Pod Your Reef

Red hornets and why they're not rare part 2

organism

Just a preview of some frags coloring up under t5's in our prop system. I can't estimate what they'll be sold for at shops but it'll be well, well under $5 a polyp. My guess is $20ish for each entire frag. There's nearly 190 frags coloring up at this point and they'll be all over the country within the next few months :)

The skirts are juuuuuust starting to color up but they've got white mouths already, apparently t5's are much better at fully coloring these up than the 1000w 20k halide I've got the ones in this thread under since these were fully browned out three weeks ago.

post-14867-1276721883_thumb.jpg

post-14867-1276721893_thumb.jpg

:o

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a preview of some frags coloring up under t5's in our prop system. I can't estimate what they'll be sold for at shops but it'll be well, well under $5 a polyp. My guess is $20ish for each entire frag. There's nearly 190 frags coloring up at this point and they'll be all over the country within the next few months :)

ohh man i cant wait. put me on the list for a frag or 2 most definately

Out of the entire colony of 100+ i only have one that didnt melt away. and it's tiny but now it's colored up a ton.

ohh man i cant wait. put me on the list for a frag or 2 most definately

I don't retail corals, sorry...

EDIT - I'd removed this post but am putting it back, these polyps are from the original mother colony that crapped out in a friend's tank. Two polyps survived and they've been under homemade LED lighting that can be compared to 30k. So it turns out that stable conditions and massive LED lighting you can color these up very well.

Here's the pics, obviously red hornets, this thread is pretty much done. Full skirts, alternating, etc... The only people complaining from now on are the guys that are pissed off the polyps they're selling for $100 are common.

post-14867-1277402416_thumb.jpg

post-14867-1277402430_thumb.jpg

I've been following this thread for sometime now.. Excellent results and thanks for the theory and experiment. One question is do you incorporate the cost of the two remaining polyps after the loss of the whole colony. I'm sure it's still well under $100 pp, but should be taken into consideration. Because often times wild colonies will melt and only a few polyps remain. Also, taken into account the time, effort, and expense it takes to aquaculture them and making them available to the open market. Just a thought... Not trying to challenge anything.. Both arguments are viable in my opinion..

Well, in this case the colony died due to user error and he made no effort to save them since they were brown and gross. All the frags I've made from other colonies that are coloring up have lived, but someone else, zepo I think, had their colony melt away. I'd say that if they run in the line of $.25-.50 a polyp then after taking into account the time to color them up and any DOA's $5-10 a polyp with a 1-2000% profit margin on the original price is still fair and is worth the risk of coloring them up. imo anywhere in that price range per polyp would still be fair taking into account the time and effort put into coloring them up.

Either way like I said before, these frags are going out for free to people that are going to pass them on to others for free, etc... Probably make a DBTC thread on them once the frags I have are colored up :)

Well, in this case the colony died due to user error and he made no effort to save them since they were brown and gross. All the frags I've made from other colonies that are coloring up have lived, but someone else, zepo I think, had their colony melt away. I'd say that if they run in the line of $.25-.50 a polyp then after taking into account the time to color them up and any DOA's $5-10 a polyp with a 1-2000% profit margin on the original price is still fair and is worth the risk of coloring them up. imo anywhere in that price range per polyp would still be fair taking into account the time and effort put into coloring them up.

Either way like I said before, these frags are going out for free to people that are going to pass them on to others for free, etc... Probably make a DBTC thread on them once the frags I have are colored up :)

That's awesome man, good looking out for other reefers. When you get some available I'd like a frag to grow out. I'll give one out free to every reefer who does a trade with me and maybe we should charge $10 donation to go to N-R. Keep it in an account to purchase prizes for contests and such. Call it the Organism Scholarship fund..lol I'll donate a few of my Aztecs to do the same, once I get rid of the backlog..hint hint...lol

not bad getting some color on them, but i think they have a long way to go. i recently bleached my real RH due to an alk swing, but they are colored up again. the ring on yours is not as tight as a real RH, but the skirt is looking good. it looks like your pic were a little touched up cause the reds look a litle bright.

my lfs got about 200 polyp of the zoos you are all talking about and we are trying to color them up as well to see if they are turning. no luck so far. i hope you guys succeed, but i dont feel bad paying for the RH price at all.

here is my RH to use as a reference. pic was taken with a olympus 10megapix underwater shots. i only used the nderwater macro setting and i did not touch up the white or blues or anything. just point and shoot.

P4240104.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1643.jpg

Same thing happened to me, I FW dipped them and they all crapped out except two which are so small I question if they will survive.

i dont feel bad paying for the RH price at all.

As long as you enjoy it and dont mind the price then thats what reefing is all about. but some of us are poor..lol

not bad getting some color on them, but i think they have a long way to go. i recently bleached my real RH due to an alk swing, but they are colored up again. the ring on yours is not as tight as a real RH, but the skirt is looking good. it looks like your pic were a little touched up cause the reds look a litle bright.

Weird, unless this is the only page in this thread that you'd read I don't recall you saying that the rings weren't tight enough when I posted the pics on page 24, why do you think that is?

So the argument's gone from "the skirts aren't full and alternating" to "the ring that was ok before is too tight now and they look good so the pic must be fake even though the live rock doesn't look off". Wow...

As long as you enjoy it and dont mind the price then thats what reefing is all about. but some of us are poor..lol

+1, if you like lineage then by all means pick them up so you can be sure how they may look under the right lighting. If you don't care and want some that look 99% the same then take a shot at a browned out colony at your lfs and hope they get red skirts.

/thread

I'm inclined to agree at this point, this thread's kind of run its course...

I haven't been around for the last month or so and it was nice to come back to some new pics. This really has been a great thread and a good resource to point newbs from our local club to when they are asking whether or not "(insert some fancy name)" is the real deal or not.

Personally I have no interest in paying for a name, I just want something with a unique look compared to everything else in my tank or something thats just pretty. These fit into the pretty category even when they are just coloring up.

Thanks Organism for a great thread!

$5? for a single would u bother shipping for me? even thou u paid 50 cents and $2 in hydro along with shipping a bunch of other singles to make it worth MY while?

I do agree by the way about the price it should be dropped to $20 imo it has to be competitive with candy apple red and everlasting gobstopper etc inwhich imo give RH a run for its money easily

imo all 1000 plus of us should place a max and min on certain coral imo from non sponsors and sponsors should also take note imo

$5? for a single would u bother shipping for me? even thou u paid 50 cents and $2 in hydro along with shipping a bunch of other singles to make it worth MY while?

If polyps are $5 a pop chances are no one's making 1 polyp frags, that's more of an $80 a polyp thing. No one's going to ship a one polyp $5 frag because it's not worth the labor, that doesn't justify a $20 a polyp price though :)

They don't need to "stay competitive" with other polyp prices, they need to be sold for fair prices based on their abundance. How these are worth more than actually rare polyps like rastas and others is beyond me.

NaClCrocodile

Well Organism, I've got to hand it to you. I had MAJOR doubts and REALLY wanted this to prove that red hornets ARE rare, but I've got to hand it to you. These look so close to the "real" red hornets that I'd be proud to keep them in my tank. I just wish my NCRA "purple hornets" would color up like these lol. Maybe you could get some of those to color up :D.

This is me saying "I was wrong and Organism proved it."

Honestly if I hadn't seen colonies come in fully colored up I'd have been really skeptical too, I'm just glad there's a pretty convincing argument now that you can make your own red hornets at home on the cheap :)

btw my buddy took one of the frags that were under the 1000w 20k when he dropped off the other one a week and a half ago. He brought it back today so I can get started on putting a DBTC thread together on these, here's what they looked like after a week and a half under LED's in a stable clean system. LED's are like the performance enhancement supplements of the zoanthids world...

Skirts went from stripey to solid real quick :)

post-14867-1278449930_thumb.jpg

post-14867-1278449941_thumb.jpg

Just to put up some eye candy, these are about as common as red hornets and I think they're bad ass and really underrated. There's so many really cool common zoanthid morphs, I think people overlook how much great stuff is a bit browned out at their local LFS when they see expensive and "rare" colored up zoanthids online... The hobbyist vendors click to me is what's wrong with the hobby, there's small groups of them posing as regular hobbyists creating this "gotta have it" pokemon mentality that's just dumbing down the hobby.

Look at what the red hornets vendors click pulled in this thread and the locked first thread to keep them "rare" with lying, misinformation, bullying, threatening pm's, flaming, and even stooping to faking pictures. All under the guises of regular hobbyists with nothing to gain. Whole lot of wolves in sheep's clothing out there these days...

Just my 2 cents. Anyways, /thread as jerfrog said, red hornets DBTC thread coming soon :)

post-14867-1278450489_thumb.jpg

post-14867-1278450497_thumb.jpg

post-14867-1278450505_thumb.jpg

Archived