inTank Media Baskets

DulcyDoll's Bedroom Pico

DulcyDoll

Hatter is doing well, eating and perching like normal. I think he misses his anthelia, but he can have it back when he is healthy.

I ordered my BoostLED light yesterday (the 28th) at 4pm, and already have a shipping confirmation at 1:30 am..fastest shipping EVER..Anyway, I went with a 3 blue/2 white configuration with 60degree optics instead of the 4b/1w..I think it would have been too blue for me with only 1 white. Can't wait to get it and see what it does to the colors of my corals, not to mention growth :D

I know I need to light acclimate the corals to the led's, but how high should I start the bulb at? right now the tank has 48w of PC over it. I have a good 2.5' of clearance over the tank.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light came today, have it hooked up and it looks great. The shimmer is amazing, and I have already noticed the greens are greener. I have it about 16 inches above the tank.

I was playing with it, and think I need to order an all blue one :rolleyes:

Here is a FTS just to hold you over until my camera charges, crappy quality from my phone..

get-attachmentaspx1-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

New pictures, haven't added anything since the last update. Unfortunately, Hatter didn't make it through the ich treatment, he was doing great, then one day he was just laying on the bottom breathing heavy, an hour later he was dead :( So, no more fish until the tank is a year old and things grow out some.

Anyway, here are the pictures :)

IMAG0036.jpg

Top Down

IMAG0033.jpg

Ricc

IMAG0020.jpg

Baby Superman shrooms

IMAG0035.jpg

Favorite members of the tank, my blue cloves and large superman mushie

IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

too bad about the fish :( That is a good plan. keep the tank fishless for at least 1.5 months. more is even better. i really like the shrooms :)

what other inverts are in this tank again?

Mr. Microscope

Sorry about the fish. Your tank looks awesome though! Your mushrooms are cool. Those cloves are actually a different coral called sympodium. What's on that frag plug on the left?

Thanks, pondering the idea of a new mushie only pico :happy:

An astrea snail, a Nass. snail, 2 micro brittle stars and a sh*t ton of asterina stars and bristle worms that I am slowly clearing out. Thinking about a small emerald to help with the turf algae.

The asterina are starting to worry me, they like to attach to my zoa's, then the zoa won't open back up. Lost a frag of 2 green zoa's after a star latched on to it..so I'm not sure if they are eating them or just ####### them off to the point of killing them. They only do it in this tank though. :unsure:

Sorry about the fish. Your tank looks awesome though! Your mushrooms are cool. Those cloves are actually a different coral called sympodium. What's on that frag plug on the left?

There are 2 hangin' out on the bottom, some purple palys recovering from bleaching and a 1 polyp frag of a tan/green mouth paly (hoping they may color up differently under led).

Edit.. Just realized which frag plug you were talking about. Those are some oragnish-yellow paly's that have only gone downhill since I got them, they are melting away. The plug was covered when I got them :/

Mr. Microscope

From what I've read, asterinas can be tricky. I've never seen one bother my stuff, but I've heard of them messing with zoas. I'd get the ones in your Pico out.

agreed, if you regularly see them latching on to your corals, they're likely eating them, get them out. good asterinas cruise the glass and rock, eating deposits.

I've been picking them off the glass every morning when the lights come on, but they seem to be multiplying overnight. I picked off about 10 this morning alone. I'll keep it up until they are all gone. And like I said, i have a large population of them in my other tank and they don't touch the corals..maybe there isn't enough food for them in the pico.

Another little question..What are the thoughts on how to get rid of colonial hydroids? I have 2 or 3 small patches of them on the rock on the left, I'm afraid to put anything on it because the hydroids will for sure irritate everything.

Mr. Microscope

Maybe you could borrow somebody's harly shrimp for a while to while out tue population.

For hydroids, remove the rock and use a fine pair of tweezers. Grab right at the base of the stem and sharply pluck out the tube as you would a hair. If you do it right, you'll see a little black end. If not you'll just have the tube and the hydroid will grow back. Some people put a dab of superglue over the spot where the tube was. Though that can be aesthetically displeasing. I say, pluck and see what grows back and repeat the process until they're all gone. The bigger ones are easier to get. Good luck!

thesmallerthebetter
Maybe you could borrow somebody's harly shrimp for a while to while out tue population.

For hydroids, remove the rock and use a fine pair of tweezers. Grab right at the base of the stem and sharply pluck out the tube as you would a hair. If you do it right, you'll see a little black end. If not you'll just have the tube and the hydroid will grow back. Some people put a dab of superglue over the spot where the tube was. Though that can be aesthetically displeasing. I say, pluck and see what grows back and repeat the process until they're all gone. The bigger ones are easier to get. Good luck!

i had a little patch of the buggers in my quarter gallon that cost me a wonderful frag of green granulosa!

what i did at first was pluck them. that didnt work. the other thing i tried was superglue...that works for a while but then they came back. what i wound up doing was using a bic lighter and scorching their house. that worked :)

• 1 month later...

I did a little changing, hopefully you all like it as much as I do :D I got rid of the big rock that was on the right of the tank and stole two smaller rocks out of my 24 to replace it. Looks a little different now, better in my opinion. No critters other than the CUC..I also added the stock filter on the right side of the tank for a little more flow, it has my chemipure eilte and filter floss in it.

Has mostly mushrooms in it now, zoas don't seem to like this tank much..maybe because it doesn't get fed enough.

shrooms3.jpg

shrooms2.jpg

whatcha think??

looks really good now. too bad about the zoas. mine do great with one simple weekly feeding of zooplankton food or even cyclops would be satisfactory IMO.

good call on only running the CUC for a while, the tank should be running fairly stable and light now which is good since now its got more bio room for corals to grow and take over.

Thanks Newman. I'll have to get some cyclops and try again with zoas. I kinda feel like its pointless to have LED for something as low light requiring as mushrooms. I'm hoping to have some extra cash next week so I think I'm going to try my very first LPS, maybe a small acan. :happy:

I'm going to wait as long as I can stand it to add any non-coral livestock..which, I mean I'm enjoying the tank a lot more than before, now that rocks aren't covered in algae and everything in it is happy.

I started feeding the tank on the 14th with cyclop-eeze, and a few pieces of mysis for the nass. I've been feeding every day and my 2 polyp Avatar zoa that has been closed for about a month has opened!! I now believe that I was starving them. Now that they have opened I'm going to start feeding every other day and go from there. I'm glad the issue was figured out before I lost them completely. I can see a change in my RPE too, they open quicker when the lights come on and are sprouting another head....hopefully the feeding will lead to an increase in growth from everything in the tank.

• 1 month later...

Little Picture Update, things are the same, just letting everyone do their thing..The zoas are doing a lot better since i started feeding, and my cloves/sympodium started spreading nicely, a little over double what they were last time I updated.

pico.jpg

pico2.jpg

pico3.jpg

just to help with the asterinas, they can take months / years just for one to divide into two. the ones you are seeing are hidden in the tank, as live rock hitchhikers, not multiplying. so when you finally pick off the last one, they won't be back unless you missed another. these guys are a funny optical illusion, it strongly appears they are reproducing but in reality they are just good hiders. keep picking if you want them gone eventually they will be.

Is that a ric? How does he like the PAR 30? My ric has shriveled ever since I got the same PAR 30 (4b/1w), although the discosomas seem fine. Mione is 22.5" above the sandbed. I Keep trying to find a spot fot the ric with enough but not total shade, but it's challenging.

Drift Monkey
Is that a ric? How does he like the PAR 30? My ric has shriveled ever since I got the same PAR 30 (4b/1w), although the discosomas seem fine. Mione is 22.5" above the sandbed. I Keep trying to find a spot fot the ric with enough but not total shade, but it's challenging.

You could probably stand to move it down some to get that ric some more light.

You could probably stand to move it down some to get that ric some more light.

Really??? The ric was fine. Then I got the PAR and he shrivelled, so I moved him down. He's better but still small, so you think it needs MORE light?

Sorry, I shouldn't highjack but I am curious to hear from DulcyDoll about her experience.

Archived