Cultivated Reef

Seabass's 17.4 Gallon (taken down)

seabass

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wont even waste my time seabass has a real nice thread it's a real shame you are trashing it up.

The only person in here that decided to post his personal problems and issues with other members on this forum and trash seabass' thread, was you.

lawnmowerblenny

Im the one who gave him advice about the sandbed, you keep following me around on threads how did I trash anyones thread? give up on it, if you have something you need to say shoot me a PM this is lame. I Have nothing else I want to say on seabass's thread to you zero... On to the next or just leave it alone...

What, last week's pics didn't do it for you? :happy: Oh well, here you go...

I did a water change today by collecting 5 gallons of (very wet) skimmate.

070811a.jpg

There are lots of worm tunnels and roots; but also, notice the patch of anaerobic bacteria in the middle of the sand bed. Should I be concerned about the bed, or should I expect this?

070811b.jpg

Oar grass:

070811c.jpg

Full tank shot:

070811d.jpg

Oh yeah, I bleached the rock on the right side because it started growing a bit of hair algae on it.

What is all the copper for? plumbed into your house?

The seagrass is getting longer/thicker Love the progress on this tank!

how's the little guy doing?

sorry about all that ^ stuff with zero... =/ I wasn't trying to trash your awesome thread! Unfortunately others don't have the same respect.

Im the one who gave him advice about the sandbed, you keep following me around on threads how did I trash anyones thread? give up on it, if you have something you need to say shoot me a PM this is lame. I Have nothing else I want to say on seabass's thread to you zero... On to the next or just leave it alone...

Don't flatter yourself. I don't follow you anywhere. I've been talking to seabass in this thread way before you even first posted. You said something incorrect, so I told him he shouldn't do it.

lawnmowerblenny

Seabass bro go check out this video(3:45 is where he starts poking around)... this is what I was talking about. Hopefully this helps. Maybe something along those lines maybe not something as thick but it's worth a try imo.

Zero you should check it out also... Don't correct people unless you know what you are talking about.

I've been watching this tank for a long while. You're doing a great job with it. As for the sand, I would leave it. This tank is one of the few with a real DSB. Sticking anything into it will get oxygen to places that you don't want it to be (ie the bottom of your sandbed, where anaerobic bacteria live). The only time I bother my DSB is when I siphon out sand, taking whatever gases that were trapped with it, but I always replace the top layer so that the anaerobic areas never get touched.

Zer0 and Lawnmowerblenny. Take it off the thread. Send each other pms and don't bother replying to each other on this thread. The world doesn't need to see your grief with each other.

If you understood what the guy on the video was talking about, he said from day one he disturbed the front part of his sandbed, which means that part of the sandbed never had time to accumulate anaerobic bacteria. The other undisturbed parts of his sandbed, were very black and specifically stated he would never disturb those parts.

TheWAND pretty much just explained it as well. Maybe you should try taking your own advice lawnmowerblenny.

You know, the information that everyone shared about sand beds was decent. I'm going to look into it a little more before I do anything. I assume that denitrifying bacteria (which are anaerobic) has been present for quite some time now. My concern about the dark patches is that they are dead zones.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it's desirable or even possible to avoid these 'dead' zones. The problem with many deep sand beds is the quantity of organics they have to process. I was feeding fairly heavy awhile ago. Maybe this is the cause. :unsure:

I don't mind the colors, I just don't want problems down the road. My instinct tells me to leave it alone and concentrate on lowering the level of organics. Like I said, I gotta do more research on the subject. BTW, thanks for the link lawnmowerblenny.

No they did not, from now on, you shall post daily pics!!! Nice pics for today but what bout tomorrow lol
I think I have other plans. ;)

...just helps release the bubbles and allows air to reach the dead spots...
Seems to make some sense. The 'dead' zones are not oxygenated, but might not be able to process the organics/nutrients in the bed. I certainly don't want to oxygenate too much/too deep. Besides the exposed glass, who really knows what the middle of the bed looks like. While I'm not totally discounting this suggestion, I will look into it a little more before disturbing anything.

Amphiprion1 speculated that one of his seagrass beds became too densely packed (mostly from roots). He suggested cutting the roots. My bed is certainly full of roots (some of them are even decaying). There have been some notable changes in the grass over the last few weeks (thinning areas, while other areas seem to be doing very well). I wonder how this affects how the bed performs.

nice tank. i always like to see ones that are different from the typical reef tank.
+1 this tank is truly unique I have not seen another tank like it on here or anywhere else... and Im all about the greenleaf tank looks so clean!
Thanks jedidad and lawnmowerblenny. After doing a few 'typical' reefs, this has been an interesting change. Lots of new stuff to learn about too (like deep sand beds).

............................ :mellow:

Awesome new shots!

:D

What is all the copper for? plumbed into your house?

The seagrass is getting longer/thicker Love the progress on this tank!

how's the little guy doing?

sorry about all that ^ stuff with zero...

I just thought that a copper stand would be very unique. :) I'm pretty happy with the result.

Yeah, it's coming along pretty well. The tank now seems to be both benefiting and suffering from it's age. It's getting interesting. I really hope that I can maintain the seagrass bed for a long period of time.

My fish is doing great in its home. I think it enjoys swimming through the long shoal grass.

Don't worry about. I'm not upset at either of you. I don't think that your suggestion was bad; plus, I think that Zer0's concern was sincere. My decision to have a DSB was, in part, to learn more about them.

I've been watching this tank for a long while. You're doing a great job with it. As for the sand, I would leave it. This tank is one of the few with a real DSB. Sticking anything into it will get oxygen to places that you don't want it to be (ie the bottom of your sandbed, where anaerobic bacteria live). The only time I bother my DSB is when I siphon out sand, taking whatever gases that were trapped with it, but I always replace the top layer so that the anaerobic areas never get touched.
Thank you! Sounds like a plan for now. B)

your nem is eating your plants
:lol: It's trying, but it will spit it out. They aren't interested in plant material, but they will sometimes respond to loose leaves (just in case it might be something meaty). Thanks for following along!

Oh that's pretty smart... changing out wet skimmate.

Guys, don't gunk up this awesome thread with your drama. Quit it or ban.

Deleted User 6

get 'em robot.

also, with a bed that deep, you're going to have anaerobic zones. that's the whole point of a DSB imo. just don't disturb them and you're cool.

that's when black spots appear in the sand, right? i had a fw tank were that happened and it smelled really bad.

seabass, does your tank smell like algea water? mines does...

It wasn't really drama. lawnmowerblenny just got his panties in a wad when I told him he was wrong, and thus he was. You aren't supposed to disturb DSB's once they are setup. That's how they are properly maintained.

It wasn't really drama. lawnmowerblenny just got his panties in a wad when I told him he was wrong, and thus he was. You aren't supposed to disturb DSB's once they are setup. That's how they are properly maintained.

Well unless you have been stirring the front sand by the glass for aesthetics from the beginning. Other than that, touching a DSB is a horrible move.

Well unless you have been stirring the front sand by the glass for aesthetics from the beginning. Other than that, touching a DSB is a horrible move.

Yeah, I mentioned that before my previous post. If you have been stirring the front(or any part) of the DSB from the very beginning, then it doesn't really matter. But seabass has a TRUE deep sandbed, which I'm pretty sure he hasn't been stirring up at all(correct me if I'm wrong seabass). So if he were to start poking at it and stirring it up, trying to release things from the bottom including those black spots, it would ultimately be a horrible move, like you just mentioned, and it would kill off de-nitrifying bacteria that he has worked so hard to obtain. The roots of the seagrass don't stir up anything, and they don't release anything in to the tank either, they just grow strait down.

I said it in post #685

Thanks Adin!

Hmm...never heard of that Newman.

Thanks DHaut. I assume that everything below the dark area contains denitrifying bacteria. However, I'm still curious about the dark areas. Do all healthy, mature, deep sand beds have zones of dark sand (presumably 'dead' zones)? I haven't had time to research this yet.

@ Squared, it has been thought that in addition to nitrogen, hydrogen sulfide is produced (which is toxic). The extent of this is disputed and I believe dependent on how well the bed is functioning. Conventional wisdom proposes not to disturb a mature bed. I haven't really noticed any unusual smells.

TheWAND, besides removing my barnacle home (much earlier on), I haven't disturbed anything (except the surface of the bed). I might try harvesting some of the grass; however, I won't be digging down very far to do this.

Yeah Zer0, The bed has been basically undisturbed. It would be interesting to know the pH of the bed at the lower depths. I haven't really tracked the depth of the bed, but I think the pH drops and slowly dissolves some of the bed (a natural calcium reactor).

That's very interesting seabass, considering, if the pH does lower the deeper the sandbed, then that means the life that grows in the deepest parts of the sand would have to adapt to the change in pH. Hmm.. I wonder how it would be possible to tell the pH without disturbing the sandbed... hmm..

I suppose I shouldn't necessarily characterize the dark areas as 'dead' zones. They could also be caused by anoxic bacteria converting manganese into manganese oxide (rust colored areas caused by iron that was converted into iron oxide, and so forth). I'm guessing that as a saltwater deep sand bed matures, these discolorations can occur in sand and saltwater that contain these metals. I still have much more to learn about these beds. I should probably read more posts by bitts. :happy:

psssst

update your first post with the recent FTS. its a bit difficult to find it a few pages back. :)

Archived