Cultivated Reef

Red hornets and why they're not rare part 2

organism

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see spending alot on a zoa that is actually rare. but if you looked in the classifieds i sure do see alot of PH,RH. etc in there. doesnt seem to rare to me..

I can see spending alot on a zoa that is actually rare. but if you looked in the classifieds i sure do see alot of PH,RH. etc in there. doesnt seem to rare to me..

Purple people eaters are by no means rare anymore, yet I still see people trying to charge $25/polyp.

either way, Ive seen people post Red Hornets for sale on other forums, this one included, and they already dropped the price to $60 a polyp. Yes its ridiculous, but Organism already broke the barrier and lowered the price of the Red Hornets JUST by making this thread. EVERYONE should thank him for that.

I should be getting my Hornets tomorrow

The funny thing is that these polyps should actually only be around $10-20 per polyp.

Soon they will be...

fishez4alivin

The funniest thing about this zoa is that the LFS owner got it with all those deepwater zoas that came in a year ago, slapped the name Devil's Aura aka Red Hornet, and sold them for 200 a polyp from a colony that cost him at the most 50 dollars for 100 polyps...lol All he did was take advantage of the Hornet Craze and jumped on the wagon, all the power to him for marketing them...He got this from an LA wholesaler who I'm sure had hundreds of polyps at the time.

It sure looks like you are getting your polyps to color up like a Red Hornet, and if it looks like one, all the power to you for showing people that these are not as rare as they think. I'm sure that many people with "Red Hornets" can't trace it back to that LFS in Milpitas, Ca that originally sold them. And if they can, they paid 200 dollars for a .50 cent a polyp zoa. And I'm sure around the same time last year, many LFS across the West Coast got rocks covered with them.

that is not a red hornet

technically it is. Give it 4 months to color up.

The top skirt will become solid red. The bottom skirt will get shaded, and stay brown/rust color.

I think the point is that everyone who is looking to buy named, lineaged corals will continue to pay outrageous prices for them while the rest of us continue to look for good deals.

I don't get upset at people charging outrageous amounts of money for corals, it's not their fault that people are willing to pay that price. Even with organism spreading these out like wildfire, it will take quite a while before they even leave the nano-reef community. I doubt these will effect the price at all to be honest (except on this site).

I have already seen Red Hornets being sold for $60 a polyp. That was about a week or two ago. Thats a lot less than $180

And? What zoanthid has ever stayed at the $200ish mark for long?

cough sopranos ....

seriously though. you are correct. think about it...

$180... or even 60 for something the size of a pencil eraser...

its just SAD

animalmaster6

I agree with this 100%.

I'll pay a lot on a nice zoa that is rare, but not hornets. Dizzle makes an awesome point, look how many threades in the classifieds are selling various hornets, tons!

And? What zoanthid has ever stayed at the $200ish mark for long?

and my point is, this thread alone has already made the market go down for the price of a red hornet. Yeah we can get them cheap here, but they are getting cheaper everywhere else except for vendors websites.

Soprano's arent for sale anymore because they dont exist. When they were around they were still about $200 a polyp. Im seeing Yellow Jackets get sold for over $100 a polyp.

corals are the biggest scam.

So true. theres thousands of miles of coral reef. and some of us are paying $100+ for a 1/4" piece of it.

xiongaquatics
So true. theres thousands of miles of coral reef. and some of us are paying $100+ for a 1/4" piece of it.

if only people stop paying that much for 1/4" piece than the coral price will come down. it's also much harder to sell a 1/4" piece of you price it at $10. but you would sell the same piece much faster if you sell it for $100.

c_k_kuehne

Comes down to people with more Money then Brains :wacko:

-------------------------------------------------------------

And after 7 years I am finally up to 1,000 posts B)

and my point is, this thread alone has already made the market go down for the price of a red hornet. Yeah we can get them cheap here, but they are getting cheaper everywhere else except for vendors websites.

Soprano's arent for sale anymore because they dont exist. When they were around they were still about $200 a polyp. Im seeing Yellow Jackets get sold for over $100 a polyp.

Sopranos still exist.I know for a fact they do.

Thats news to me. I just read on another thread that the original Soprano's melted away. Feel free to PM me if you dont wanna give out who has them or where they can be seen.

this thread was inspiring, read this thread the next day i went to work and looked through the brown zoas, found some strait browns with white centers put those under t5's, found some red ring zoas and put those under leds and some under 20,000k halide. day later the ones under t5s look like there getting a red ring and the ones that started with a red ring seem to be coloring up nicely but i have diffrent frags under all the light options so it should be good.

this thread was inspiring, read this thread the next day i went to work and looked through the brown zoas, found some strait browns with white centers put those under t5's, found some red ring zoas and put those under leds and some under 20,000k halide. day later the ones under t5s look like there getting a red ring and the ones that started with a red ring seem to be coloring up nicely but i have diffrent frags under all the light options so it should be good.

post some pics!

Archived