Top Shelf Aquatics

Red hornets and why they're not rare part 2

organism

Fiction is there some reason that this bothers you?? You buying futures in red hornets? :D

"You seriously think that it's an optical illusion? All the skirts get the same amount of light."

This is not true and has been discussed already in the thread. This zoa has a double skirt, one layer reaches upwards, receives more light and thus turns red. The other that leans downwards receives less light and therefore takes on a more brown/black color. You do see the macro pictures (albeit not that clear of macros) that show the upper skirt with brilliant red and the lower without right?

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll see who gets Teabagged in November! lmao....

btw, who cares about these zoas anyways! lol.... not me, they're ugly. HA Next topic?

:lol:

I do have a legitimate question to those that are posting in favor of the elite red hornet zoas:

Since the colors and shadings can fluctuate so much with each polyp, and depending on how much light each polyp gets, then theoretically, you can mis-name certain types based on the color and intensity of lighting in your tank. How do you maintain legitimacy, and consistency across the board? Is there a prescribed environment these should be grown in? Is there some kind of certification process?

Dog breeders have to follow guidelines and maintain lineage, records and consistency in rearing in order to remain certified. The same with Orchid growers, African violets, and other "collecting/breeding" hobbies.

"You seriously think that it's an optical illusion? All the skirts get the same amount of light."

This is not true and has been discussed already in the thread. This zoa has a double skirt, one layer reaches upwards, receives more light and thus turns red. The other that leans downwards receives less light and therefore takes on a more brown/black color. You do see the macro pictures (albeit not that clear of macros) that show the upper skirt with brilliant red and the lower without right?

If people are going to actively ignore crystal clear photographs on page 5 and the original comparison pics showing the lineaged ones doing the same thing then there's no use arguing with them, obviously there's an agenda to keep red hornets rare (profitable) that isn't concerned with trivialities like "facts" and "pictures". With the skirts it's like the death panels thing at this point, much funnier than it is annoying since it's fairly transparent what's going on there and it's not fooling anyone by now.

btw, who cares about these zoas anyways! lol.... not me, they're ugly. HA Next topic?

Next topic, Dege pinks and why they look awesome in my tank even though he likes to teabag :happy:

here's mine

what are you guys trying to distinguish?

2mgv1c1.jpg

Are those lineaged ones? Out of curiosity what lighting do you have them under?

And motu828, thanks very much for posting your lineaged pic as well, much appreciated! What kind of lighting is yours under?

Yes they're lineage. 70w mh bulbs xm 20k it's day light shot so

lots of sunlight in the room, so it's pretty white. But seriously what are you guys looking for? Alternating skirts?\

If you are questioning if they alternate? yes the top skirts are more red while the bottom are darker. Whether thus is due to light? i really doubt it cause it's only a few small measurement away from each other, it's not like the skirts are behind each other. But this is my own theory.

Ahhh Miguel! lmao..... The infamous and UltraLE rare "dege pinks".

heres a pic for those of you that are not fortunate enuf to have these! :P And yes, the waiting list is very long! HA :P

th_IMG_0754.jpg

If you are questioning if they alternate? yes the top skirts are more red while the bottom are darker. Whether thus is due to light? i really doubt it cause it's only a few small measurement away from each other, it's not like the skirts are behind each other. But this is my own theory.

No worries there, the skirts alternate because every other skirts kind of curls under while the top ones stay straight and get more light, like you can see in this post

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2793666

That's also why in the comparison lineaged pics in the first post you can see the same thing, red skirts when they all get light, alternating skirts when they get big enough and color up. With your pic and motu828's I'd say, um... whole lot more similarities with the non-lineaged ones than the photoshopped versions. Who's good with photoshop, out of curiosity?

just wanted to add that my RPE's have alternating skirts when under full actinics. The tops will be neon blue and the bottom skirts stay a redish brown.

I wonder what I can name them :)

Ahhh Miguel! lmao..... The infamous and UltraLE rare "dege pinks".

heres a pic for those of you that are not fortunate enuf to have these! :P And yes, the waiting list is very long! HA :P

th_IMG_0754.jpg

i like them :D

this thread is on a fast track to getting locked <_<

Johnnymu's look exactly the same as the ones posted by org... and the ones i posted (which i prob got from the same place)... I will post more of my own a few days after being under 120w of LED if you want

these have only been under good lighting for about a week, im imagining that they will get better with time and the brighter red skirt will outshine the duller

before Photoshop

IMG_1366.jpg

after

IMG_1366b.jpg

the only conclusion that i could come to is that these are NOT red hornets, rather, something much more rare: red zornets. $500pp, any takers?

New pics as of today, they've been about 4' from a 1000w 20k halide in the back waiting for Carson. Compared to the pic of the lineaged one above I'd have to say hmmmmmm.... ;)

If anyone knows photoshop I'd love to see a pic of these put through the same filters that the enhanced pic in the first post used.

post-14867-1271201724_thumb.jpg

post-14867-1271201717_thumb.jpg

GAH! I didn't realize you were waiting for me! I may take tomorrow off and if I do I will buzz down.

By the way what do you need me to do for your experiment? Feed? Certain PAR? Certain spectrum? Can do on all the above.

On the feeding note I am seeing my "deep water Japanese zoa's" grow out as well. Seems that they like Salifert pellets as much as my PD's and Magicians. To the point where I have had to change my feeding technique so they don't get too much food. So it seems that at least some subsets of zoa do and can eat.

Water quality has gotten better now that the ATB is back on line. My spinach, kale, and Edimome have as well what with all the RO diluted dark brackish water they get. ;)

Oh and what the <dirty word> is all this about linage? What stops me or anyone else for that matter claiming that mine are linage? Is there some kind of AKC for corals that I am not aware of?

This really looks like a case of "the next hot thing" and artificial scarcity.

OH and I see those "Denge Pinks" all the time at my LFS. He gets his stuff from a transshipper and they come in dark pink, spend about two weeks under 20k 1,000w MH then get that nice pink color. He charges $60 for a colony of about 30 or so. I had some for a while then gave them away. I just didn't like the pink.

Just to throw this out there, Photoshop isn't meant to be used to max out saturation on your photos to make your corals look better. Except for the idiots on eBay, the majority of people who have it use it to make their pictures look more true to life, not the other way around.

I typically have to desaturate most of my photos a hair in order to get it looking right.

So I don't think it's fair to assume that just because Makoy's, Marvin's and Nanoyed's photos look unreal that it's due to photoshop and not the coral's actual coloration.

Although the "colored up" photo in the original post does show signs of being oversaturated.

Deleted User 6

I've seen makoy's tank in person a couple times now. his corals have insane color. he uses blue LED supplementation to bring out the florescence, but other than that, the color is just from good husbandry. his pics might be a bit saturated, but from what I've seen, it's not really far off.

Archived