Had to do it. Rock had several astrea starfish, stomatella & few of those tiger-stripped brittle stars on it...it was a good deal if only for the chunk of LR.

Of course...me being me I had to chop the mushroom up! I cut it into 4 pizza slices...thought I went through mouth but after closer inspection only 1 pizza slice has the mouth on it....

hope they all survive!!! anyone with an experience I'd love for them to chime in...?

danthenewreefman

no snail

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6Bit6g1Ya-8/TOXi...00/nosnails.JPG

baby nerite

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6Bit6g1Ya-8/TOXi...by%2Bnerite.JPG

Can you find the baby snails? I'm not talking about the eggs either, that's just how many are in my tank. The baby snails are just as white as the eggs are, they have the same "swirl" pattern as the full size nerites which makes me more confident that's what they are.

there are two in the second photo, both moved and aren't in the first photo taken 15-30minutes later. One is below the big group of eggs, the other is slightly above and to the left of the astrea snail.

danthenewreefman

being that my nova extreme current bulbs were all reaching there 9th month birthday....I.....

FOUR ATI Blue+ bulbs!!! yay!

Wonder if they'll bleach my coral going from such sucky bulbs to beast bulbs.

I have two new (2month old) Aquamed bulbs, purple and 10k...I'll probably keep these for a while longer...just can't afford to buy more right now.

Got 15lb of rock on way for $35 shipping! yay! NR member was tearing down and had it for free, I saved 10g of water change water to cycle the rocks in, I know that it'll have some die off from being in shipping box for 3days.

Also getting maroon clown (free) + some frags (not free) from Tinytank, probably gonna have 100$ to throw at him....we'll see what I gets!

so all in all, for being broke I sure did spend a quick $225.00 on me tank! it's a present to myself!

new rocks, new lights, new fish + frags....oh my!

danthenewreefman

aquacave.com says they'll have me ATI blue+ bulbs in on the 29th of November, he tried to sell me something different (ULV), I thought about it but decided to wait....

my rock isn't here yet (tracking#) said it would be here yesterday!!! Got a little trashcan setup to cycle it with, guy said it's got zoanthids on the rock! Can't wait to see what they are!

danthenewreefman

ordered another evo 1400! $37 for shipping and all! Gonna have some crazy flow!

still haven't got my LR yet that I got for free + shipping cost from a tank breakdown in Utah. Priority mail sucks, was supposed to be here LAST monday, isn't here yet!

Won't be very "live" when I get it, but whatever, you live you learn. I just learned Priority mail SUCKS!

danthenewreefman

god I can't wait til me new stuff gets here!

powerhead

bulbs

coral

maroon clown

rocks

you'd think i'm rich! lol

danthenewreefman

Blue+ bulbs are...I don't even know how to describe it. just awesomeness in a tube

some of my once ugly corals are now the prettiest, and flourece Strong strong

I tried

blue+

blue+

purple

blue+

blue+

and it didn't look right, the 10k stood out, so I switched it with an old current blue bulb, looks great now. To finish it up I believe I need 2 of the ATI purple + bulbs, and the colors will KICK ASS!

evo1400 will be here today too! gonna have crazy wicked nasty flow! lol

Got meh bulbs in just in time for the SPS frags coming Tuesday of next week!

yay! yay all around.

USPS still doesn't have any info on missing package!!!! lol wtf lol bastards

danthenewreefman
I wanna see pictures of her in your tank!!

She got into a quarrel with my other clown, which is a little smaller than her. Then my little clown took a peice out of her tail, so I blacked out the tank, I'll look at them again when they get home for lunch.

She'll be fine, she was getting used to everything yesterday, my tank inhabitants are always a little "nippy" and she just needs to fully recover from shipping so she can bite back.

I can tell she's going to have some attitude, she kept rushing all the fish after introduction and would stop when she got close. -- Which lead to the fight with the other clown.

Coral look great.

danthenewreefman

clown looking fine, except for the 2 bites he took -- currently swimming and exloring.

he was dancing with other clown, but I didn't see any aggresion between the two.

Starry blenny is being an ass to him though, but I know the maroon will eventually put him in his place.

My fish are just mean-asses.

--

I'll get photos up tomorrow/tonight of the new coral and fish.

danthenewreefman

8 puppies!!! whoop whoop!

--

wave maker?

reefkeeper lite?

DEF a heater controller!

FINALLY an RO/DI unit!

more coral from tinytank!

very exciting Christmas season coming! stay tuned! lol

Archived