ReefCleaners.org

Red hornets and why they're not rare part 2

organism

I don't mind names so much. You say I have some "tubbs blue" zoas, and pople have an idea what you have.

yup, names originally started as a way to know what coral people were talking about, it wasn't about money at all. Now it's the opposite, no one knows what coral people are talking about since each morph has 30 names, it's only about the money. If you named it you're the only one with it, everyone has to get it from you or they're gay because they don't have all the pokemon.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you named it you're the only one with it, everyone has to get it from you or they're gay because they don't have all the pokemon.

I hate big, distracting sigs (I have sigs turned off), but this is going in mine.

gulfsurfer101
here's mine

what are you guys trying to distinguish?

2mgv1c1.jpg

Dude I hope you didn't pay what people are paying for that single polyp. Those are the same ones under fire here and I was able to pick up a frag of the very same zoa for 8 bucks for a 15 headed frag to preform my own little lighting experiment. If you have doubts or think I'm lying send me your email and I'll email you a shot from my phone of the frag I picked up. Get your money back. I've been following this thread with some kind of interst since last night and decided to go an grab a frag for myself and test it under my finnex 150wMH/2x24w T-5 over my finnex AIO 30g. The lighting configuration I'll be using is a pheonix14k for good old dependability and one 460 and one 420 sps blue life T-5's for actinic pop. I Haven't gotten too far past this post when I felt the need to post. If the op is right and all you need is the right ligting configuration to get these things to morph into what the vendors are selling off as collector coral then I'm with him on them being not so rare. If I wanted to walk back into my LFS tommorrow I can have a 100+colony of the same polyp you have pictured and I have fragged for less that 60 bucks tommorrow.

Dude I hope you didn't pay what people are paying for that single polyp. Those are the same ones under fire here and I was able to pick up a frag of the very same zoa for 8 bucks for a 15 headed frag to preform my own little lighting experiment.

If I wanted to walk back into my LFS tommorrow I can have a 100+colony of the same polyp you have pictured and I have fragged for less that 60 bucks tommorrow.

The picture there is of a lineaged one, that's just how they look like when they're not under blue LED's nor photoshopped. Which is to say, they look just like mine :)

I Haven't gotten too far past this post when I felt the need to post.

Then you're gonna love page 26 :happy:

ok, so does anyone have any ideas on how to run a DBTC thread on these to make sure that people actually pass a frag along to another hobbyist within a month and a half?

For some reason DBTC threads fall apart once laziness sets in, so we need some kind of incentive or deposit thing going on here to keep the frags moving...

ok, so does anyone have any ideas on how to run a DBTC thread on these to make sure that people actually pass a frag along to another hobbyist within a month and a half?

For some reason DBTC threads fall apart once laziness sets in, so we need some kind of incentive or deposit thing going on here to keep the frags moving...

I think its a great idea but even in smaller local clubs people get lazy or greedy. I'd go with passing them off to your good buddies and let it trickle out that way.

Carlton'sTank

I will add pics up of the colony I got. I think I will frag the colony and sell frags for $10 and keep one or two for myself.

i would love to pass them on as they grow and would post pics weekly to show progress of growth and coloring even put a deposit in tell i pass one along

animalmaster6
I think its a great idea but even in smaller local clubs people get lazy or greedy. I'd go with passing them off to your good buddies and let it trickle out that way.

+1 just to very trustworthy people

I think that might backfire, I'd much rather bother someone other than my buddies if they get lazy with sending a frag out...

mycoralgarden

Organism

I just sent you an extensive pm with my experience on a wild colony of these red hornets. Pics attached. Let me know your thoughts...

Becky

mycoralgarden

and heres some pics for all you boys & girls. Wild colony, came in with a shipment.

clearly seen alternating skirt...

rhian1.jpg

rhian4.jpg

color up time and add actinics

ianrh1b.jpg

ianrh1a.jpg

hornetfromnicks1.jpg

Clearly these could not be considered real. They are lineage to the ocean, not some guys tank.... :mellow:

Nice pics they look sweet.

Clearly these could not be considered real. They are lineage to the ocean, not some guys tank.... :mellow:

Nice pics they look sweet.

lmao.... :lol: good one!

i have noticed now on vivids website under wysiwyg they are offered for $20-$30 per polyp. a huge drop in price. only time will tell. lol.

nice pics on the colony btw. how much will you be offering them for betty?

NaClCrocodile
I saw that too. Much better! I won't pay $130 for five polyps though.

Yeah... but they've actually got good prices on their zoas. There were these Aussie Orchid ones that were some real stunners. When my tank is set up I'll be placing an order if I can't get in on the DBTC.

Speaking of which, the problem with only going to "trusted" people is that someone like me - who you don't know, per se, is out of the question even though I'd be passing them along because it's the right thing to do. Do let me know when you start it though, because I'd love to get them over to the SE.

animalmaster6

Vivid is awesome. Absolutely one of my favorites. Shaun took a very long time a few months ago on the phone with me helping me choose my light fixture.

post-14867-1278450489_thumb.jpg

post-14867-1278450497_thumb.jpg

post-14867-1278450505_thumb.jpg

Organasm, man...I WANT some of these. As for giving frags out, anybody who knows me will tell you I give people frags all the time.....those are schweeeettt.

Mitch

Okay, so the pics didn't come across, but these are the sweet ones you put on post 525!

and heres some pics for all you boys & girls. Wild colony, came in with a shipment.

clearly seen alternating skirt...

hornetfromnicks1.jpg

See, now that's what I'm talking about! Thanks much for posting these, illustrates the point beautifully :)

Organasm, man...I WANT some of these. As for giving frags out, anybody who knows me will tell you I give people frags all the time.....those are schweeeettt.

Mitch

Okay, so the pics didn't come across, but these are the sweet ones you put on post 525!

For real, those are some great looking zoanthids, there's some ridiculous color combos out there that are just as common as red hornets but look a lot nicer to me. I'm debating starting a "bad ass zoanthid of the week" thread with a new morph each week to show people what they're missing by not visiting their local LFS every so often.

I saw a colony of these that had about 2-300 polyps the other day, they come in every week but unfortunately I can't give out any to hobbyists since I like luxuries like food and sleeping indoors... Now if you find a sponsor on here that's in the LA area I'm sure they could pick some up for you :)

Archived