Innovative Marine Aquariums

Red hornets and why they're not rare part 2

organism

If they came from Milpitas, chances are they are from the originator at some point. If not? It would be easy to spot a fake in the Bay. It's hilarious that all these kids so far away are the experts when most of us can go look at several DA/RH as we speak and know this thread is trash.

*yawns, then laughs*

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People that are connoisseurs of Rare and Exotic corals pay lots of money for them, so the amount of money to set up a legitimate registration service is minuscule in comparison to the investment.

I think it's a great idea in theory, but it's too easily exploited. Even really rare corals come in waves, so if 4 new watermelon morphs hit at once what then? If only the seller can update lineage on there then what happens if they are scammers? Or like war corals, now they're coming in from aussie all the time but they used to be rare, and all of a sudden lineage is worthless since they're everywhere.

Most "rare" corals, and especially zoanthids, are shameless scams. um, japanese deepwater ring a bell? The only hostile people in this thread directly make money from the coral in question and stand to lose money if it's proven not rare. If it is rare, they lose nothing, and knowing its rarity they know the thread would fail there would be no hostility. Hostility = fear of wallet lightening. If rare corals are rare then common corals don't color up like them, that's that.

You don't see mercedes dealers flipping out if someone tries to turn a volvo into a mercedes do you, they ignore it and move on knowing that it's never going to work.

I swear i seen these at my LFS... lookin all do do brown.. gonna go buy some just for the halibut.

Gonna put em under a 70w 14k ushio

If they came from Milpitas, chances are they are from the originator at some point. If not? It would be easy to spot a fake in the Bay. It's hilarious that all these kids so far away are the experts when most of us can go look at several DA/RH as we speak and know this thread is trash.

*yawns, then laughs*

This is definitely Kraylen.

good points jjjo & org.

LOL Travis needs to get a life. getting worked up over named corals.

You get worked up over hand soap.

bluenassarius

travis, you never told me how much does reef2reef pay you to make promo hd videos for them. how much do they pay?

I find it rather amusing you need to make a new screen name to come on this forum to discredit organism . oh and please do tell me how you get banned on a kick ass forum like nano reef. thanks lmao

You don't see mercedes dealers flipping out if someone tries to turn a volvo into a mercedes do you, they ignore it and move on knowing that it's never going to work.

No, because you can't turn a Volvo into a Mercedes. They both have unique VIN numbers that are registered, and they both have proof of an origin, (or lineage if you may) Germany or Sweden.

Maybe that's why people are so hard on collectors that buy "rare" corals. Lack of Proof. Just like the title of this thread says.

I'm new to this hobby compared to most. I understand that Acans, Ricordea, and Mushrooms went through this craze too.

xiongaquatics

thank you organism for posting this.

there is a whole bunch of these zoa at the wholesaler that no one even care to get. i will be sure to get some and try them out.

i'm following along and cant wait to see the end of this thread.

This is a topic worthy of investigation. I wish more people would catalogue before and after shots of wild zoanthid/palythoa colonies placed under halide,t5,and/or led lighting. For instance, I bought a colony of ugly grayish-purple palys that morphed into pink zippers. No kidding! I have also had green palys that turned into rainbows under halides. In fact, collectors of zoanthids have been doing this for awhile now. Buy a browned out wild colony, throw it under some decent lighting, and see what happens. Sometimes they morph into a cool morph that other hobbyist want to trade you for, other times they look the same or worse. It's a gamble some collectors are willing to take.

All i can say is that I bought a colony for $5 that was brown and yellowish. Something i would never buy nowadays (i bought it when first got my tank) after fragging it up and giving away frags about a year later..i have 6 polyps of bright blue/purple/gold zoas that ive never seen. They arent on ZOAID but im thinking off submitting them.

Papers mean nothing. I can type up something right now stating that my 6 polyps of "bombshells" are LE and im the originator.

People get scammed, then they get pissed. Just look at this thread.

edit: cant wait to get like 50+ red hornets for less than the price of 1 polyp.

This is a great thread if you overlook the conspiracy theories and zoa-naming haters. I don't buy into the conspiracy that r2r folks are somehow manipulating polyps through lighting and photoshop and selling them at a 1000% profit. Maybe someone accidently discovered these after a colony of lava rings colored up under intense light. Or maybe they colored up at the wholesaler and no one realized what had happened. It doesn't necessarily mean that the red hornet discovery was orchestrated in some way. I've talked at length with some of the top propogators and they are not all out to rip off noobs. Many of them take the time to color up and aquaculture wild polyps to make them viable for the market. I had two red hornets that died two weeks ago in an unfortunate accident. I can tell you that the red hornet is as breathtaking to behold as any polyp I've seen, and if anything the pictures, photoshopped or not, do it no justice. I also did not beleive that they were real until I saw one in living color. I would love for organism's experiment to succeed, then everyone could enjoy large colonies of this beautiful polyp.

This is a great thread if you overlook the conspiracy theories and zoa-naming haters. I don't buy into the conspiracy that r2r folks are somehow manipulating polyps through lighting and photoshop and selling them at a 1000% profit

It doesn't necessarily mean that the red hornet discovery was orchestrated in some way. I've talked at length with some of the top propogators and they are not all out to rip off noobs.

We're not talking about general zoanthids coloring up by hobbyists though, this is about zoanthids that aren't rare at all being colored up and sold at a huge profit through lighting and photoshop because without photoshop and lighting they look like nice but regular zoanthids, as shown by the pics of the true ones hobbyists posted in here. I have yet to see one single vendor pic of these that isn't 90% influenced by lighting or photoshop, and that is downright shady right there when the profit's more like 10,000%. It's a fact, not a conspiracy theory. Kind of like how gravity isn't a conspiracy theory.

I'm not a zoa naming hater by the way, there's tons of zoanthids out there that originated from me. When lookalikes came out I was the first to say hey, it's the ocean, let's get more into the hobby so everyone can get them cheaper and enjoy them in their tanks. I didn't stoop to flame threads that might cost me money, because greed wasn't a factor for me and I wasn't out to rip off noobs :)

That said these are coloring up and looking like some really nice (but not rare) zoanthids :happy:

there is a whole bunch of these zoa at the wholesaler that no one even care to get. i will be sure to get some and try them out.

I was hoping that someone else who goes to wholesalers would chime in :)

xiongaquatics
is there a specific name for these at the wholesaler? Id like my guy to grab me some.

:(

zooanthid on rock

i think brown colony of these run about $5-$10. usually they put all the brown coral in a different section that are mark down to $5-$10.

cant wait to free up some time and head down to LA to look for some RH. lol. i been wanting to try these ever since last week when i saw this thread.

I think anyone that uses the term "Hater", should be punched in the crotch.

If you really have DoubleD's, then you can punch all you want.

Back to the topic at hand...

I agree that some vendors are hyping zoas for an obscene profit. Just look at the LE Flamethrower. Basically just a bam bam. Most people can see through that nonsense. Red hornets don't fit into this category because there is a limited supply of red ring polyps with alternating solid red skirts. I hope you're theory proves correct because that will drastically change the supply/demand. Then collectors will be onto the next polyp of the moment.

Archived