inTank Media Baskets

Red hornets and why they're not rare part 2

organism

Red hornets don't fit into this category because there is a limited supply of red ring polyps with alternating solid red skirts.

Have you even looked at any of the newer pics? These are already red ring polyps with alternating red skirts. They're getting more and more solid by the day, took some new pics yesterday that I've still gotta go through :)

There is no shortage of red ring polyps with alternating red skirts, about as much a shortage of those as orange bam bams...

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you even looked at any of the newer pics? These are already red ring polyps with alternating red skirts. They're getting more and more solid by the day, took some new pics yesterday that I've still gotta go through :)

There is no shortage of red ring polyps with alternating red skirts, about as much a shortage of those as orange bam bams...

I purchased some newly shipped & fragged polyps (40+ for $36). They weren't dull but semi faded.

This week they're showing gasp. Purple, yellow ring and alternating skirts.

But god forbid I call them "PH".

I like em. Whatever they are. That's what counts IMO

Seriously man, give up the dream of having true red hornets. I do not see dark red alternating skirts in those newer pics. My friend can hook you up with a one polyp frag for $100, it's obvious that you want one badly. PM me and I'll pass you his info. ;)

I purchased some newly shipped & fragged polyps (40+ for $36). They weren't dull but semi faded.

This week they're showing gasp. Purple, yellow ring and alternating skirts.

But god forbid I call them "PH".

I like em. Whatever they are. That's what counts IMO

Photo's please. My lfs said they were selling colonies of PH's for like $40. I never actually got to see them though.

Seriously man, give up the dream of having true red hornets. I do not see dark red alternating skirts in those newer pics. My friend can hook you up with a one polyp frag for $100, it's obvious that you want one badly. PM me and I'll pass you his info. ;)

Photo's please. My lfs said they were selling colonies of PH's for like $40. I never actually got to see them though.

I'm only working with an iPhone 3g, so they just look like a blur(I've tried).

I have to stop spending $ on frags & get my laptop working again :(

when I purchased they were almost blueish with the ring and brown skirts. I actually hoped they'd stay blue but turned lovely purple- go figure.

I know of another lfs selling a colony of "purple hornet paly's" for $200 but they're super faded to the point of non-recognition and half is closed up. I personally wouldn't drop $200 on any piece in not so perfect condition but I do gamble on anything at about $30 or under as I've had great results in a lot of browned out polyps turning really colorful. Especially when I purchase from a MH tank, my t5hos seem to color up zoas & lps really well.

Seriously man, give up the dream of having true red hornets. I do not see dark red alternating skirts in those newer pics.

I must not be seeing what you are seeing. What is the problem with the ones he posted?

I don't understand people that dont believe in progress, at one time some one pulled RH out of the ocean do you think they got the only colony, and when it comes to corals why question Miguel check his site and book out he knows hit stuff even Tyree can see that.

Nice work Miguel hope to see you flood the market with every high end polyp out there dirt cheep.

Speaking of which, this thread right here is effing awesome. You know, the one with fiction101 arguing tirelessly about how brown palys color up as lunar eclipse even though they look nothing like them, they're pictured in this thread by the way looking nearly identical to the browned out red hornets before "a few months of coloring up", especially since anyone that didn't agree they'd color up was "you guys are fools". An entire thread of the exact same argument as this one nearly word for word. Really convenient which side of the fence people fall on and how quickly they forget the things they've argued for when it's their wallet on the line. Oh wait, there's also the post in this thread and the post in this one explaining how lights make a huge difference. Although I'm sure none of this applies specifically only to these red hornets zoanthids because "insert upcoming hypocritical rant on how this doesn't apply to red hornets here".

For fiction101, only a bunch of idiots wouldn't agree with him that these

post-14867-1272397197_thumb.jpg

Would color up to these bottom left ones under good lighting. Especially since they took "a couple of months" under good lighting and tank conditions to color up that way. Apparently only an idiot would think the exact same thing about red hornets since it's already been a whole couple of weeks and they're not glowing yet. I believe at this point the word you're looking for is pwned, but again, really looking forward to that upcoming hypocritical rant since some people like to entertainingly a-bomb when they have to eat their own words. Ironically those aren't lunar eclipse by the way, they're organism palys, and according to zoa drama rules only the true ones originated from me, so those must be fakes posted by a scammer. That said a friend of mine's got the true organism palys at $100 a polyp, from your thread it's obvious that you want them badly so pm me and I'll pass you his info, unless you don't feel like paying $100 for a dime a dozen red polyp with a fancy name.

post-14867-1272397243_thumb.jpg

Anyways, moving along to the red hornets.

Some newer pics, even more alternating skirts are starting to color up. No t5's yet, they're still under the old 1000w 20k bulbs until I get the fixture fixed up, but soon :) Pretty impressive for some really old 1000w 20k bulbs actually.

Crappy pic

post-14867-1272390301_thumb.jpg

Fancy close-up vendor style pic with the tiniest bit of saturation

post-14867-1272390315_thumb.jpg

xiongaquatics

nice picture organism. thanks for the updated picture.

you should try fraging single poly frag, photoshop the hell out of it and post the picture.

you should try fraging single poly frag, photoshop the hell out of it and post the picture.

Fragged a few single polyp frags yesterday, those pics will start next week :)

If you're going to be down in LA pm me, I'll set a colony aside for you if you're stopping by here.

Just to clear up Xiong is a retailer who has accounts at LA wholesalers, so I can set him aside a rock of brown zoanthids with red rings that no one wants with no worries, but I can't do that for hobbyists since I like the luxuries of food and rent :)

animalmaster6

Theyr'e looking good :)

I actually might start collecting brown zoas lol. If they don't look good, hey, you can always sell them. Even $2/pp is okay to me for them. At least you're making money.

Also a heads up Mr.Coral just posted a bunch of sweet hornets. Like 4 or 5 varieties. Awesome deal :)

GrandpaFeathers

This is ridiculous. I don't know how people can even argue over this anymore. Organism has made a very clear point by now. (S)he got red hornets for cheap. All red hornets should be cheap. They're common as ####.

By the way, I've got a small colony (15ish heads) I'm coloring up. Got it for free in a trade for a duncan head. They were ugly a couple weeks ago.

I got 30 heads of RPE for $20. They were brown but i recognized them by their skirt and the green mouth.

I :wub: organism.

I actually might start collecting brown zoas lol. If they don't look good, hey, you can always sell them. Even $2/pp is okay to me for them. At least you're making money.

This is ridiculous. I don't know how people can even argue over this anymore. Organism has made a very clear point by now. (S)he got red hornets for cheap. All red hornets should be cheap. They're common as ####.

Thanks much for the rationality guys, much appreciated :)

Just to clear up though, I work at a wholesaler so I see tons of colonies of these and took a few frags in order to color them up and show how they're common as ****, I didn't buy them and am not selling any... Fortunately anyone can make their own at home by digging through their lfs's ugly zoanthids bin :happy:

xiongaquatics
Fragged a few single polyp frags yesterday, those pics will start next week :)

If you're going to be down in LA pm me, I'll set a colony aside for you if you're stopping by here.

i'm sure i can find a few variety of these zoa with red ring for dirt cheap at the wholesaler. i would love to pick up a colony of the one you have. thank you for the offer. i'll PM you friday if i do head down.

uh-oh! The price of brown polyps just went up!

_DSC2024-1.jpg

don't know if it's a proper RH or not and don't really care. Freebie thrown in with a ebay buy and has actually colored up more in the week since this was taken. The seller referred to them as hornets and had no qualms about tossing it in.

jamesnmandy

i didnt read through the whole thread, but if you still want to get some grown out and colored up im pretty sure i can get that done.....would take pics and give updates regularly here, have an established resputation selling small cheap frags to many members and a fairly large very well established and stable system etc......

or not, either way, just tosing it out there

xiongaquatics
_DSC2024-1.jpg

don't know if it's a proper RH or not and don't really care. Freebie thrown in with a ebay buy and has actually colored up more in the week since this was taken. The seller referred to them as hornets and had no qualms about tossing it in.

i see alternating skirt. anyone else see that too?

more picture please.

will try soon. super busy this week. Funny if these are the real thing because he had a 10 polyp frag on ebay for $9.99 and it didn't sell.

GrandpaFeathers

By the way, I've got a small colony (15ish heads) I'm coloring up. Got it for free in a trade for a duncan head. They were ugly a couple weeks ago.

I got 30 heads of RPE for $20. They were brown but i recognized them by their skirt and the green mouth.

I :wub: organism.

I'm almost positive they're RH after seeing some pics of others. I'll work on a pic tonight.

Archived