DulcyDoll

DulcyDoll's Bedroom Pico

DulcyDoll

Well, here goes nothing. I had my heart set on a 55gallon reef, bought the items for it..then the Pico forums lured me in. I dropped 52 gallons in a matter of minutes!

I have a 24 gallon nano cube in my living room, and decided a little 3 gallon would look great on my dresser. I ordered my JBJ 3 gallon Picotope last night, should be here in about a week. I am planning to use the stock 9watt lamp to start, then eventually move up to one of Evils Par38's.

I'm going to go look at Sea Save for live rock, sand is to be determined, I have to shop around, see what the LFS has.

Corals will be softies.

Suggestions on CUC would be great.

New tank specs as of 4/7/10

3 gallon JBJ picotope

Stock lighting BoostLED lamp. 3blue/2white, 60 degree

Modded AC50

Hydor 25watt All Glass Submersible Heater

4lbs of CaribSea Ocean Direct Live Sand

3 lbs of live rock out of my Nano Cube.

FTS 4/7/10

PIco021.jpg

FTS 12/1/2010

get-attachmentaspx1-1.jpg

Edited by DulcyDoll

dtfleming

Watch out for sea save. They like to rip people off. CUC, ceriths, nass.

kidninja

this is exactly what happen to me, i have 12 gallon jbj in my living room and i decided to get a 3 gallon for my bedroom lolz ganna use some outgrown corals from the 12 gallon and throw them into the pico

check out http://www.marcorocks.com/

Edited by kidninja

DulcyDoll
Watch out for sea save. They like to rip people off. CUC, ceriths, nass.

They are close, and I saw rock that another member recently got and it was amazing. I figure if I don't like their stock, or general attitude, its easy enough to take my business elsewhere, now if I was ordering from them, I'd take your warning and find someplace else.

1 nass, 2-3 cerith? more? less?

Ninja, I looked at Marco, but they have a 10lb minimum.

Edited by DulcyDoll

dtfleming

That would work. I would check HOT also. That should be close to you too.

DulcyDoll

I have heard about HOT, but strangely enough, I've never been. I'll have to take a day and go check both of those place's out.

lovelandbmxrider

any pics yet?

Mr. Microscope

CUC

I have just two ceriths, one nerite (used to be two, but the stupid thing crawled out and died), and a bunch of stomatella hhs. From what I gather, you'll only need a nassarius if you are going to be feeding the tank (fish or corals). They are canivorous scavengers. You especially shouldn't need one if you happen to get a bristleworm hh. Also, stay away from crabs (aside from the peaceful porcelain). Both hermits and emeralds have a reputation for nipping at corals. I haven't seen this, just read a lot about it and didn't want to gamble.

DulcyDoll

I can post pics of where it will be setting :P

I just ordered the tank last night, should be here in about a week..

cloons411
CUC

I have just two ceriths, one nerite (used to be two, but the stupid thing crawled out and died), and a bunch of stomatella hhs. From what I gather, you'll only need a nassarius if you are going to be feeding the tank (fish or corals). They are canivorous scavengers. You especially shouldn't need one if you happen to get a bristleworm hh. Also, stay away from crabs (aside from the peaceful porcelain). Both hermits and emeralds have a reputation for nipping at corals. I haven't seen this, just read a lot about it and didn't want to gamble.

I have not experienced this with the 4 mithrix crabs that I have owned. I wouldn't rule them out. I love having them in my tank.

DulcyDoll
CUC

I'll hold off on the Nassarius until I get a fish, don't want any unnecessary feeding. If I don't get any stomatella hhs, I have a few in my 24 that I can spare, they do a wonderful job.

I'm actually thinking about getting a Pom-Pom crab, I love them, and wanted one for the 24, but they are so small I figured it would just disappear in a large tank..Finding one with both nems intact is a pain though.

I had an emerald, and loved him. he was my first tank inhabitant, other than the snails. He was an awesome little crab, never messed with any corals, and at bubble algae! He died, and I am debating trying another.

tolson83

House of Tropical for the most part is complete garbage... way over priced, their corals are brown, employees will sell you anything under any circumstances to make a sale and dont know anything, there live rock is not alive unless your get it from the one tank which i think it is 12 dollars and its virtually the same rock as sea saves but it has been sitting in there for ages and the water quality and so forth of the tank probably does not compare to sea saves setup although i dont know if that matters. best places i have been around the baltimore area is sea save and exotic aquatics off off exit 30 b on 695 north of towson. they have reallllly nice corals but their live rock is sub par on a good day. Also exotic has an awesome invert section ( a section of small tanks housing all sorts of shrimp/crabs (any you can think of) and small fish and many other things however i went there tonight to get my snails (4 margaritas, and 4 trochus i see your looking for cuc opinions :lol: i will also be looking to add some cerith and maybe 2 nassarius later on ) and the section has been taken down to repair wall damage and it wont be back up until it gets fixed.

DulcyDoll
House of Tropical for the most part is complete garbage... way over priced, their corals are brown, employees will sell you anything under any circumstances to make a sale and dont know anything, there live rock is not alive unless your get it from the one tank which i think it is 12 dollars and its virtually the same rock as sea saves but it has been sitting in there for ages and the water quality and so forth of the tank probably does not compare to sea saves setup although i dont know if that matters. best places i have been around the baltimore area is sea save and exotic aquatics off off exit 30 b on 695 north of towson. they have reallllly nice corals but their live rock is sub par on a good day. Also exotic has an awesome invert section ( a section of small tanks housing all sorts of shrimp/crabs (any you can think of) and small fish and many other things however i went there tonight to get my snails (4 margaritas, and 4 trochus i see your looking for cuc opinions :lol: i will also be looking to add some cerith and maybe 2 nassarius later on ) and the section has been taken down to repair wall damage and it wont be back up until it gets fixed.

Oh boy, thanks for the info on HOT, maybe I'll skip that one :scarry: .

I do most of my shopping at Exotic Aquatics, they are very clean, and have a wonderful selection. I was there 2 weeks ago they had just removed the invert tanks, it made me sad, that is my favorite part of the store, looking at all of the little cubes seeing what little treasures are hidden in each. Their customer service isn't the greatest, meaning you have to chase people down to get your livestock, but usually once you have their attention, they are nice. I also go to Toms Tropicals on Belair Road, they don't have much of a saltwater selection, but their stuff is always healthy, and they ask you about your setup before you buy something, its a family based place, go in there a few times and they greet you like your an old friend. Been going there since I was a toddler for freshie tanks, they are the only place I will buy freshwater fish from.

badfish816

Stomatellas, stomatellas, and more stomatellas. The best and biggest part of my cleanup crew. And they are free, where you can find them.

Mr. Microscope

Tell me about it. I love those things! I had a monster stomatella hh when I first set up. You could see it from across the room. It was honestly the size of my thumb from knuckle to tip. I named it Salty Tellavera. One day it died (probably of old age). I was kinda sad, but then a week later, I found a tiny little baby stomatella. Then, another one the next day. Within a few weeks, my tank was full of them. It's like something out of a children's book. The thing left a legacy of itself. Now I watch them race all over my tank. They even crawl out onto the leaves of the macro and inside the intake of the AC70 without getting sucked up by the impeller. One time I watched three of them race around the sides of my tank. Within ten minutes they were on their second lap. I was about ready to paint numbers on their shells and start placing bets!

+1 on the stomatellas. The only place they don't seem to go is under the substrate. The ceriths seem to do a good job on that end.

DulcyDoll

Got my confirmation number for the tank, estimated delivery date is Monday the 5th. I hate waiting... -_-

Today I am putting a fresh coat of paint on my dresser, I figure 4 days is more than enough for it to dry completely. I may put a coat of poly on top.

Does anyone recommend putting something under the tank, like shelf liner?

I fragged a couple zoa's to go in it, and a nice little hairy mushroom. I'm thinking about some anthelia, but not sure if I want to deal with the hassle of trimming it.

My big stomatella was spawning yesterday, hopefully I'll have a few babies survive.

.Newman.

in terms of putting something under the tank treat it as if it were a huge 100gal+ reef. what would you put under that tank? i would at least do a thin layer of foam or something...

DulcyDoll

I use the square foam stuff. I wasn't sure as I have seen them on foam, and some just on the hard surface, Thanks

The delivery date has been updated to TOMORROW! omgomgomg

Mr. Microscope

Cool. I hope your paint dries fast.

DulcyDoll

Here is my first picture, as you can see..the tank did not arrive today :( updated again back to 4/5 for the delivery date. It is in MD though, so hopefully it will be here tomorrow fingerscrossed

This is my dresser..my Pico's home. The plastic drawer to the right is my little meal worm farm for the gliders, please excuse the mess.

Picture1-dresser.jpg

Edited by DulcyDoll

molsen187

this looks like it is going to be a sweet clean set up. off to a good start already.

DulcyDoll

Your all probably tired of my updates already, but..

My pico's home has a temporary resident.

0403002041.jpg

0403002043a.jpg

His name is Dewie.. My goose sat on a nest with a single fertile egg for 36 days, the baby had formed completely, but died before it hatched, Dewie is her adopted (duck) child..Happy Easter!

DulcyDoll

ITS HERE!!!

Have it sitting empty, getting ready to do a water test...

As soon as I get the sand, I'll be starting it up, I have a 1.5lb piece of rock in my 24 that I'll put in it to get things started and I'll head to the store in a few days to get the rest. :D

easter2010057.jpg

Cheetos

Sweet! Are you leaving the stock light and filter on it? An LED would look awesome on that tank! :P

ihatesears18

If only the duck would stay that small...