ReefCleaners.org

Seabass's 17.4 Gallon (taken down)

seabass

Love this tank. Seabass you are about 17.4 gallons of hero. Probably more.
:lol: Thanks much!

Awesome! Any new plans for livestock?
Hey there AM; thanks. Thinking about a Goby (or Gobies), possibly a shrimp.
  • Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are my specialty ;)
I know. :)

Was thinking about something small like Masked Gobies (Coryphopterus personatus). In the past, I've enjoyed keeping Clown Gobies (Gobiodon okinawae), Neon Gobies (Elacatinus oceanops), and Red Head Gobies (Elacatinus puncticulatus); I wouldn't mind keeping any of these again. Also thought about Greenbanded Gobies (Elacatinus multifasciatum).

I know I still have the whole jumping issue. Any one less likely to jump than another?

I hear YCG's are less likely to jump. Not sure about the others though.
Thanks, although I've had one jump on me, I've kept others for years without a top with no problem. That might be the way to go.

AnimalMaster, any thoughts on this? I don't remember the Red Heads being jumpers (but I think they were in a covered tank). :unsure: Come to think of it, I believe the Neons where in a covered tank as well.

What kind of flow does your orange fungia get? I have one as well and the polyps are never fully extended like that. I love this tank btw. I have been following silently for a while and I absolutely love the dsb sea grass idea.

I have tried seagrass before and tragically failed. This is awesome and glad to see the spreading and growth.
Thanks, my first attempt was also unsuccessful.

Maverick:
This could be complicated. You know on the first one I crashed and burned.

Charlie:
And the second?

Maverick:
I don't know, but uh, it's looking good so far.

- Top Gun (1986)

What kind of flow does your orange fungia get? I have one as well and the polyps are never fully extended like that.
TY! The plate coral is getting indirect flow. I guess I'd call it low to moderate; however, it's still strong enough to make it difficult to feed it with the pumps running (but I still often do). Just about everyday, I take an eyedropper right above it and gently shoot some fish food at it (some tends to blow away when the pumps are on).

Thank you spanko!

Sea grass seems to be growing well. At this rate you are gonna need a lawnmower!!!
I'm not going to be happy until it looks like Jellyfish Fields.

1_-_Tips_for_Jellyfish_Fields.png

animalmaster6
I know. :)

Was thinking about something small like Masked Gobies (Coryphopterus personatus). In the past, I've enjoyed keeping Clown Gobies (Gobiodon okinawae), Neon Gobies (Elacatinus oceanops), and Red Head Gobies (Elacatinus puncticulatus); I wouldn't mind keeping any of these again. Also thought about Greenbanded Gobies (Elacatinus multifasciatum).

I know I still have the whole jumping issue. Any one less likely to jump than another?

Cleaner/Neon gobies are not huge jumpers in the goby family. Like I will always say, they will jump but are not as pron to jumping.

Masked Gobies are cool. Not sure about their jumping but I believe Coryphopterus will jump.

AnimalMaster, any thoughts on this? I don't remember the Red Heads being jumpers (but I think they were in a covered tank). :unsure: Come to think of it, I believe the Neons where in a covered tank as well.

All gobies are heavy jumpers unfortunetly. Shrimp gobies are not the biggest jumpers of the goby family. I've seen them kept in open tops but I would not recommend it.

I'm not going to be happy until it looks like Jellyfish Fields.

:lol:

Thanks AM!

I've been noticing a slow leak from my overflow bulkhead over the last week (not enough to leave a puddle, but enough to leave some salt creep under the bulkhead). So I decided to fix it today:

032711b.jpg

Full tank shots (lights on/off) after the repair:

032711a.gif

Damn it you !@$%$#%^&*& again with the hole picture that changes into another picture thing. wasn't it enough to make us think we where loosing it last time. seriously once is funny more just mean.

Glad to see it was an easy fix for you, on the leaky drain.

The tank is looking really nice.
Thanks. It's a little bare, I think I need to move over another anemone. At least it looks like the sand bed will be full soon.

Soo clean!
:)

...seriously once is funny more just mean. Glad to see it was an easy fix for you, on the leaky drain.
:lol: I partially took the lights off picture so you could see the sand bed better. The bulkhead is just hard to tighten (with the nut inside the overflow and no room to hold it tightly); I think I got it a little tighter this time.

looks like the beds layering nicely. Is the zone where its shifting to yellow/rust/brown about 2/3 down. Looks like it that & you've got bubbles about 2 inches down. :)

The bulkhead is just hard to tighten (with the nut inside the overflow and no room to hold it tightly); I think I got it a little tighter this time.

I started lubricating the face of the nut and both sides of the washer with silicone grease, the stuff I use on my dive mask, before assembling them to the tank. It makes a big difference in snugging things up tight, a little bit at a time.

:) Thanks bitts!

I started lubricating the face of the nut and both sides of the washer with silicone grease, the stuff I use on my dive mask, before assembling them to the tank.
B) Thanks. I was thinking the same thing, so I wiped some of this on the washers and connecting surfaces. I hope it lasts longer than last time, but it really wasn't that hard to drain and tighten again. We'll see.

Lifegard-Aquatics-R172036-Silicone-Lubricant-O.75oz-99.jpg

Looks great seabass. I've been following along since you started. Its really come along. I can't wait for the grass to grow in. That fungia is siiiiickkk. Keep it up.

~Drew

Looks great seabass. I've been following along since you started. Its really come along. I can't wait for the grass to grow in. That fungia is siiiiickkk. Keep it up.
Thank you, and thanks for following along!

dont know if I mentioned this already (I think i have) but wicked tank bud. Though that deep sand is wasted without one of these pups...
Thanks .Newman. :) I'll think about the anemone. I hear they sting pretty hard.

I agree.
Thanks for stopping by PC!

The grass is spreading (growing tip running up the side of the glass):

040111a.jpg

To me, it looks like the grass might be lacking nutrients (slightly reddish color on the new leaves might indicate low chlorophyll production due to lack of nitrogen). I think I might have to start dosing nitrate.

Archived