Top Shelf Aquatics

Seabass's 17.4 Gallon (taken down)

seabass

Those patinas sound awesome... Thanks for the link. I've applied patinas to copper foil on stained glass before, but that's about it.

Obviously some of these are more involved than others, but they're definitely piquing me interest...

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plumbing is painted:

011811a.jpg

I replaced the drain elbow (that came with the Glass-Holes.com kit) with a tee instead.

011811b.jpg

This will give me a chance to adjust the hole size if I need to.

Plans for that rock on the glass?
The sand will come up to the bottom of that rock. It is against the glass to add as much depth as possible. I secured it because I didn't want it just resting against the glass.

I'll either put an anemone on that rock or some type of coral. I'm not sure about which corals I want to add yet. Any suggestions for a seagrass reef? I'm leaning toward some of my Cespitularia (Blue Xenia). That (along with a few Rock Flower Anemones) might be all that I'll stock besides the grasses.

Thanks LB!

I actually have a Blue Head Combtooth Blenny and a Red Spot Glass Cardinalfish for this tank. No immediate plans for shrimp, but maybe down the road.

:happydance:

Show off.

Are you gonna paint the lower plumbing copper or black?
I don't have plans to paint it at the moment. I suppose that all black would look good, but you'll see the unpainted skimmer protruding out of the sump too. When viewing the tank, it will all be black . I guess I'm alright with it not being painted.

...shoot, now you got me thinking I should paint it. :angry:

:lol:

:happydance:

I don't have plans to paint it at the moment. I suppose that all black would look good, but you'll see the unpainted skimmer protruding out of the sump too. When viewing the tank, it will all be black . I guess I'm alright with it not being painted.

...shoot, now you got me thinking I should paint it. :angry:

:lol:

If the skimmer has a black cap and black pvc parts, then it would match (either copper or black). I think painting the pvc would look good, or at least make it more consistent with the rest of the stand. In my opinion there is a clash between the white plastic look of the PVC vs. the copper plumbing and the black parts.

Brilliant.

I can't believe how well this is coming together. I love how open and industrial the whole thing is. The grass will definitely warm it up some.

Looking forward to water.

animalmaster6
The sand will come up to the bottom of that rock. It is against the glass to add as much depth as possible. I secured it because I didn't want it just resting against the glass.

I'll either put an anemone on that rock or some type of coral. I'm not sure about which corals I want to add yet. Any suggestions for a seagrass reef? I'm leaning toward some of my Cespitularia (Blue Xenia). That (along with a few Rock Flower Anemones) might be all that I'll stock besides the grasses.

Ahh I see. That's a really good idea. Should definetly be perfect for seagrass :)

I replied to this yesterday but right before I finished my computer crapped out :lol: Anyways,

In the wild, Catalaphyllia will live in Seagrass patches. I think a Catalphyllia would look awesome in here. I also think a bubble coral would look pretty nice. Any corals like that. Maybe a Fox Coral? If you can keep them alive an Alveopora or Goniopora would look sweet in here. Also a Helifungia plate coral would look nice. THose are just a few ideas. If you do some googling there might be some inspiration online.

I can't believe how well this is coming together.
Thank you!

Thanks for the suggestions AM. I have a plate coral that I could use.

Nice setup. What tank do you have your redspot in? Like u said on my thread that u got one. Trouble with them. Honestly I think is the "food". Alot of people think it's better to feed less cause of water quality but in the ocean they feed all the time from the water column. So the constant food supply does seem to be the key. They seem to be hardy but not everyone feeds enough. Just from what I have seem. I'm going to try to get mine to breed so fingers crossed. Hope your little guy is doing good. :)

Thanks neuwave.

What tank do you have your redspot in?
I have a temporary 50 gallon tank that is holding some coral and my two fish for this tank.

So the constant food supply does seem to be the key. They seem to be hardy but not everyone feeds enough.
My Red Spot seems to be doing fine. I'm feeding until it refuses to eat anymore (roughly twice a day). I have to admit that I didn't research them enough before I purchased them and wasn't prepared for a high maintenance fish. Hopefully, he will do fine by himself (as they obviously want to be with other Red Spots).

Gotcha a temp tank but you have to get this one up in running its looks really really sweet. I like the copper color on the pipes. Great setup.

Good to hear the little guy is doing good. I'm sure he'll be just fine. =)

I think painting the pvc would look good, or at least make it more consistent with the rest of the stand. In my opinion there is a clash between the white plastic look of the PVC vs. the copper plumbing and the black parts.

I must say, I agree w/ this.

And again, this whole project is looking fantastic - both in design and in execution/workmanship. Kudos!

Gotcha a temp tank but you have to get this one up in running its looks really really sweet. I like the copper color on the pipes. Great setup.
Thanks again!

I must say, I agree w/ this.
I do too. I'm pretty sure it would look better painted.

And again, this whole project is looking fantastic - both in design and in execution/workmanship. Kudos!
TY Mudfish!

Yup paint the pipes.
Now I have the choice of filling the tank or painting the rest of the pipes. :unsure: I would really like to get water in it today. Maybe I'll fill it with water, and paint it later on if I don't like them unpainted. It kind of has an industrial look, maybe it will grow on me.

Sand up to the bottom of that rock? I'm cornfused! talk about your deep sand bed! Why so much sand?
Yep, a true DSB is unusual in a nano; however, this tank will be for seagrass (which does better in deeper substrate). I'm convinced that mid-level sand beds develop more problems than very shallow (1"), or very deep (6") sand beds.

Had the sand (with a jar of Fiji Mud) curing for a few months:

012211a.jpg

View without the muddy water:

012211b.jpg

I added another jar of mud to the bottom half of the substrate.

Sump with equipment:

012211c.jpg

Finally, some water:

012211d.jpg

Archived