Innovative Marine Aquariums

Red hornets and why they're not rare part 2

organism

i would not try to make it look fake or with less color and would set next it my real one not saying yours is not real as i think it is but no worries i will find one some where and when i do i will post here as i think its the same as the ones going for 150

but i see where you are coming from org

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think it would be a big step for someone who has paid big bucks to say, yes these are the same. I see your point though.

• 2 weeks later...

New pics, they started coloring up again but it's just a matter of time until we get another huge toadstool and leathers shipment to brown them out again. I'd really like to get these into someone's stable system...

post-14867-1276628557_thumb.jpg

reeftankguy

Simply Beautiful!

Wonder how they would do under 20 CREE's...

New pics, they started coloring up again but it's just a matter of time until we get another huge toadstool and leathers shipment to brown them out again. I'd really like to get these into someone's stable system...

post-14867-1276628557_thumb.jpg

Simply Beautiful!

Wonder how they would do under 20 CREE's...

You and me both... If only someone had 20 CREE's and a stable system...

Nice $5 frag :)

$5? These are getting given out for free once this thread is done :happy:

this are coloring up quite beautifully. how are they growing for you, decent growth rate? i would love to see how these do under my par38's hint hint hahah.

cant wait for these to start getting spread around. well done org!

They're growing really slowly, fortunately they come in all the time so it's not like slow growth = rare :)

Nice to see that people are already using this thread as a way to sell colored up brown colonies for $15/polyp.

By the way, you are seriosly makin my want T5 in my BC29, so I ca buy ome crapfrom y LFS and see what happens.

moto i got about 400 in my tank, i just started them so it will be a few months until there fully colored but if you cant find any by than ill send you some. there not organism's but there red rings i imagine there the same.

Nice to see that people are already using this thread as a way to sell colored up brown colonies for $15/polyp.

By the way, you are seriosly makin my want T5 in my BC29, so I ca buy ome crapfrom y LFS and see what happens.

Yeah, that kind of went against the spirit of what I was trying to do here, but then again he linked to this thread that has all the info on them and people still said "I'll pay that", so they did have the option to be better informed before buying and still decided that they were worth that much to them. No one got conned that they weren't rare so no one got taken advantage of, that's a lot more important to me than however I feel about the price :)

Actually these are still under the 1000w 20k halide, people kept trying to steal them under the t5's so I had to move them back. They were definitely coloring up much better and faster under t5's, before the toadstools shipment they had the white mouths coming in.

moto i got about 400 in my tank, i just started them so it will be a few months until there fully colored but if you cant find any by than ill send you some. there not organism's but there red rings i imagine there the same.

If they've got red rings and red skirts then they're the same so no worries there. Did you get them from your lfs?

There's also a brown skirt morph and a green skirt morph, I like the green skirt morph the best...

I got about 5 polyps from Zeppo a month or so ago. 4 of them died and one survived, now this is 2 polyps. They are growing with some plain brown/gold zoas. They seem to look chocolate brown with a neon red ring and chocolate skirts. In the centers it looks like the brown is fading to a grayish/blue.

Im also only running 3 bulbs in my NEP becuase the stock bulbs are horrible looking. So im sure thats why they havent had a nice color boost yet.

Anyways, what do I have here, Org?

My lfs got similar brown zoas from a trade, so not sure where it came from, it's been in his tank for at least 4 months now under 20k radium metal halide. Placement is about 15 inches away from the direct light. He uses a dimmible ballast set at medium power of the 250 watts. No amino acid is being dosed. So my question is are you doing anything to help color up the zoas besides better lighting? Cause I've watch these zoas and even question the owner no change in color at all.

So my question is are you doing anything to help color up the zoas besides better lighting? Cause I've watch these zoas and even question the owner no change in color at all.

Nope, just better lighting. If the owner's giving them basically 125 watts that's probably not a good plan, metal halides aren't incandescents or LED's made to be dimmed...

That said there's three morphs and he might have the brown skirt ones, but there's no way to tell until he fixes his lighting.

Are the skirts solid red or specaled ?

When purple hornets first came in fom the wild... their skirts werent solid either FWIW

hey organisim do these guys need to ship overnight express? or can they go priority?

They're kind of finicky, I shipped a few frags to san diego to get colored up and they didn't make it so overnight for sure.

So you recommend full strength and the zoas will start changing colors?

They might color up more but might not, either way I'd recommend full strength since half strength on a metal halide ballast is probably 80%+ less light.

Just a preview of some frags coloring up under t5's in our prop system. I can't estimate what they'll be sold for at shops but it'll be well, well under $5 a polyp. My guess is $20ish for each entire frag. There's nearly 190 frags coloring up at this point and they'll be all over the country within the next few months :)

The skirts are juuuuuust starting to color up but they've got white mouths already, apparently t5's are much better at fully coloring these up than the 1000w 20k halide I've got the ones in this thread under since these were fully browned out three weeks ago.

post-14867-1276721883_thumb.jpg

post-14867-1276721893_thumb.jpg

Archived