Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Red hornets and why they're not rare part 2

organism

Just purchased a huge colony of brown zoas from where organism works, lets see what happens.. here's a picture i quickly took, sorry about the blurriness..

These will be under 500 watts of Halide, and 93 watts of PC, I'll update progress weekly.

1022562.jpg

Nice, I was hoping you guys tracked those down, I'm surprised you didn't take some of the more colored up frags that were near those though :)

Why can't we get these where I am :angry:

Any of the nr sponsors that are located in LA can get them for you as well, either in browned out colonies or more colored up (probably pricier), I know Fraggle Reef got a couple the other day to start coloring up under some ridiculous t5's, word is spreading on these :happy:

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
xiongaquatics
Nice, I was hoping you guys tracked those down, I'm surprised you didn't take some of the more colored up frags that were near those though :)

Any of the nr sponsors that are located in LA can get them for you as well, either in browned out colonies or more colored up (probably pricier), I know Fraggle Reef got a couple the other day to start coloring up under some ridiculous t5's, word is spreading on these :happy:

i did got one of the colored up frag. or i think it's a little color up. i pick it up sunday morning and just got home right now. so hope it's survive.

Will be posting up more pics either later today or tomorrow depending on how busy it gets here, put some tiny frags from these frags under the t5's but the water in that system isn't the cleanest so they're getting a bit of algae...

I know im not going from brown to colorful; but im going from colorful to intense color becuse it was under high LED light.

isnt a zoa adopting brighter color when its going from brown to a RH?

Impressive new coloration on those :) I'm curious to get some of these under your led's since the comparison pics are under mainly blue LED's, are you ever up in the LA area?

Impressive new coloration on those :) I'm curious to get some of these under your led's since the comparison pics are under mainly blue LED's, are you ever up in the LA area?

Dont really go up to the LA area much but prob wouldnt mind heading up for the day.

Markushka
Dont really go up to the LA area much but prob wouldnt mind heading up for the day.

Dizzle, I've noticed that the fire and ices you sent me are really orange and bright in my tank too, but they're getting direct light from my MH. I'd been waiting for them to darken lol, guess i'll just move em, though i dont mind the colour too much

Organism, i've been following this thread closely and i'd like to thank you for posting this experiment, I think you've single-handedly brought the value of RH down to reasonable level. Keep it up man, can't wait for your other threads like this!

Organism, i've been following this thread closely and i'd like to thank you for posting this experiment, I think you've single-handedly brought the value of RH down to reasonable level. Keep it up man, can't wait for your other threads like this!

Thanks man, I'm making about 90 red hornets frags today to color up here to send out to any lfs that wants them for near nothing, so the price on these is about to dive bomb in about a month and a half. I'm fragging up every browned out colony that comes in :happy:

What are some other "rare" really overpriced zoanthids (not palys)?

soo... where does organism work? I wanna go there and check it out myself

I work at a wholesaler, so no can do.

animalmaster6

One is BLue Agave's. I love them but they are pretty expensive for really small polyps.

One is BLue Agave's. I love them but they are pretty expensive for really small polyps.

Funny, those are just renamed red halos... The zoaid guys really need to get on the ball and conglomerate the 800 repeat listings on there that are just due to lighting differences in a "first named first kept" fashion. It's getting impossible to navigate that site and it's making the whole zoaid thing pointless. Those are actually fairly uncommon though, but a few rpe morphs will turn into them under higher light.

They don't have really small polyps though, are you thinking of the same ones that are on zoaid?

animalmaster6
Funny, those are just renamed red halos... The zoaid guys really need to get on the ball and conglomerate the 800 repeat listings on there that are just due to lighting differences in a "first named first kept" fashion. It's getting impossible to navigate that site and it's making the whole zoaid thing pointless. Those are actually fairly uncommon though, but a few rpe morphs will turn into them under higher light.

They don't have really small polyps though, are you thinking of the same ones that are on zoaid?

WHAT? :wacko:

Lol. The ones on Bay Corals. Those Blue Agave's.

I always thought they had small polyps.

Yup, those are the ones, they're RPE sized. I'm surprised all of the crazies that were defending bay corals in part 1 of this thread aren't jumping on them for the same reason, if you go by red hornet rules they've renamed a paly that originated from me (red halos) and are ripping people off with a colored up lookalike that happens to also exist in the ocean.

I appriciate threads like this. I've never been a fan of glorifying corals w/ trendy names which tend to bring price gauging with them.

I miss the days where people just traded corals and offered frags off their mother colonies cheap. Now days everyone is trying to profit from frags...selling them for the same price or more as a whole mother colony used to cost.

animalmaster6
Yup, those are the ones, they're RPE sized. I'm surprised all of the crazies that were defending bay corals in part 1 of this thread aren't jumping on them for the same reason, if you go by red hornet rules they've renamed a paly that originated from me (red halos) and are ripping people off with a colored up lookalike that happens to also exist in the ocean.

So what are those?

So what are those?

red halos/blue agaves

I miss the days where people just traded corals and offered frags off their mother colonies cheap. Now days everyone is trying to profit from frags...selling them for the same price or more as a whole mother colony used to cost.

For real, I miss those days too. Unfortunately it's not really the seller's faults, if people are willing to pay 10x what a mother colony costs for a frag then the sellers are just catering to the market. Seems like back then it used to be more about how good something looked than the name, I remember when the only named zoanthids were eagle eyes and the rest were just zoas. Now I can't throw a rock without hitting a dozen classifieds threads where hobbyists bought a $40 colony of zoas from their lfs and are selling them at 1000% markup.

animalmaster6
red halos/blue agaves

Alright I see now. Thanks!

Now lets see...

How about some Darth mauls?

How about some Darth mauls?

Zoanthids not palys...

red halos/blue agaves

For real, I miss those days too. Unfortunately it's not really the seller's faults, if people are willing to pay 10x what a mother colony costs for a frag then the sellers are just catering to the market. Seems like back then it used to be more about how good something looked than the name, I remember when the only named zoanthids were eagle eyes and the rest were just zoas. Now I can't throw a rock without hitting a dozen classifieds threads where hobbyists bought a $40 colony of zoas from their lfs and are selling them at 1000% markup.

I think this is still pretty much the case, because for most people purchases are based on appearance more than "rarity".

Lineage is a completely different story, if it is known. This adds to rarity and makes sense that it would increase the value, at least for for those who want pieces with known "backgrounds".

I agree with Org when you pointed out that there will almost always be "lookalike(s)" that happen to also exist in the ocean. I don't mind paying more for awesome looking stuff, but I am not concerned with "lineaged" corals. I think the hornets look awesome but the price isn't there yet for me. It will come down and I'll jump in when the polyps appearance warrants the $$$. I'd be totally happy with some colored-up "lookalikes" or "lineaged" ones

Totally JMO

Lineage is a completely different story, if it is known. This adds to rarity and makes sense that it would increase the value, at least for for those who want pieces with known "backgrounds".

And I totally respect the people that want to pay more for lineaged ones too, I've done that with a few acros even when the wild counterparts were available since they had better value in trades with lineage (which is another lineage perk), just showing that contrary to vendor misinformation there's a ton of non-lineaged red hornets in the sea and they come in all the time :)

And I totally respect the people that want to pay more for lineaged ones too, I've done that with a few acros even when the wild counterparts were available since they had better value in trades with lineage (which is another lineage perk), just showing that contrary to vendor misinformation there's a ton of non-lineaged red hornets in the sea and they come in all the time :)

^BOOM

And I want some!!

Now I can't throw a rock without hitting a dozen classifieds threads where hobbyists bought a $40 colony of zoas from their lfs and are selling them at 1000% markup.

This really irks me too. Even on this site you'll see people post a thread in the ID section about how they snagged this colony of zoanthids for $20 asking if it has a name. Then they turn around and frag it and try to sell it at absurd prices.

Luckily I think the majority of people still purchase corals based on looks than on names. That's partially the reason why nobody has stumbled across the corals you found, because everyone assumes they're just brown corals.

Archived