Top Shelf Aquatics

Red hornets and why they're not rare part 2

organism

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you all think?

DSCN3244.jpg

That's the green skirt morph, also cool and about as common as red hornets. I don't know why those didn't get more press with the hornets crowd, I've seen them fully colored up and the green skirt with red centers looks a lot more unique than red and red.

Now the ones kylegeorge posted, those are red hornets.

There are some "real" ones in the classifieds for $130 pp, in case you need a reference point no the "realness" :mellow:

I think you're referring to the purple hornets in the classifieds, I'll be taking those on in the next installment of "purple hornets and why you're getting jacked". Got some of those coloring up but with the cult around those that thread isn't going up until all the pictures are done, that way there's only facts vs people that refuse to look at pictures.

Oops, looks like I'd missed that one. Well, like was said earlier, for people that like lineage it's worth it to them, and those that don't care can get them cheaper. I'm just here to point out that they're like $3 a polyp from your lfs :)

AdrianBryce
Oops, looks like I'd missed that one. Well, like was said earlier, for people that like lineage it's worth it to them, and those that don't care can get them cheaper. I'm just here to point out that they're like $3 a polyp from your lfs :)

Maybe for you folks on the edge of the world, but out here they don't exist. :angry:

It's pay outrageous prices or don't have them.

Maybe for you folks on the edge of the world, but out here they don't exist. :angry:

It's pay outrageous prices or don't have them.

Or just buy non-lineaged ones from the people that are going to start finding these and coloring them up, plus I just sent a few 90 or so polyp colonies to a greenhouse that supplies a lot of midwest and east coast retailers, these things will be everywhere soon enough...

xiongaquatics
Or just buy non-lineaged ones from the people that are going to start finding these and coloring them up, plus I just sent a few 90 or so polyp colonies to a greenhouse that supplies a lot of midwest and east coast retailers, these things will be everywhere soon enough...

hope you save me a frag or two this weekend when i'm there.

GrandpaFeathers

So what are they? Maybe they'll color up better with new bulbs. This shot is under 2 10k bulbs and 2 actinic

will try soon. super busy this week. Funny if these are the real thing because he had a 10 polyp frag on ebay for $9.99 and it didn't sell.

Those have a much better chance of looking like them, than the ones organism posted. Hopefully they color up soon.

Those have a much better chance of looking like them, than the ones organism posted. Hopefully they color up soon.

ahhh what....

:o

After seeing what organism is doing with a RH i decided to do it with a simple fire and ice zoa to see the change in color. the result is apparent and the is absolutly no Photoshop or high saturation in these photos what you see in the pic is what it looks like in the tank.

Colony grown under T5HO in 10g

coral001.jpg

Frag of colony under Leds in pico frag tank

ALLPICTURES1264.jpg

Same Frag after about 3 weeks growing under Leds; frag is put back into 10g under T5HO

coral002.jpg

coral003.jpg

Most people know that zoas expel zoanthellae, adopt brighter/lighter color, and shrink under intense light. What organism is trying to prove is that brown zoas, in this case lava rings, can morph into red hornets.

After seeing what organism is doing with a RH i decided to do it with a simple fire and ice zoa to see the change in color. the result is apparent and the is absolutly no Photoshop or high saturation in these photos what you see in the pic is what it looks like in the tank.

Colony grown under T5HO in 10g

coral001.jpg

Frag of colony under Leds in pico frag tank

ALLPICTURES1264.jpg

Same Frag after about 3 weeks growing under Leds; frag is put back into 10g under T5HO

coral002.jpg

coral003.jpg

Sorry, I'm confused.

Sorry, I'm confused.

I have a bunch of frags that are growing in a frag tank under LEDS.

The mother colony is in my main tank under T5HO.

I took a frag anf put it in with the mother colony to show a difference in color from a different type of lighting.

Most people know that zoas expel zoanthellae, adopt brighter/lighter color, and shrink under intense light. What organism is trying to prove is that brown zoas, in this case lava rings, can morph into red hornets.

I know im not going from brown to colorful; but im going from colorful to intense color becuse it was under high LED light.

isnt a zoa adopting brighter color when its going from brown to a RH?

Just purchased a huge colony of brown zoas from where organism works, lets see what happens.. here's a picture i quickly took, sorry about the blurriness..

These will be under 500 watts of Halide, and 93 watts of PC, I'll update progress weekly.

1022562.jpg

Archived