Coral Vue Hydros

75g of Reefer

danthenewreefman

danthenewreefman

The yellow tang finally seems to be accepting the purple. But he's harassed him so much, the purple has developed ich, not bad but he has it, started developing about 48hrs ago.

The positive is the yellow isn't chasing him anymore, and the purple ate for the first time this morning! And is swimming around normal!

I'm hopeful he'll recover, I feel like he'll probably make it now that he's eating and not getting chased... And he's a thick fish so I know he was healthy. Feel like it's 50/50 at this point, starting to eat has to be a very positive sign.

would really suck to have a 120 fish die...

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
danthenewreefman

The purple tang between yesterday and today has made HUGE improvements!

I fed the tank 6 cubes formula 2, 2 cubes cyclopeeze & several feedings of ocean nutrition pellets in the last 24hrs! lol

all my fish look preggers.

But I wanted the purple to get all the food it would eat, and it's made a difference literally overnight.

no chasing by yellow tang any more, he just jumps at the purple if it gets too close but no chasing any more.

Feel like its 80/20 now, still some white spots but 100% reduction overnight...yippie.

kaneklapqo6.gif

Good to hear! I got a yellow Saturday from that place in Kville I said I would never go to again. Dexter was closed and my wife wanted a fish, dont judge me! lol Anyway, they had one there for $150!

danthenewreefman

You'll never see hair algae again, beautiful thing.

Check out Starry or Red-lip Blenny, an algae blenny + a tang = no film or hair algae ever

you'll love it, those blennys I've mentioned are my favs but there are dozens to choose from.

at home sick today :mellow:

lawnmowerblenny

my lawnmower blenny makes easy work of film and hair algae, never have had a problem in my 55.

posta picture of the purp. tang please =D

btw those lights look sexy do you have a video on youtube of your tank?

ya that other store in kville is a joke 2!(tried so sell a messed up snowflake pair that didnt even look like snowflakes for like $175 each) haha if I wanted onyx clowns I'd get them from dexter for $15 each and they wouldnt look like the got torn up by a crab...

danthenewreefman

Tang wrangler

maroon%20and%20host.jpg

top%20bottom.jpg

side%20side.jpg

purple%20tang.jpg

The purple is actually slightly larger than the yellow, I couldn't tell until these photos.

Look at the maroons belly! You can see I've been feeding generously, I usually like to keep my fish thinner than most people.

If I ever go the office tank back up, I'm taking the ocellaris to work and getting a second smaller male maroon.

I really like the "attitude" maroons have, fits well with my other inhabitants.

danthenewreefman
my lawnmower blenny makes easy work of film and hair algae, never have had a problem in my 55.

posta picture of the purp. tang please =D

btw those lights look sexy do you have a video on youtube of your tank?

ya that other store in kville is a joke 2!(tried so sell a messed up snowflake pair that didnt even look like snowflakes for like $175 each) haha if I wanted onyx clowns I'd get them from dexter for $15 each and they wouldnt look like the got torn up by a crab...

no, sry man no utube vid -- but the lights are awesome, I like this mix a lot....not as much as scoopa's LEDs............

I'm still holding strong on my personal boycott of those "places".

You know you like those markings on that purple! Can't imagine how purty he'll be once full grown.

lawnmowerblenny

Nice

+1 to the boycott lol place was wack all I bought was a small gsp rock out of the display on the counter.

ya I like the tangs! I want a more active swimmer in my tank but Im thinking about a 6line wrasse but just can't make up my mind.

I dont think a tang would do well for long in my system.

I like the lights, corals def look amazing!

Thanks alot man, but ya know, they arent blue enough for me. I mean when i run just the blues it freakin spectacular, but with blue and whites its just not enough. I also miss that hint of purple I had with my fiji purple. I thinking of supplementing them with some blue and violet stunner strips. Don't get me wrong,I LOVE the fixtures, but I like alot of blue. I had only one white bulb in my T5 fixture. :P

danthenewreefman

I'm the same as you can see -- zero white bulbs in my combo!

supplement those Mu lights with some Blue+ bulbs and I'm sure you'll be happy.

I'm currently doing a blackout to try and rid myself of the cyano...having a dark tank really sucks when you're at home.

danthenewreefman

Just turned lights back on and fed the tank.

wow reduction in cyano, hopefully it don't just grow back.

Purple and Yellow tangs seems to be friends now after the blackout.

good things good things.

• 3 weeks later...
danthenewreefman

Destroyed cyano with the lights out

Coral are all doing great, all of the rescue acans have color again.

The purple tang is still looking rough, but he's eating well and I'm feeding heavily 3x per day.

I did order some Cuperamine (sp?) the Seachem external parasite medicine, I may try it on my tang, but I'm still not certain...

He's just eating so well I can't imagine him not recovering, if he stops eating I'll def pull him.

I may just have to get rid of the yellow if I want the purple to be happy....we'll see...

danthenewreefman

Using a mirror seemed to do the trick with the tangs --

I put a big mirror against the tank that covered one edge, the tangs (and all the other fish) are now more interested in the mirror than the other fish.

Really sucks, too broke this month to really buy anything

• 2 weeks later...
danthenewreefman

added a new FTS to first post of thread.

tangs are happy together now, both look great and are eating well.

added a new FTS to first post of thread.

tangs are happy together now, both look great and are eating well.

Good to hear you get to keep both

danthenewreefman

dapurp.JPG

Thanks, I'm happy too. Looks like they're settling in, and all seem happy together, which makes me happy. fat fish, i think they know who feeds them... :-)

danthenewreefman

2 urchins & 3 emeralds arrived from Sealifeinc.net

I put them in the group with reefcleaners.org -- amazing companies to deal with. Packaging was great, all live stock looks better than expected and a free crab...can't go wrong.

danthenewreefman

I need another pod-predator -- I'm starting to loose zoa/palys again.

I can see them swarming all over the polyps when I flip the lights on.

Green People Eaters are their favorite to eat.

I need another pod-predator -- I'm starting to loose zoa/palys again.

I can see them swarming all over the polyps when I flip the lights on.

Green People Eaters are their favorite to eat.

That sucks man. I'm having the same problem with ironically, my purple zoas (not ppe though). Unfortunately, I'm not sure who is the culprit.

danthenewreefman
That sucks man. I'm having the same problem with ironically, my purple zoas (not ppe though). Unfortunately, I'm not sure who is the culprit.

zoa eating pods are more prevalent than most people think i believe...

My local people -- Greensboro is switching from chlorine to chloramines in September.

danthenewreefman

tri color no flash

wow2-lowD.jpg

tri color w/ flash

wow-lowD.jpg

six line wrasse

six+line+wrasse-lowD.jpg

purple tort ?

purple+tort-lowD.jpg

purple tang

purple+tang+HD-lowD.jpg

purple bonsai

purple+bonsai-lowD.jpg

orange yuma

orange+yuma-lowD.jpg

urchin zoa combo

urchin+zoa+combo-lowD.jpg

danthenewreefman
Sup Dan? Did you add the wrasse to take a handle on your pod prob?

and lol at the urchin... so :ninja:

I did add the wrasse for the amphipod problem, and it's honestly making little impact. I'm losing zoanthids/palys bad.

Although there do seem to be a few species that they can't eat -- 90% are edible to them (they don't eat ugly ones)

And I don't want to give them/sell them to anyone in fear I'll just share my problem.

soft coral eating amphipods are more prevalent than most people think, there seem to be a lot of internet post regarding them eating people eater palys.

OMG 8x54w 48" TEK T5 light WITH tank legs on my local craiglist...

Trying to negotiate a deal for it!!!

OMG I would be so happy to get that....

I did add the wrasse for the amphipod problem, and it's honestly making little impact. I'm losing zoanthids/palys bad.

Although there do seem to be a few species that they can't eat -- 90% are edible to them (they don't eat ugly ones)

And I don't want to give them/sell them to anyone in fear I'll just share my problem.

soft coral eating amphipods are more prevalent than most people think, there seem to be a lot of internet post regarding them eating people eater palys.

OMG 8x54w 48" TEK T5 light WITH tank legs on my local craiglist...

Trying to negotiate a deal for it!!!

OMG I would be so happy to get that....

I saw it. Even if you dont talk him down, thats still a good price. Wish it was around when I was light shopping..lol

Archived