Pod Your Reef

Seabass's 17.4 Gallon (taken down)

seabass

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you seen my thread in the fish forum?
Yeah, plus I've done a little more research too. It seems that once they get established, they are less delicate. I'm concerned about the one that's not eating as well as the other two.

I was expecting them to act more like the Orange Lined Cardinalfish. That fish would swim right to me looking for a meal whenever I shut off the pumps. These guys get afraid and hide whenever I put my eyedropper of food near the water; but they then casually swim back into the feeding area to eat.

They are interesting fish, I feel bad that two of them didn't make it. I'm feeling fairly good about the two that seem to eat as much as a clownfish that is twice their size.

dave had the same issue's with them. their getting to be more & more common but the attrition rate is formidable. someday they'll be like mandarins but in the mean time frustrating as hell for every one I've seen try them.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread, Seabass. I'm sorry about the little guys. Can you give us an update on the blenny and even indulge us with a partial shot of the tank and the stand??? I'd love to see how you handled the dsb. I read in another thread that a guy uses a chop stick to keep the sand up against the glass clean. Just once a month, he gives it a light stir around the perimeter.

This is a great setup!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! Here is a quick update before I fill it with water and share some pics.

The stand is completed and I will be filling it with water, sand, and rocks this week. Another Cardinalfish went MIA last week. :( However, the Blenny is doing well (I'm leaving one of the pumps off because he has made a home for himself in there).

So I hear you're plumbing it today? Good luck! I can't wait to see it in action.
Started to, but I changed my mind a bit. I was going to use black flexible tubing, but decided to use PVC instead. Now I need to get a few more fittings and I have some painting to do.

delayed.png

Completed stand:

010911b.jpg

Underside of sump platform (with levelers):

010911a.jpg

Filter sock support:

010911c.jpg

Plumbing:

010911d.jpg

(the upper portions will be painted black)

Looks like some water could be in there in the near future!!!
:lol: I've been thinking that same thing for a couple of months now. However, I think you're right.

I'll probably paint the top section of the PVC tomorrow. Maybe I'll fill it on Tuesday. fingerscrossed

Thanks LB and Clavius!

Do I need to secure the drainpipe somehow, or can it just hang there from the back bulkhead? The plumbing is a bit longer than if the bottom was drilled, and it could provide additional leverage/force. Thoughts?

Thanks LB and Clavius!

Do I need to secure the drainpipe somehow, or can it just hang there from the back bulkhead? The plumbing is a bit longer than if the bottom was drilled, and it could provide additional leverage/force. Thoughts?

Im not sure what you mean by the plumbing being longer but the drainpipe should be fine just attached to the bulkhead. Thats how mine is and dont see any effects.

Very nicely done!
TY!

Im not sure what you mean by the plumbing being longer but the drainpipe should be fine just attached to the bulkhead. Thats how mine is and dont see any effects.
Thanks gutterguy, I'm probably just over thinking it.

A shorter pipe from a bottom bulkhead wouldn't provide as much stress on the glass as a longer pipe coming from the back (the longer the pipe, the stronger the lever, and the greater the stress on the glass that it's attached to). My concern was that it might be possible to break the glass simply by bumping the drainpipe. However, it will be out of the way, so I probably don't have to worry about it too much.

Now i understand, and I never thought of that(with it being out of the way) but it could deffinatly happen if it was to get pulled on or bumped hard.

Seabass,

Stand looks awesome man!

regarding the pipe hanging, you might consider securing them. The effect on the glass depends on the thickness of the glass as well. Since it's a smaller tank I'm assuming 3/16" or 1/4" glass? You may consider using some straps and securing it to the back of the stand, that's what I did. The PVC itself is pretty light, but once it's filled with water will weigh more. I'm definitely not an expert, but better safe than sorry, right?

I've learned that I should do it the way I want to from the start. If you're thinking of securing the pipe and then change your mind, and then fill the tank; later you'll be all like "man I wish I would have done this".

Also, did you coat your copper pipe with anything? A while back I was into photography a lot and I would switch out art a lot so I mounted a copper pipe along the wall and hung pictures from it. To prevent any possible oxidation/smudging I believe I coated the pipe with some spray poly. Did you coat the pipe with anything? On my current copper light fixture I haven't coated it, but I'm thinking of cleaning it with some brasso and brushing on some oil-base poly.

Stand looks awesome man!
Thank you kind sir.

regarding the pipe hanging, you might consider securing them
You're probably right. I've been picturing myself bumping the pipe when cleaning the filter sock...and cracking the back glass. Nightmare right?

Also, did you coat your copper pipe with anything?
No, I'm actually looking forward to the whole thing browning like a penny. However, I found that you can get that oxidation off with some 0000 superfine synthetic steel wool pads (without scratching it up too bad).

Hmm... that's an interesting idea. Perhaps one I haven't considered before.

Now I'm wondering if there's a way to artificially age the copper. I know that on my piping on the places I touched it there are dark finger smudges/fingerprints all over. So I'm supposing that the oils from your hand can cause the copper to tarnish.

Hmmm... I just dug through my drawer and pulled out a bunch of pennies and aligned them from oldest to newest. I see that the older pennies are almost an olive color, being completely tarnished. The ones I like the most were from about 10 years ago. Most of them were evenly tarnished, but you could still see some vibrance to the copper, some shine if you will. The newer ones were a little too blotchy for my liking, though had some irridescence to them, which was sort of cool.

Now I'm wondering if there's a way to artificially age the copper.
There are some patina recipes online if you search. Some are pretty simple depending on the color you are shooting for.

Snow day today...I didn't get around to painting the plumbing. However, I did buy some copper pipe hangers like this:

Milford-Hanger.jpg

to zip tie the plumbing to the stand. It won't be rock solid, but should provide some support (better than nothing).

Archived