Top Shelf Aquatics

Red hornets and why they're not rare part 2

organism

No worries, just keep me posted and thanks again for the offer! Also I'm on a gluten free diet now since apparently that was giving me a ton of issues like, for instance, feeling exhausted for literally the last decade and massive knee pain that's stopped me from training for the last 6 months, so donuts = no es bueno for me :(

On the other hand I'm awake for the first time in a decade, so hooray on that one :happy:

Cheers. Wow! That does suck! I will have to talk to Uncle Joe about some gluten free donuts! Can't have you missing out!

Oh hey... Would you mind cruising over to my tank thread and looking at the zoa's that are right above the Purple Death paly invasion I have? Are they one of those "rare" zoa's you speak of? Not sure but I paid very little for them way back when and they have grown out pretty well...

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What??? Who? Which forums?

Doesn't matter, just some idiot that thought he was going to bully me into not reposting this thread neither here nor elsewhere. I think he'd been reading "internet tough guy" magazine for a bit too long, and I was kind of waiting to hear what martial art he was going to claim to have mastered in case the banning me thing didn't work. Then I remembered that you can block pm's -_-

Cheers. Wow! That does suck! I will have to talk to Uncle Joe about some gluten free donuts! Can't have you missing out!

Yeah, if I can score some gluten free donuts and somehow a gluten free big mac I'll be loving life :)

I can't place those zoanthids though, do you have a better pic?

Still can't quite make them out unfortunately, they look like a few that come in fairly often but it's hard to tell. I'll see if I can find them here and get you a pic.

Still can't quite make them out unfortunately, they look like a few that come in fairly often but it's hard to tell. I'll see if I can find them here and get you a pic.

Nah. Don't bother. They have that red center with a little ring about them. Not really important. Just curious. I will most likely be fragging and donating them soon anyway. That plus some eagle eyes that are out of control as well.

not that theres a need for more evidence, but:

I recently got a small rock of these from work, they come in all the time, even if they are all browned out. 120w of LEDs should do the trick :happy:

IMG_1333.jpg

or if you prefer the ebay method of displaying zoas, pump the saturation way up

IMG_1333-1.jpg

not that theres a need for more evidence, but:

I recently got a small rock of these from work, they come in all the time, even if they are all browned out. 120w of LEDs should do the trick :happy:

Nice, that's exactly what I'm talking about, and they've already got those "rare and unique only to red hornets" alternating skirts too :) Please post some coloring up pics if you get a chance, even though it's pretty clear already... It's funny, every pic I've seen from hobbyists that have red hornets in their tanks look like yours, then the vendors of them have those super "enhanced" pics that make them look "rare".

I don't have any macro for sale, I'll trade though :)

Can't ship these hornets but I'm sure whomever colors them up can, that way you can do a comparison with your lineaged ones. Out of curiosity do you have that pic of your lineaged ones? I've been trying to track it down on here to add in as a non-photoshopped comparison but for some reason I can't find the pic.

Deleted User 6
I don't have any macro for sale, I'll trade though :)

Can't ship these hornets but I'm sure whomever colors them up can, that way you can do a comparison with your lineaged ones. Out of curiosity do you have that pic of your lineaged ones? I've been trying to track it down on here to add in as a non-photoshopped comparison but for some reason I can't find the pic.

Hmm...I don't have lineaged red hornets. Sorry for the wild goose chase, but I think you're thinking of someone else.

Hmm...I don't have lineaged red hornets. Sorry for the wild goose chase, but I think you're thinking of someone else.

Oops, my bad, I'd confused you for moto826, the yoda and hobbit avatars threw me off a bit, I'll see if someone can get you a freebie frag once they color up since your quote in my sig still cracks me up :happy:

Here's the pic I was thinking of from moto826, true, lineaged, unphotoshopped red hornet.

IMG_0145.JPG

New pics as of today, they've been about 4' from a 1000w 20k halide in the back waiting for Carson. Compared to the pic of the lineaged one above I'd have to say hmmmmmm.... ;)

If anyone knows photoshop I'd love to see a pic of these put through the same filters that the enhanced pic in the first post used.

post-14867-1271201724_thumb.jpg

post-14867-1271201717_thumb.jpg

I think the moral of the story here is that the difference between "true" hornets and "fake" hornets is the ability to "prove" lineage. While to many people (myself included) this probably doesn't mean much, but to collectors it would. Similar to people who would only buy a pure-bred dog, regardless of how close the dog at the pound might look.

Organism, I think your point is well taken, which is that if you don't care about "proving" lineage, you can get something that looks the same for a fraction of the price.

They look similar but they still aren't the real deal. This thread is proof that the true hornets are rare and hard to find.

They look similar but they still aren't the real deal. This thread is proof that the true hornets are rare and hard to find.

this is meant to be a joke right? if so i finds the funnies!

I have a cat born with 3 legs. A 3 legged cat is hard to find the REAL DEAL is one born with 3 legs, not an amputee. This is proof my cat is rare and hard to find.

I'm not sure I see any differences that wouldn't be accounted for by difference in lighting/camera.

I'd still be more than happy with those in my tank :)

I think the moral of the story here is that the difference between "true" hornets and "fake" hornets is the ability to "prove" lineage. While to many people (myself included) this probably doesn't mean much, but to collectors it would. Similar to people who would only buy a pure-bred dog, regardless of how close the dog at the pound might look.

Organism, I think your point is well taken, which is that if you don't care about "proving" lineage, you can get something that looks the same for a fraction of the price.

If I buy REAL Red Hornets from someone will I get a pedigree of some sorts, like they give out for pure bred dogs, telling me it's a "true" Red Hornet? How does one prove lineage on zoas?

I'm not sure I see any differences that wouldn't be accounted for by difference in lighting/camera.

This is the problem. Most people do not even bother to compare them. You're telling my that the skirts on those are exactly the same? The reason they call them "hornets" is because the true ones have an alternating skirt. Go check Marvin's red hornet picture and compare them. My friend has a frag of them and they look so much better than the look a likes posted on here.

this is meant to be a joke right? if so i finds the funnies!

Check them out in person, then get back to me.

http://zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gallery2...;g2_itemId=9057

Archived