Innovative Marine Aquariums

Seabass's 17.4 Gallon (taken down)

seabass

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the second time I've dipped a lighted Tek light in water.

Jesus, dude - watch yer step.

Luckily the GFCI tripped instantly and everything was alright.

Professionalism for the win! Another testimonial for GFCI on all tank circuits.

At first glance the tank looks like a "shallow" tank. Then you back out and then BAM!!! you see all the sand.

Very nice

At first glance the tank looks like a "shallow" tank. Then you back out and then BAM!!! you see all the sand.
Thanks GG! Yeah, it's like a 7 gallon shallow tank. I wasn't sure at first, but I'm kind of diggin' the DSB.

This tank is gonna be so full of win!
TY Matt!

I just had my iPhone with me today, but I'll get some new tank pics tomorrow; hopefully, with fish.

That's a lot of sand.
Welcome to my thread Lalani!

Bring back the sand castle. :(
:lol: I agree with you and doppelganger.

I moved my fish today. My Blenny didn't seem very happy about it and my Red Spot is still adjusting. Here is a pic of my seagrass:

020311b.jpg

Cespitularia (Blue Xenia):

020311a.jpg

Really Really Cool!!
Thanks! He seems just as happy in the non-drilled barnacles as the drilled one.

073110h.jpg073110i.jpg

I suppose a Jawfish would appreciate the plumbing more.

that's just awesome :happy:
Thanks again LB!

My Cardinalfish ate well yesterday. However, the Blenny isn't as used to the increased flow quite yet. I have the MP10 turned down all the way, but it still puts out more flow than the tank they were previously in. Even in feed mode, the MP 10 can keep the food moving fairly quick.

Tremendous execution! It looks awesome!

Can't wait for the grass to start taking off!

Do you have to keep your nitrates pretty high for that stuff?

Do you have to keep your nitrates pretty high for that stuff?
Thanks!

I've tried seagrass before and was unsuccessful. I can't really say that I know what is going to work. You are correct in that lack of nitrate (even phosphate) can be a limiting factor. I even got to the point of dosing nitrate and phosphate in an attempt to spur growth.

The substrate, lighting and CO2 are also important contributors. This time I have a true DSB (with some mud), better lighting, and will be dosing CO2 with a CO2 tank and the help of my controller (to prevent low pH values). It will be interesting to see if my changes are going to be successful.

I've tried seagrass before and was unsuccessful. I can't really say that I know what is going to work. You are correct in that lack of nitrate (even phosphate) can be a limiting factor. I even got to the point of dosing nitrate and phosphate in an attempt to spur growth.

How do you dose those two things?!

I'm sure your fish will like the extra food.

This time I have a true DSB

Haha you're not kidding!! :o :o

How do you dose those two things?! I'm sure your fish will like the extra food.
I used KNO3 (potassium nitrate) and KH2PO4 (monopotassium phosphate); but yes, feeding and bio-load can help. The DSB will likely make maintaining nitrate more difficult. I still have a lot more to learn about it.

Benny the blenny looks happy. Glad your blenny is doing well!
Thanks. He didn't eat yesterday, but I'm not too worried about him. I'll work something out that he's happy with.

A pic of my Cardinalfish with my Blenny overseeing the action:

020511a.jpg

You get a good idea of their size by comparing them against the 1/2" PVC and power cords in the background.

Archived