Pod Your Reef

Seabass's 17.4 Gallon (taken down)

seabass

how deep does a DSB need to be to be considered a DSB? also what kind of sand should be used in a DSB?
It has a lot to do with a deep enough layer that properly supports denitrification. As a general rule, I'd say at least 6". However, to a degree, it does depend on the size of the sand grains that make up the bed.

Squared I don't want to jack the thread so Ask here & I'll answer any Questions you have on sand.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=260742

Wow, that's some writeup! I'll look into that thread a little closer.
  • Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
awesome stuff.. hopefully you'll see some good returns from the CO2 in the grass
Thanks!

just spent an hour reading thru the thread...awesome setup!
Cool...it's only fitting since I read through your whole DSB Solana thread. ;) Thank you, I'm glad you checked it out.

My Cardinalfish is doing pretty well. It's not very shy at all anymore. I've been feeding sunken flakes with an eyedropper because he has some difficulty getting them off the surface. He can surface feed, but this seems to be working best for now. Anyway...I put the eyedropper in the tank and he came right up to it looking for food (he even bit the glass before I could squeeze it out).

My Blenny is eating fine too once again (he didn't eat for a couple of days after the transfer). He likes the barnacle cluster, but doesn't seem overly impressed with the plumbing (as he likes to have his head out looking around more than hanging out in a burrow). He'll use the non-drilled barnacles as much as the drilled one.

The pH has dropped to around 8.0, but I haven't seen it lower than that. I'll have to play with the charting function on the RK2 to see what's going on at night. I've been contemplating sticking the solenoid on a timer to shut down CO2 at night (in addition to when pH gets low).

One negative to my CO2 dosing, seems to be that my Blue Xenia doesn't extend it polyps as much. I'm guessing that's a reaction to the lower pH. It looks otherwise healthy, so I'll keep my eye on it for awhile to see if it adjusts (before I just move it to another tank).

Dude that sucks, I'm sorry.
I know right?

Thanks bitts, I guess I knew that was a possibility, but a top on a rimless tank would look kinda dumb. Plus, pretty much all of my tanks have been open tops.

Thanks ~LB~.

Aww sorry to hear :(
Thanks AM.

your tank is so unusual, I really like it.
:)

Awww sorry about Benny, he was pretty cool
Yeah, he added some personality that will be missed.

Hmm...could be to early in the morning, but I'm not sure that I follow.

They induced phyto blooms by adding nutrients to the seawater. Then tested the effects of various CO
levels on three different test tanks.

Carbon-13 labeled bicarbonate was added to follow the dissolved inorganic carbon into the phyto, then into the bacteria and settling particles. Carbon transfer (uptake of bicarbonate) was measured using isotope ratios in the fatty acids of the phyto and bacteria.

The phyto showed higher carbon-13 (bicarbonate) ratios in one day, while the bacteria showed enrichment in three days. The phyto showed higher enrichment ratios than the green algae. However, the elevated CO
levels had a notable positive effect (higher concentrations of bicarbonate?) on green algae and bacteria after the phyto bloom.

I'm not sure if that means that the phyto utilizes the bicarbonate so that it becomes more available for use by the green algae (at which point the addition of CO2 results in faster uptake of bicarbonate). :unsure: Also, is the CO2 affecting the efficiency of the carbon transfer, or just accelerating growth (which results in higher consumption of bicarbonate)?

It's interesting...I assume that the CO2 accelerated growth which resulted in higher carbon-13 ratios. However, I don't understand what the phyto bloom has to do with it.

On a related side note, I've been dosing phyto for the last three days. Plus, I have future plans to dose alkalinity. I'm not sure, but I think I'm seeing some positive signs of growth.

Also, I added a diffuser to the CO2 supply yesterday. This seemed to have a more pronounced affect on the pH, so I reduced the flow and adjusted the controller to turn on the CO2 at 8.05 and shut it down at 7.95.

Are you going to add any other types of algea to this tank?
No plans right now. Although I would think that a single species of red algae would look nice. We'll see.
Hmm...could be to early in the morning, but I'm not sure that I follow.

They induced phyto blooms by adding nutrients to the seawater. Then tested the effects of various CO
levels on three different test tanks.

Carbon-13 labeled bicarbonate was added to follow the dissolved inorganic carbon into the phyto, then into the bacteria and settling particles. Carbon transfer (uptake of bicarbonate) was measured using isotope ratios in the fatty acids of the phyto and bacteria.

The phyto showed higher carbon-13 (bicarbonate) ratios in one day, while the bacteria showed enrichment in three days. The phyto showed higher enrichment ratios than the green algae. However, the elevated CO
levels had a notable positive effect (higher concentrations of bicarbonate?) on green algae and bacteria after the phyto bloom.

I'm not sure if that means that the phyto utilizes the bicarbonate so that it becomes more available for use by the green algae (at which point the addition of CO2 results in faster uptake of bicarbonate). :unsure: Also, is the CO2 affecting the efficiency of the carbon transfer, or just accelerating growth (which results in higher consumption of bicarbonate)?

It's interesting...I assume that the CO2 accelerated growth which resulted in higher carbon-13 ratios. However, I don't understand what the phyto bloom has to do with it.

On a related side note, I've been dosing phyto for the last three days. Plus, I have future plans to dose alkalinity. I'm not sure, but I think I'm seeing some positive signs of growth.

Also, I added a diffuser to the CO2 supply yesterday. This seemed to have a more pronounced affect on the pH, so I reduced the flow and adjusted the controller to turn on the CO2 at 8.05 and shut it down at 7.95.

ok short answers

what the bloom means to the tank is that the algae are using the CO2 As inorganic carbon allowing for rapid nutrient uptake. then this is in turn creating a surge in the bacterial population. the result will be comparable to vodka dosing if it works the same way in the tank. It should theoretically cause a comparable result in the seagrass . yes with these effect on the nutrients (N, P, C, O) that are in flux, the alk will need to be supported even more than normally. It also means to watch for the phyto & bacteria to convert into DOP & settle out as detiritus. Or possibly cause random nutrient spikes from sudden die off.

I decided to remove my barnacle cluster since my blenny is gone. Of course, the PVC pipes were where the seagrass was growing. The tank got too cloudy to see what was going on, but I know I buried a good chunk of the grass. However, I was impressed by the root structure that had built up (could feel it, not see it).

Ultimately, I think I'm happy I did it while the bed was still relatively immature. I'm guessing the seagrass will be fine, and I think the aquascape will look better without the barnacle cluster. I'll use it for a jawfish in my future 100 gallon tank.

The Blue Xenia never seemed to be happy since I started dosing CO2/lowering the pH, so I moved that to another tank. Maybe I'll try a couple torches instead.

Looking pretty good seabass. I love this tank :wub: Can't wait to see the seagrass grow out!
Thank you Zer0! I wasn't sure at first, but it looks to me that the seagrass is going to make it.

Current FTS:

022711a.jpg

Seagrass after my major disruption of the sand bed:

022711b.jpg

Plate coral:

022711c.jpg

Anemones:

022711d.jpg

Archived