Pod Your Reef

75g of Reefer

danthenewreefman

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
danthenewreefman

got big emerald crab & 3 peppermint shrimp today.

hoping to naturally combat the bubble algae and aptasia, with of course continuing manual removal of both once in a while, I like to let it build up a little and go on full attack for an hour or so if I'm going manual.

5g water change did today, cleaned heck outa canister, got a lot of murkey water off the phosphate media, polyp fiber had a good amount on it too.

I didn't have any top off water yesterday, so when i got some late today I put in almost 2gallons at once... I saw my tang "flash" or rub against a rock (sign of stress) but nothing else in way of problems. Need to add it slower next time.

danthenewreefman

setup 5.5g, would call it refugium, but really it just hides equipment. I've got the canister and heaters down there....would even work if I wanted to add a skimmer....hehe

flow down there is 50gph, flow in canister is 200gph w/o head-lift. So all water that goes down there gets cycled 4times through canister before it leaves back to maintain.

I'll call that a ghetto chemical reactor. patented.

also ordered 35$ worth stuff from reefcleaners.org, damn what a price...free shipping too! lol, I can't help myself, algae getting a little bad (for my taste) but not really. I notice a increase in coral growth speed, but i also see little cyano & green film on back wall.

orderd like 50dwarf certh

4 nassurius

3-4 florida certh

...3-4 some other type snail (10g quick clean kit + extra dwarfs)

some of their filter food (saw doc holiday's before and after...i want!!!)

& 30 empty hermit shells.

That would be $100 at LFS, if not $200.

hey, maybe it is over kill, maybe not...but the blue hermits are getting big, most outa the dozen are apparently full size, they'll eat um if they die & they'll hopefully eat them before any coral if they get bored.

redkneecoral

you have been through alot to get rid of that pest cyano. Glad to see your is looking so much better. Pays to do what you have to in order to keep a beautiful tank going. great job

danthenewreefman
you have been through alot to get rid of that pest cyano. Glad to see your is looking so much better. Pays to do what you have to in order to keep a beautiful tank going. great job

i could never get rid of it in the 30g (which had a DSB), this tank is proving MUCH easier to maintain.

BUT, on the flip side: The pods were 10x more abundant in the old tank AND everything seemed to grow faster in it that in this tank.

But I do hate the site of purple bubbles coming out of my sand!

reefcleaners.org:

love them! got like

100 dwarfs

10 nass

10 certh

40 periwinkles

50 empty hermit shells

2-3x what i ordered, and everything popped to life in 5 minutes after acclimation. I tell you it was a PILE of snails! lol

no escapes yet (periwinkles) but I'm watching them, the 75g tank has a big lip on it so I'm hopeful they don't/can't climb out.

danthenewreefman
thats awesome. send me some lol

probably like 20 of the big white dots in back top corner of glass.

haven't seen any of the periwinkle snails crawl out of tank yet, i poured them all on my rock island which doesn't touch the glass, they're so small I can't imagine them going back down and onto glass to crawl out of the tank.

danthenewreefman

at lunch I noticed a bunch of the white eggs all over my LR too!

looks like my 10 nerites are about to be many many more, if they survive....def enough for all to eat!

I didn't clean my overflow box, it was in use 2 months ago (garage since) and was never cleaned....got a little diatom bloom going on from the gunk inside it, nothing major though, just not super clean like i like it.

I knew I would see some type of bloom from all the dead sponges in the overflow, but I also knew i had 100+ snails coming so I wasn't worried, it isn't effecting parameters at all.

soon enough you'll have a mess load of those nerites lol

Soon as I am able to get back working again I need to order me some of those snails and a few other things

danthenewreefman
I didn't clean my overflow box, it was in use 2 months ago (garage since) and was never cleaned....got a little diatom bloom going on from the gunk inside it, nothing major though, just not super clean like i like it.

I knew I would see some type of bloom from all the dead sponges in the overflow, but I also knew i had 100+ snails coming so I wasn't worried, it isn't effecting parameters at all.

so dumb, so dumb....I've got diatoms like I never knew possible. I got rid of cyano...only to transition to the equally beautiful DIATOMS! (yay)

The gunk in the overflow is 100% gone! So I know the diatoms should subside soon (hopefully). It was FULL of dead pineapple sponges, but the bio filter in the tank is BEAST, all gone now!

I did probably 30g water change yesterday, helped a lot.

My tank temperature isn't staying stable either, going as high as 84 at some points. Which I'm sure causes the bloom to explode mid day and get less and less after the 10000k lights go off.

the nerites just KEEP laying eggs!!! I've got three big clusters on the back and I'm always spotting some here and there on the rocks.

...the glass is always half full though!!! All the snails go CRAZY for the diatoms!

still haven't seen any of the florida ceriths I ordered...no biggie though.

danthenewreefman

ca 440ppm

kh 10

no nitrates

pH 8.2

my thing says 1.023, when it reads 1.025 LFS said it was 1.028. So it is close enough to ideal.

I need a refrac.

danthenewreefman

goinopora is bitting the dust, I'm trying to move it around....etc...

it was faster grower in 30g, dying faster in 75g. My experience with goinopora polyformis: You MUST have cyano in your tank for it to be happy. Very limited experience, but that's my idea about it. If you don't have cyano, you don't have enough nutrients. I agree these corals need to live in systems with MUCH greater nutrient content than a typical reef tank.

tang is beating #### outa damsel i think...or damsel has the fish equivalent of gang-green (sp? lol)

almost cleared up now. case of domestic violence, tang had too much vodka that night!

danthenewreefman

all fish have bite marks, tang has slashes in dorsal fin. damsel healing great I think the large clown is the boss of the tank now, maybe she's trying to show off to her little man...

got purigen, new phosphate remover. did 25g water change, every gallon full of junk. tank looks amazingly clean, but the test is to see how it looks when i get back from the beach (wednesday).

might checkout a LFS down there!

danthenewreefman

seacritterdpeot.com is freaking awesome. Vicskimmer suggested them....wow is all i can say.

500sq ft with 4k g of water...you get the picture. iles wide enough for one person, tanks 8ft high.

I got a starry blenny from him. Had 5 to pick from! lol

great shop. He had mainly fish, almost any kind of you could think of. And his coral section was still huge.

danthenewreefman

so my diatom problem....

i've been thinking:

The overflow that wasn't cleaned, it was FULL of pineapple sponges probably a 1000 +.

Sponges are made up of silicates....which equals diatom food!

Cleaned sand crazy good and I've got the diatoms off everything right now....running canister with lights off for 2 hours now, going to clean canister and baste everything again in a minute.

My little clown fish got sucked in the canister...RIP.

Can see now after being away for 5 days the war, dragon eye, prisim favia, & ephyllia cristata look to be fading color. Moved all away from lights...hopefulyl they'll recover.

Archived