Coral Vue Hydros

Seabass's 17.4 Gallon (taken down)

seabass

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Yay, I think my flatworms are history! :)

Here are a few current shots:

100511a.jpg

100511b.jpg

100511c.jpg

100511d.jpg

I'm also experimenting with dosing this tank with 1ml of 3% solution of H2O2 per 10 gallons of water. This is a method that has been used to help control algae. I figured I'd see how the seagrass reacts.

be careful as peroxide does kill plants in FW planted tanks so I don't think seagrass will fare better...

i think youre better off getting some sort of snails to clean that.. or a fish.

Thanks Newman! I just wanted to experiment, but I think I'll discontinue dosing as I'm not really fighting an algae problem at this time. I was thinking that it might help keep the leaves clean (even though I rarely have to manually clean them).

Cone snails would be cool in this aquarium. Looks exactly like the habitat of many Caribbean species I've seen in the wild. And it's too bad the tank doesn't have more area because small conchs like alatus and raninus would be really unique too. They surprisingly have interesting personalities.

Awesome tank!

Thank you castiel! I started to feel that I was breeding a super strain of worms resistant to Flatworm eXit. :lol:

-----

Thanks DS! I might keep an eye out for a larger snail that would work well in this setup.

With the flatworms and the dewormers, the pod population has been decimated. I think I'll order some pods to seed a new population before I introduce any predators.

Looking good. I'm glad the flatworm problem is finally solved. Do you have any plans for fish at the moment?
Thanks! Yeah, I haven't thought much about fish or other inverts that much. Maybe a tank bred Dottyback, or just a Blood Red Fire Shrimp. :unsure:

-----

Great shots!

Thank you Giga! :)

-----

Awesome tank and great shots man. Your set up is so simple but super wicked! RFA rock
I appreciate that! -_-

do you think your sea grass is ever going to take off more than it is now?

what about maybe adding some different kinds/some macros to thicken it up a bit

looks great though :happy:

Thanks mmcguffi!

I thought about adding some Dragon's Breath, but I have no plans for adding macros at the moment. The grass used to be a little thicker. I'm not 100% sure why it has thinned. It could be that the substrate is too compacted from all the roots, or maybe because I am feeding this tank almost nothing, or lack of iron or some other mineral (or nutrient), or even something else. :unsure:

I'm basically just monitoring it right now due to the recent H2O2 treatments. For as little as is going on with this tank right now (and no fish), I'm surprisingly satisfied with it.

SEABASS!!! I wasn't sure what I was going to see when I looked up this thread again. I'm happy it looks pretty much the same as it did when you set it up. I like the clean minimalist approach combined with the grasses. Hopefully you've eradicated the flatworms too.

My tank is still doing pretty well, though I'm having trouble dedicating much time to it because of some major house projects, so It's sitting in a state of "homeostasis" so to speak. I'll upload some pics tomorrow.

Thanks TC!

-----

Yep...same ol' same ol'. Minus the flatworms. ;)

I'm looking forward to your pics. Glad you checked in ajmckay!

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to remove the rock that I siliconed to the back of the tank. It made it hard to clean around and I didn't think it added that much to the look of the tank. I also added a Fire Shrimp to the tank.

110111b.jpg

110111a.jpg

I temporarily moved the main rock (with anemones) to another tank. I'll return it soon.

I removed a few seagrass plants with a hook. Shoal Grass:

110111c.jpg

Oar Grass:

110111d.jpg

110111e.jpg

Thanks Squared! Yep, the Levamisole did the trick (no more flatworms). However, between the H2O2 and the Levamisole, I lost a great deal of the fauna in the tank. I'll have to re-seed some new life into this tank.

great looking shrimp, how big is he? 2"?

He must feel a bit anxious without some rock to hide behind though...

At first i though that your tank should have really dense and lush seagrass growth in order to look perfect and natural, but now I just realized that I seemed to have a misunderstanding about what natural seagrass beds actually look like. they look like your tank; the really dense, and packed seagrass beds are the result of too much fertilizer runoff from rivers :(

Glad your tank does indeed look natural :D

Thanks Squared! Yep, the Levamisole did the trick (no more flatworms). However, between the H2O2 and the Levamisole, I lost a great deal of the fauna in the tank. I'll have to re-seed some new life into this tank.

aww pooey :(

i think i can live with my flatworms then... but at least it's all over now :)

Hi Newman! :)

Thanks, yeah the shrimp is around 2 or 3 inches long. The rock is going back (but it doesn't have a nice cave, so I'm considering using a different rock). I probably should put some PVC in there until I decide. I took out the rock to manually clean some hair algae off of it.

I'm alright with how dense the grass is, but it has lost some color lately. I'm also seeing more black areas in the sand bed. :unsure: I'm not that concerned, but I'm thinking about trying some iron to help the grass color up again.

be careful with dosing stuff. in FW mad algae blooms are caused by an overdose of any macro or micro nutrient including iron. SW shouldn't be much different. Just dose a little :P

Archived