Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Seabass's 17.4 Gallon (taken down)

seabass

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks great! I can't wait to see the seagrass grow out :)
Thanks AM, me too!

nice plate. always wanted one, but i can't because of my srhimp. do you know the possibility of rock nems eating fish and shrimp?
Thanks Squared. The Rock Flower Anemones are awesome reef anemones. They tend to stay put, and I've kept them with all sorts of fish and shrimp. The only thing that might have happened, is that I've had a Yellow Clown Goby (a fish that likes to perch on coral) go missing. Who's to say what happened to it, but a meal for the anemone is a possibility.

they are cheap and pretty, and i want...whatis the best amout of flow for them?

i'd be worried about my tangaroa goby, as he likes to perch.

they are cheap and pretty, and i want...whatis the best amout of flow for them?

i'd be worried about my tangaroa goby, as he likes to perch.

They don't need that much flow or light compared to host anemones (T5 lighting is good enough). They don't need to be fed that much, but appreciate being fed (which is impressive to watch). I've kept Clown Gobies in tanks with multiple Rock Flower Anemones for years without problems (although I wouldn't guarantee that your fish would be wise enough to stay clear).
Damn your tank is nice and clean! It's so minimal and awesome! How do you keep it that clean? Also, are those red spots jumpers?
Thanks! So far all I've had to do is wipe off the glass and empty my skimmer. Probably should do my first water change this week (not too proud of not having done one yet). :mellow:

I've had an Orange Lined Cardinalfish jump, but not a Red Spot yet. However, I'm sure that's a possibility. I would guess that it's as likely to jump as a clownfish. I hope it doesn't jump as this will remain an open top tank.

Thanks! So far all I've had to do is wipe off the glass and empty my skimmer. Probably should do my first water change this week (not too proud of not having done one yet). :mellow:

I've had an Orange Lined Cardinalfish jump, but not a Red Spot yet. However, I'm sure that's a possibility. I would guess that it's as likely to jump as a clownfish. I hope it doesn't jump as this will remain an open top tank.

Cool. You use a mag float or something?

My tank is going to be open top as well so i'm just thinking of my possibilities and trying to pick a fish least likely to jump. I know one fish is definitely going to be a clown goby, but i'm not sure what else. I wanted one ocellaris but i'm afraid he/she might jump.. :/

Cool. You use a mag float or something?

My tank is going to be open top as well so i'm just thinking of my possibilities and trying to pick a fish least likely to jump. I know one fish is definitely going to be a clown goby, but i'm not sure what else. I wanted one ocellaris but i'm afraid he/she might jump.. :/

I don't use a magnet cleaner because the water is only 7" deep, and it's easier to get sand trapped in a mag cleaner. I've been using a plastic scraper every few days.

I've had a Clowfish and Yellow Clown Goby jump too. I'm not sure there are ever any guarantees that a fish won't jump. I think having a peaceful tank can help (I believe that having enough room and hiding spots doesn't hurt either).

Very nice looking tank,. the stand looks awesome,.
Thanks Boricua!

It's simple all fish jump.
But not every fish does. ;)

Here's a shot of my Cardinalfish...

030111a.jpg

before he jumps. :o JK bitts, I really hope he doesn't.

I assume these are snail eggs on the front glass:

030111b.jpg

The seagrass:

030111c.jpg

It appears that I have two different species, Oar and maybe Shoal grass? :unsure:

Thanks doppelganger!

Well, still no water change, but I finally did my first tests (besides pH, SG, and temp):

calcium: 460 ppm (API test kit)

alkalinity: 11 dKH (API test kit)

nitrate: not detectable (API test kit)

phosphate: not detectable (API test kit)

pH confirmation: 8 (API test kit)

pH: 8.0 (DA RK2 controller)

temperature: 80.0ºF (DA RK2 controller)

I removed my big rock (w/ anemone) because I noticed some pest macro algae and pineapple sponges (which I'm not a fan of) on it. I replaced it with another piece of dry Fiji rock. Also, I noticed a couple of flatworms that must have come over on one of the anemone rocks. :angry: I'll treat the whole tank tomorrow before it gets out of control. Water change will follow.

You can see the seagrass releasing oxygen into the water:

031111a.jpg

Notice the trail of gas coming from the grass in the lower center.

The snail eggs are progressing nicely:

031111b.jpg

More are popping up in other areas. I'm trying not to scrape them off, but I'm not always successful.

You can see the seagrass releasing oxygen into the water:

031111a.jpg

Notice the trail of gas coming from the grass in the lower center.

The snail eggs are progressing nicely:

031111b.jpg

More are popping up in other areas. I'm trying not to scrape them off, but I'm not always successful.

very cool :happy:

Thanks ~LB~! I think they are Strombus (Strombus maculatus) eggs. I've had them breed in one of my other tanks, so I'm thinking there is a good chance they will make it. Since I didn't notice the eggs in my other tank, I have no idea how long it will take. Kind of interesting though.

The seagrass seems to be getting healthier. I'm kind of surprised I got a shot of the gas trails with my point and shoot. I'm hoping it really starts to fill in during the next couple of weeks.

My anemone decided to move last night:

031411a.jpg

It's strange because they tend to stay put.

I'm not very comfortable about its new home:

031411b.jpg

First scraper:

031411c.jpg

Second scraper:

031411d.jpg

Free:

031411e.jpg

I hope it's happy here:

031411f.jpg

FTS:

031411g.jpg

Seagrass:

031411h.jpg

I've noticed a few of these on the glass:

031411i.jpg

Any thoughts as to what it is/will be? Pest or harmless?

doppelganger

thing on the glass is a hydroid. They'll come and go.

Good thing got to the rock nem before it got into the vortech :o

Put the foam on the vortech quick.

Damn Weetie told me what to use for that once but I can't remember the name.

Archived