Pod Your Reef

75g of Reefer

danthenewreefman

danthenewreefman

got an emerald crab yesterday, he is very small, his body is maybe a half inch wide.

he is really cute

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
danthenewreefman

everything in my tank survived the el nino event! The stealth heater broke and got my tank up to 90degrees. They're refunding my purchase price for the sucky heater.

Eveyrthing is still a bit pissed off looking, but nothing is receeding or bleaching.

WEll....except the goinopora, but it has been looking rough for a while, so it was probably weak before the overheating event.

even the goino might make it though, we'll see. Trying to get it in an area of less flow.

danthenewreefman

My canister was in use for probably a week, it didn't have hardly ANY DIRT in it at all.

Back when I used it for cichlids, it would be half clogged up in a week. BIG difference!

Did an 8g water change last night, roughly 10%, first I've done. I'm hoping with little dosing I can just do 10% changes every other week with this tank, but we'll see...hm...

With cheap o heater and all the heads running tank stays above 77 at all times, I believe that is an acceptable low, the high with all lights on is probably goign to be 79 or below.

Rearanged heads last night, post pics later.

EDIT:

almost forgot!!!!! PURPLE spots everywhere on back glass now! Can't wait for the back to be all purple! my girl said she "really likes the pink and purple rocks", not the coral, but nevermind that....

The more she likes it, the more time I can spend on it...score 1!

I really want a BIG long tentacle plate coral...and a clam...and a HUGE favia (dragon eye or blue war) colony. That is my next planned spending, I can get that from liveaquaria for the $225 w/ free shipping.

danthenewreefman

Loving the cheap-o-glass heater, working VERY well. Tank stable 78-79 all day long.

Ordered:

• water change syphone
  • 1/2gallon seachem phosphate remover
  • 1/2gallon kent reef carbon
  • algae sheets
  • BIG fine mesh media bag (needing something big enough to hold all the phosphate remover)
  • coralife 55g salt mix (hope this stuff is OK, first time I've used it)

Bought from wally-world:

• 40g industrial trash can
  • HUGE bag polyester pillow stuffing

The freaking cyano is TAKING over again!!! It took like 3 days w.o canister for the sand to be covered!!!

I'm using canister 24/7 now, should have enough media for 2 months at least.

That is the declaration! I will NOT spend $1.00 on my tank for the next 2 months. All my bulbs are less than 6 months old, 2 of them being brand new. Plenty of foods, plenty of media, plenty of mix. Well I take that back...I CAN ONLY BUY WATER!!! nothing else

The more I buy in bulk, the less trips to the fish store, the less impulse buys I'll make

My next spending will be on my Birthday, 28th of September...I'll be 25, HOLY $HiT that is old. I'll be an old fart.

danthenewreefman

NO BUYING STUFF FOR TANK UNTIL SEPTEMBER 28th

warning to self, note above /\

danthenewreefman

Lets list the needs for September:

iPad

R/O Filter

digital pH reader

digital salinity reader

bunch of carbon

bunch of phosphate remover

cyclopeeze

mysis

algae sheets

This one is probably just hoping but:

225.00 of Coral from DrF&S -- clam, long tentacle plate, large favia/zoa colony rock

danthenewreefman

got my trash can half way full, need to make 2 more trips to walmart.

At 6.65 for 18gallons of RO water...I just can't justify buying an RO unit til I have everything else I'd need.

Can't wait till my stuff gets here, really ready to get that cyano out!

danthenewreefman

the cyano is freaking horrible!

not anywhere on rocks... just on sand.

might need to re-configure heads.

I want that syphon to get here to I can suck it all up! Turkey baster just too inefficient.

Having the trash can will allow me to make about 4 changes worth of water at once. I'll keep it always heater and aerated just in case of emergency.

Probably will start doing more changes now that it is easier. I use the eheim water pump with a canister output nozzle, just like a water hose! Remove old water with syphon... then pump back with pump

danthenewreefman

clownfish was biting the hammer coral last night, no swollen face this morning...

might be time to move in he thinks! Also noticed even though he wasn't hosting it yet, he was protecting it from any passer-by.

danthenewreefman

no more cyano, sucked it up couple days ago, carbon kicking its butt...realized my canister intake was getting bent..no wonder the cyano came back...no wonder canister kept spitting bubbles.

Did 7g water change, water station is really nice...great to have 25g water mixed at once, 2-3months worth water changes! Use eheim pump 10ft tube...and whaalaa

Want to get another can for fresh water, so I can do top offs just as easy

coralife salt is a little slow to mix, and it does leave crud on bottom of barrel, but seems to work well.

singled the "generic fruit loop" polyps out on individual polyped frags see how they heal, hopefully

they all open tomorrow. 12 frags, one frags has two small heads

had to order surface skimmer attachment for canister, never realized how much my overflow did on 30g, m surface is nasty looking where there isn't crazy agitation.

try not buying stuff again...lol....

danthenewreefman

all 12 plugs of fruit loop opened up last night, 11 singles + 1 double tiny polyp frag.

all of my zoas are growing like crazy, minimum 2 new polyps per species, the GPE palys are REALLY taking off, like 5 new polyps of them

2 favia have finally made it over the plug lip and are encrusting onto LR -- war coral & blue/green.

put 750ml of seachem phosphate remover in canister last night, will need to be changed in December.

put 1cup kent carbon in there, will need to be changed mid-September.

cyano has no chance against this stuff. Also loving the walmart pillow-stuffing...good $hit.

need to throw sum new photos up here

danthenewreefman

My tank is freaking clean! I love it, much easier to keep it looking sharp without the refugium/deep sand bed I had on the 30g...

The canister running chemical media is BEAST!

I haven't checked anything except salinity for at least a week...I did a big water change, I'm sure it's good, but I will have to check it out by next weekend or my Ca+ might be getting low

My pink algae is growing like MAD on the back glass

Side note:

my rack will hold 150 plugs...at only 10 per frag that will be 1500 dollars! It took me 3 months to go from 2 polyps to 13...these things just LOVE my tanks. So if that keeps up I'll have 80-90 polyps in another 3 months.

I can hook the community up and STILL make a KILLING. The spidermans, greenbaypackers & blue tubs are growing like that too.

I NEED SUM MORE RACKS! AND LOTS of PLUGS!

I can probably fit another 10 racks like that in my tank and still have room. 10 racks, 150 plugs per * 10$=chaaaching ($15k)

that's it I'm quitting my job tomorrow

not really.

Side note:

my rack will hold 150 plugs...at only 10 per frag that will be 1500 dollars! It took me 3 months to go from 2 polyps to 13...these things just LOVE my tanks. So if that keeps up I'll have 80-90 polyps in another 3 months.

I can hook the community up and STILL make a KILLING. The spidermans, greenbaypackers & blue tubs are growing like that too.

I NEED SUM MORE RACKS! AND LOTS of PLUGS!

I can probably fit another 10 racks like that in my tank and still have room. 10 racks, 150 plugs per * 10$=chaaaching ($15k)

that's it I'm quitting my job tomorrow

not really.

Cool... Another future N-RSponsor.jpg

danthenewreefman
Cool... Another future N-RSponsor.jpg

Yea I think so too... :-) i mean...who said money doesn't grow in water?

danthenewreefman

cyano is ONE-HUNDRED % gone!

it just cant hang...lol weak ass cyano!

aptasia and bubble algae and wafer algae...they CAN hang. Need to do some maintenance on the bubble/aptasia group.

and continue to pray the brown wafer eventually goes away!

but yes cyano is WEAK!!! ahhhhahaha (evil laugh)

marine land visi-therm just got here, they sent it to me for free b/c of the stealth's performance....

danthenewreefman

canister surface extractor arrived, working good...we'll see by tomorrow if it'll remove all the nasty surface film.

But overall for now i thnk it's working great, lotta water going down that drain.

Fragged spidermans, tub tubs, nuclear greens, orange polyp zoa, and 2 different pink zoanthids.

About 15 rocks 2x3 inch rocks with 3-5 polyps on each rock.o Filled the bottom sandy area with frags.

With them spaces out evenly on the rocks, I expect to have them each be fully covered in polyps in 3-6 months..This will give several hundred different polyps, which can use to seed my several hundred fragg plugs...then grow each of those frags o

plugs out for another 2-3 months ....should of various types easily be able to get 1500 NICE frags, stuff just as good if not better than what Mr. Coral sales in his 10$ section.

150 frags per rack, 10$ per frag & 10 rack =s $15000...that is my goal

danthenewreefman

Frag list w/ polyp # included

• 12 fruitloop 1 polyp per
  • 1 fruitloop 2 polyps
  • 2 nucgreen 2polyp & 4 polyp
  • 1orange blue center 1 polyp
  • 2 spiderman 4polyp & 5 polyp
  • 1packers 3 polyp
  • 4pinka 3polyps & 3polyo & 3polyp & 4polyp
  • 2bluetub 2polyp & 5 polyp
  • 1RPE 4polyp
  • 2GPE 3polyp & 2polyp
  • 3 tripple greens 3polyp & 4polyp & 6polyp

These are the zoanthids I am growing now, each are seperate into individual polyps and glue a distance apart or 1 polyp per frag. the major underwent surgery yesterday and ALL polyps have opened looking GREAT. I used some old "texas holey rock" for my plugs, all VERY white so I assumed they're save to use and contain very little undesirables...hopefully.

32 different frags, with 64 polyps all in all....if I can get the continues rates of what I'm getting now I should have roughly 5000 polyps in 3 months, I know that probably isn't realistic....but 1500 might be. Especially if I continue breaking 10 polyps frags down into 1 polyps frags.. really does to boost the growth rate drastically

Wait another 3 months and I should have frags I could EASILY get $10 each for!!!

Looks like I may have to look into getting some info about being a "sponser seller in a few months...hope it isn't expensive?

Also now considering the idea of adding a fuge and frag tank into this system...but not be very expensive $250-ish manybe? I'll post the potential shopping...but of course the purchase cant be made until my birthday.

AND AS A SIDE NOT, CANISTER SURFACE SKIMMER WORKS WELL ONCE YOU GET IT "TUNED" IN.

danthenewreefman

ALL polyps open and looking happy!

I saw one polyp floating around, didn't see where it came from but nonetheless 1 outa 64 ain't bad at all!

Haven't tested anything but salinity recently, but everything seems good, prolly test after water change this weekend.

Still struggling to get canister surface skimmer attachment properly configured, it has probably cleaned 95% of the surface, but it can be just a LITTLE better I KNOW....at least no oily film now!

Bubble algae popping back up, haven't seen emerald crab but he needs to get his ass to work! Probably manually remove most of it this weekend.

But DAMN am I losing some water to evaporation now! At least 1g per day w/ the surface skimmer attachment.

Back wall = pink in about 2 more months.

oh and did I forget to add.....100% cyano free! still!!!!!!!!!!

danthenewreefman

pH...i don't know, it is above brown (7.7-7.9) but it isn't purple (8.2-8.4) so it must be somewhere around.....

8.0pH

Ca+ 440ppm

dKH 10 drops

took these after actinics only had been on for about 6hours late last night.

Trying to get the fan and heater settings correct so the temp stays 80 F constantly, currently swinging from 79-82 daily. New heaters always take time to set up correctly & their thermostats are NEVER accurate.

danthenewreefman

my freakin jumbo turbo is in my field of fruit loop just making things a mess!

freakin tank! (ie army tank)

danthenewreefman
Yeah my turbos are always knocking frags over and would love to see pics of the field of zoas.

your request has been granted! lol

http://daniel-chambers.blogspot.com/search...;max-results=19

took me like an hour to get all these up! My tank is finally clean enough I not shy about showing it off...lol

you can see most of my favia heads are now splitting, the pink chalice has 2 new heads & the war coral...well it has covered it's plug

sorry I can't post them directly y'all....2.5mb each photo!

Archived