Cultivated Reef

Red hornets and why they're not rare part 2

organism

id bid on thay ebay colony if the shipping wasnt friggen $40 and not even for anything nice.

when you selling those yellow zoas in your avatar xiong?

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Organism, buddy ol' pal. How high up do you have these in order to get them too color up? I have a NEP T5HO fixture on a 24g aquapod. How many inches are your hornets from the light? Thanks

So its only been a few weeks, but heres a close up of what i got. If the color up keeps going at this rate, I'd say "a couple months" is spot on

IMG_1478.jpg

Organism, buddy ol' pal. How high up do you have these in order to get them too color up? I have a NEP T5HO fixture on a 24g aquapod. How many inches are your hornets from the light? Thanks

Actually they like lower bluer light, so at the bottom should be good. Don't know what kind of fixture that is but it's really going to depend on your bulb combo as to how they'll color up.

here is a picture of the frag i pick up last week from where org work. i think the one i got has a green skirt.

Yup, looks like you got the green skirt morph, I like those better actually... The other colonies had red skirts though, but got fragged out and are coloring up along with 90-100+ other red hornet frags at this point :)

So its only been a few weeks, but heres a close up of what i got. If the color up keeps going at this rate, I'd say "a couple months" is spot on

IMG_1478.jpg

Looks like those skirts are starting to alternate too, very nice, what kind of lights do you have them under?

Wheeee! Please keep this going Organism. I *REALLY* need something to giggle about right now. And this is bringing it!

I know, this has gotten so awesome. I made this thread to keep myself entertained at work and wow, it's exceeded my expectations at this point even on just the social experiment side of things.

I've got your mag 5 cleaned up and good to go, sorry again that it took me so long :)

just the stock bulbs so far. daylight-actinic-daylight-actinic-daylight-actinic

Im planning on getting the UVL bulbs though

just the stock bulbs so far. daylight-actinic-daylight-actinic-daylight-actinic

Im planning on getting the UVL bulbs though

I'm not a big fan of the 18w bulbs, but for good colors you can try all actinics except for one daylight in the middle. It sounds blue until you try it, then you get neon coral colors and great growth, but then again I've only used ATI bulbs that don't come in that size :)

Wow, 5 pages since the last update on pics. Since it's been a while here's a pic of what they were like about a week and a half ago back on page 11.

post-14867-1273611246_thumb.jpg

And here they are today :)

post-14867-1273611275_thumb.jpg

They're still under a 1000w 20k halide, the ones that are under t5's now (the frag in the top pic) are in a different system where the water is gross, so they've actually darkened up instead of colored up, so I didn't post up a pic of those since the color hasn't changed much from last time.

I need to get these into a stable, clean water system with good lights with someone I know and trust or that can be vouched for by someone I know and trust, and that has a good (and I mean SLR with macro lens at minimum) camera to post update pics. Now taking applications...

the UVL bulbs that are coming out at the end of the month are 30w bulbs. When i replace all of them the fixture will be 180w. Someone told me to get four 454's a daylight, and the purple-ish color bulb

Just ordered a few from zepo, cant wait to see how they turn out. Theyre going under my 7x54 aquactinics constellation, 5 blue plus, 1 fiji, and 1 aquablue special. Exciting!

Just ordered a few from zepo, cant wait to see how they turn out. Theyre going under my 7x54 aquactinics constellation, 5 blue plus, 1 fiji, and 1 aquablue special. Exciting!

I think it is semi-funny how Zepo is now selling frags that people "hope" will turn pretty. There is no guarantee there, although this thread certainly makes for hope.

I think it is semi-funny how Zepo is now selling frags that people "hope" will turn pretty. There is no guarantee there, although this thread certainly makes for hope.

the selling of hope... thats pretty much what religion is.

Zepo sent me a few as well. They are on their way right now. I will have them under LED's so I'll keep you posted on their growth under LED's.

If Zepo's have red skirts then they should morph into these, but they probably should've been sat on under actinics until they at least had faint red skirts to avoid any confusion with the red hornets in this thread...

Zepo sent me a few as well. They are on their way right now. I will have them under LED's so I'll keep you posted on their growth under LED's.

Have you got a good camera? :)

If anyone wants to name some overpriced zoanthids (not, and I repeat this time not, palys), then feel free and post them so I can do those next.

I've always liked "rastas"

Archived