Coral Vue Hydros

Seabass's 17.4 Gallon (taken down)

seabass

Thank you racechase! Yeah, they can be a pain, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. My other tank had more, but now they are all but eradicated from that tank. I'm going to quarantine better in the future.

macro of red flower nem? =)

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
macro of red flower nem? =)
Here you go:

060711a.jpg

I am in love with your tank. It's such a cool and unique idea. It looks fantastic.
Thank you so much!
tank's looking awesome! So unique and amazing. Great job!
:) Thanks!

Looks great! Love the deep sand bed...
Thank you Mitch, and thanks for stopping by!

So.. you siphoned dead flatworms into your sump?
No...well yes, but mostly no. :lol: They were siphoned into the mesh media bag and removed. The idea is to siphon out as many live flatworms as you can before treating with Flatworm eXit. However, I have to admit that the mesh bag siphon was so handy, that I used it to remove some dieing flatworms too. Then I removed the stragglers with a turkey baster.

Crap, lol, I forgot the mesh bag was attached to the end of the hose. Duh. I was thinking the whole time, who the heck would want to siphon the flatworms in to their sump, when they could just as easily make it back in to the DT. But now I feel like a dum.

Anyways, speaking of sump.. can we get a recent pic? I don't think you've posted pics of your sump too much lol.

...speaking of sump.. can we get a recent pic? I don't think you've posted pics of your sump too much lol.
Funny, I cleaned it out a bit last week. Here's a FSS (full sump shot):

061011a.jpg

Drain/filter sock, skimmer, heater, temperature probe, and pH probe (right section):

061011b.jpg

Return pump and CO2 diffuser (left section):

061011c.jpg

If I were to revise this sump, I'd ditch the baffle on the left and move the right baffle over to where the left one sits (to make the right section larger). As you can see, there is no need for a bubble trap with the low flow rate (the return pump is running in this picture). The sand is from siphoning flatworms off of the sand bed.

lawnmowerblenny

Such an awesome setup!!!

Thanks for the FTS!

Your dsb is awesome I bet there are lots of critters in there its almost like an ant farm.

What setting are you using on the mp10 purple/ntm?

Such an awesome setup!!! ...What setting are you using on the mp10 purple/ntm?
Thanks! The MP10 is currently set to the long pulse mode (pink). I'm really not making full use of it as I have it near its lowest setting (since the water level is very shallow and holds well less than 10 gallons of water above the sand bed).

I do like how little space it takes and I do crank it up from time to time to help suspend/remove detritus. Now that the tank is more mature, the sand bed doesn't blow around like it did when it was new. Maybe it's time to play around with some other modes and higher settings.

lawnmowerblenny
Thanks! The MP10 is currently set to the long pulse mode (pink). I'm really not making full use of it as I have it near its lowest setting (since the water level is very shallow and holds well less than 10 gallons of water above the sand bed).

I do like how little space it takes and I do crank it up from time to time to help suspend/remove detritus. Now that the tank is more mature, the sand bed doesn't blow around like it did when it was new. Maybe it's time to play around with some other modes and higher settings.

+1 good point! I have the mp10 on my 20L on the lowest setting for reefcrest/yellow just because where I have it currenttly positioned is stressing my 2 candy cane colonies may have to move it elsewhere these little pumps are just so powerful!

I got the red one from Reeftopia a little more than 5 years ago. The one in the right hand corner (that you can't really see), I got from Diver's Den. I got at least one, if not both, of the green ones from Reef Goddess (Reef Gardener). I have another green rock flower in my other tank; I got one of the green ones from another vendor (just can't remember who from right now)

Deleted User 6

thanks. they're hard to come by from online vendors this year. i emailed with kara from sealifeinc last year and she said the population took a hit in the wild for some reason. they've been scarce ever since.

Interesting, come to think about it, I haven't really seen that many lately. I believe that I had all of these before I started this tank.

Hey Dhaut, if you are looking for really nice rock flower nems, you should look here:

http://coralmorphologic.com/xcart/home.php?cat=24

They have some seriously nice ones, at decent prices, with decent shipping. I've bought from CoralMorph on several occasions and they are A+ shippers and their livestock is all high quality. I plan on buying a nem from them.

Deleted User 6

oh wow - didn't know colin was carrying those now. thanks man!

so they're happy on the rock like that? i had a brown one once that buried into the sand.

so they're happy on the rock like that? i had a brown one once that buried into the sand.
IME, they can bury their foot in the sand (usually next to something like a rock or PVC elbow); however, they are just as likely to stay on a nice indent in a rock. They don't normally move around a whole lot. They roam the most if they are not attached to anything and are put in a spot that they don't feel protected.

Archived