inTank Media Baskets

Seabass's 17.4 Gallon (taken down)

seabass

awwwwwwww poooooo that sucks. are going to try them again? or get something different?
Something different. I don't know if they all suffered from the same illness or if it was something that I didn't do right; so I don't want to be irresponsible and lose more of them. However, I'm not prepared to say that they are too hard to keep.
  • Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first setup my skimmer, the pump was making an unusual noise. I messed with it a bit and it seemed alright. Then recently it stopped working properly. I ordered a replacement needle wheel from SoCal Tropical Fish Outlet. It's working fine again and sounds like it should.

041011a.jpg

You may want to look up more info on tube anemones. They're filter feeders, and have very little sting. I had one and LOVED it, wish I had the sand bed for another. Rather peaceful, but their 'wing span' is GIANT. I had mine in with seahorses. It ate the mysis, is non photosynthetic, so needs to be fed often.

(love the tank too, by the way. I'm checking on it a lot)

Dont know about the worms but I could sit and watch the gases bubble all day. That is way cool!!

Patina looks great too!

Thanks Swanwillow!

...their 'wing span' is GIANT.
I'll consider a tube anemone; however, the seagrass is quickly taking up all available real estate. I'm thinking that one day I'll even need to move my plate coral. :unsure:

Thank you GG! :) I'm kind of amazed at the amount of gas too. You can see it with the pumps running, but it's even more apparent when you turn them off.

Monochrome5

For what it's worth, your worm looks like a nematode. Commonly associated with marine plants and very destructive to wooden boat hulls. So no sailing in this tank!

For what it's worth, your worm looks like a nematode. Commonly associated with marine plants and very destructive to wooden boat hulls. So no sailing in this tank!
:lol: Thank you, that would make sense.

They even drank Spongbob's house. :(

1.jpg

OK, after doing a little research, "To reiterate, the only motion that nematodes can do is to flex, either in the up (dorsal) or down (ventral) direction. They simply cannot move in any other manner." they might not be nematodes. :unsure:

Just playing with trying to get a macro shot using a magnifying glass:

041611a.jpg

Not that bad of a shot of my plate coral.

Thanks Mudfish. :)

I'm going to tear apart a holding tank that housed my Ocellaris Clownfish and several corals, so I thought I'd move my clownfish into this tank during the process. She's three or four years old and seems to be enjoying the abundance of pods in this tank. However, I'm not sure whether or not I plan to keep her here. I also added a Rose Rock Flower Anemone from that tank (which you can see below).

041911a.jpg

steviejitsu

your clownfish picks on pods? Does it look around the tank for them? My clownfish is so lazy. It just waits for me to feed it.

Yeah, she's an active swimmer (however, I've also had others that have just hung out in one spot). She definitely seems to be hunting pods, and I really don't think she's underfed.

Amphiprion1

I see that the grass is starting to fill in pretty nicely. Is it just oar grass (which is all I see) or did you include any other species?

I purchased Oar grass, but also got a bit of Shoal grass with it. The Shoal grass is now almost as high as the water level; I really like it. I'll post an update this week so you can see it's growth.

I purchased Oar grass, but also got a bit of Shoal grass with it. The Shoal grass is now almost as high as the water level; I really like it.

Awesome. Pics! Pics!

Rose Rock Flower Anemone moved slightly to the back:

042711a.jpg

Side view of tank:

042711b.jpg

Close up of seagrass:

042711c.jpg

Seagrass:

042711d.jpg

Clownfish:

042711e.jpg

Seagrass encroaching on plate coral:

042711f.jpg

FTS:

042711g.jpg

I'll probably switch out the Clownfish for a couple of Gobies after awhile. I may have to move my Fungia too, but so far it doesn't seem irritated by the surrounding grass. :unsure:

Amphiprion1

Very nice. Seems to be filling in quickly, as well. Just keep an eye out and don't let it get too thick like I did. It eventually leads to unhealthy grasses. I'm going to be keeping growth trimmed back on my new system to try to side step that. I'm also going to be pulling/cutting rhizomes, because they compact the sand and cause the same issues with overcrowding that the leaves do.

Seabass, the tank looks nice. I've been scoping out local stores for a nice rock flower nem like that. I like the way it looks in your tank.

Anyways, I think I'll get that needle wheel impeller... At first I was just content to replacing the enkamat or whatever on the meshwheel, but I should probably buy it before it's sold out or discontinued... That's happened to me recently with some other stuff and I'm trying to buy replacement parts for something made in 2005... Sucks that manufacturers aren't supporting their very long nowadays.

Very nice. Seems to be filling in quickly, as well. Just keep an eye out and don't let it get too thick like I did. It eventually leads to unhealthy grasses. I'm going to be keeping growth trimmed back on my new system to try to side step that.
Thanks! Do you just pull up the rhizomes, dig it up along with the substrate, or actually trim it somehow?

Seabass, the tank looks nice.
Thanks AJ. :)
Amphiprion1
Thanks! Do you just pull up the rhizomes, dig it up along with the substrate, or actually trim it somehow?

What I found that seemed to work well was to actually run a razor blade through the sand to cut the rhizomes, then pull them up. It puts a bit less stress on each individual rhizome and makes uprooting them a lot easier. I just didn't do it often enough, admittedly.

Arcbound Phyrexian

I didn't read the whole thread, but why is the sand bed so deep? Is it to accommodate the sea grass? (I know nothing about it. :P)

Archived