Cultivated Reef

DulcyDoll's Bedroom Pico

DulcyDoll

I've tried mine in 3 different sockets, 2 wall and 1 on the surge protector, but it didn't work for either. They (JBJ) responded to me in less than 12 hours, very good customer service.

Tested water, Ammonia is down to .50ppm, everything else is the same.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tank is back up and running..

That's good news! Must have been a bad week for bulbs. My son is in the process of building his first 10g AIO and his bulb arrived cracked. DF&S shipped out a new one right away and that one arrived cracked - the third time was a charm and he's up and running now :) Anyway, glad you didn't give up - following along.

Thanks guys, I was really discouraged, the light wasn't too big of a deal, but when the tank started leaking it had me second guessing the whole thing. When the corals came I got excited about it again, and with all of the encouragement from ya'll..I had to keep it goin.

Ammonia is 0, NitrAtes are 20ppm, and Nitrites are 1.0ppm.

im suprised no one has said it, but i would only use that petco bottle in a fish only tank. that metal tip will rust if its the petco bottle im thinking of. i would only use if you plan on being away for a day or two. thats just my .02 cents miss lady

my friend just told me that today when i was explaing how i was going to set up an ATO for my pico. he said to make sure and get one with a rubber tip. i would of never thought of it but it makes sense.

Mr. Microscope
im suprised no one has said it, but i would only use that petco bottle in a fish only tank. that metal tip will rust if its the petco bottle im thinking of. i would only use if you plan on being away for a day or two. thats just my .02 cents miss lady

You can just attach a rubber hose to the end to go into the tank. It makes it much easier to adjust and cut if necessary.

I have removed the ATO for now..looking into making the one to sit on the shelf.

2 weeks in, no diatoms..but we have pods! And the starting of a patch of red bubble algae..

Yesterday's tests showed

Ammonia-0

Nitrates-0

Nitrites-.50ppm

pH-8.2

I think thats it.. looks the same as before, so I won't take up space with a new picture. Cross your fingers for diatoms soon!

Dulcy your tank thread is a nice detail about cycling readings thats a neat reference. Just wanted to pitch the idea of how handy a jet cig lighter is for starting new tanks and dealing with the algae that are common.

Just yesterday I had some red spiky algae (having lost picos to red algae blooms I don't entertain any algae any more) that was encrusting the base of my acan frag Ive been working on. Tweezing it in the system can spread the fragments elsewhere fyi so just wanted to relay how fast it is to take out the frag sometimes and laser jet the sides of it to really remove the bad stuff. the algae is not ever long, take action before.

The algae conducts heat somewhat like it does light along its axis, burnt algae ends transmit the heat to the middle colony without you having to zap that and risk tissue burning! its sick give it a try works with aiptasias and any bad growth including xenias.

what are you running for your light cycle during the tank cycle?

I'm not running any lights yet (the light that came with it isn't working), it is only getting some sunlight from a window.

Thanks for the tip Brandon.

Mr.Microscope, I don't have any new shots of the tank, looks exactly like it did before, I had really grown to love the scape, so I set it up the same.

JBJ called and they are shipping my light on Monday, they said I should have it in about a week.

Light has been shipped..due on the 3rd.

She is 3 weeks old..and still no diatoms..Ammonia is .25ppm, nitrates are 20ppm, nitrites are 1ppm.

sigh :closedeyes:

• 2 weeks later...

omgomgomg My sand is turning brown!! Never thought I would be soo excited for nasty brown algae! Just a light dusting in the back corner and a bit on the rock so far but its something!. Ammonia and Nitrates are 0, Nitrites at 1ppm!

Can't wait for 0 everything so I can get the CUC in there, 5 weeks of looking at 2 starfish and a tube-worm gets kinda boring.

Did you lose all your corals? :-(

Let me know if you need more...still got stuff I want to move out...lots of "farmed" combo rocks...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lkung/

No, haven't lost any. They are temporarily in my 24gallon and are looking great!

I won't be updating for a while, my aunt passed away on Monday and I'll be staying with my cousin for a while helping her with the kids.

My beautiful female goose was killed by a dog on Monday as well..

Been a bad week...

No, haven't lost any. They are temporarily in my 24gallon and are looking great!

I won't be updating for a while, my aunt passed away on Monday and I'll be staying with my cousin for a while helping her with the kids.

My beautiful female goose was killed by a dog on Monday as well..

Been a bad week...

Sorry to hear that Dulcy, hopefully things get better. Looking forward to seeing this tank progress.

I'm not sure what I should do...the tank is 1 month 2 weeks old and I am still getting .25 ammonia. Diatoms are present.

Should I do a water change? Add another piece of LR?

I'm getting a little impatient... <_<

Archived