Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

DulcyDoll's Bedroom Pico

DulcyDoll

as long as there is life in that tank (ammonia -producing animals) then you should just wait it all out and let it fully cycle. .25 ammonia means that all you need is just a bit more bacteria to form in your rocks. just takes time, sometimes days,weeks or even months, do not get discouraged.

if there are no ammonia producing animals in your tank then that may be a problem long term because then once the .25 ammonia gets converted, the bacteria will starve and die, and the tank will again be unprepared for life.

What happened to your aunt and the goose is very unfortunate :( I hope you will feel better soon.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are tube worms and a couple asterina in there..

Ammonia changed from 0 on the 10th to .25 two days later and has stayed there.

that works as long as the animal life doesnt all die out on you.

thats not a big deal. it should return to 0 withn a week. once it does then wait for a few days an try a hermit crab or snail or w/e else you want in a CUC.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still getting above 0 readings, but decided to add a hermit to the tank..he has been in there over 24 hours and seems fine. I also added some chaeto to the tank.

Diatoms have came and went..

Nothing else to update..just..waiting

brandon429

you know if its taking this long and you'd like to move forward with the tank I can't see any scientific reason adding the bottle cyclers would hurt. Normally it doesn't take this long unless direct animal or feed/detritus decay is occurring in the tank but no problem for those bottles of nitrifying bacteria, Id put in a dose and see if that test parameter doesn't come down some

B

• 2 weeks later...

So.. I was still getting readings on all tests. I added another pound of LR from my 12gallon, waited a while..then I did a 1 gallon water change a week ago and finally did a 100% change today.

It's frustrating because I don't know what I am doing wrong. Levels had not changed for a good while, but the hermit crab and the small frag of zoa's I put in there are still alive and look fine. Test Kit was just bought last year and gives me normal results on my 24gallon and 12gallon.

Diatoms faded out a while ago, pods are thriving, chaeto is looking good..

The tank is now a little past 3 months old and has a crab and 7 little zoa's in it...not where I thought it would be for its age..

sounds like a faulty reading. i wouldn't be to worried about it as long as it doesn't raise. lets see some updated pics.

I think I'll bite the bullet and just start stocking it slowly. Throw in a few mushrooms and see how they do...

Anyway, you asked for pictures..Just took these..

Before I messed with the white balance:

DSCN40712.jpg

After:

DSCN40802.jpg

Crab:

DSCN40772.jpg

Closer on the rock scape:

DSCN40752.jpg

Your tank is looking good!

I forgot to say thanks for the sand, it's now doing its thing in my pico. :flower: I appreciate the help!

Your tank is looking good!

I forgot to say thanks for the sand, it's now doing its thing in my pico. :flower: I appreciate the help!

Thanks and No problem, It was just gonna sit around and do a whole lot of nothing anyway, Happy I could help!

that scape is amazing!. i love it.

Thanks!

The hermit crab keeps flipping my zoa's over, they are glued to a nass shell and I think he wants to move in.

It would be awesome, but the places that hermit goes..I'm sure the zoas would be torn to shreds in no time :/

Added a snail, 1 polyp of an unnamed pink paly and a small frag of anthelia. Superman mushroom/zoa rock will be added next..given the already added corals do well.

All is well with the pico, It's now stocked with:

Superman Mushrooms

RDE, Ring of fire, miami hurricanes, AOG, and 2 un-named zoa's

Anthelia

Pink Paly

I'll take a picture tomorrow, lights are off now.

Off topic..It's been a sad few days, lost $50 worth in fish from my 24g. My beloved Scooter Blenny died friday, and my fairy basslet died today..Clown is looking fine though, of course.

Mr. Microscope

Cool! Can't wait to see the new corals.

Sorry to hear about your fish though. That sure is sad. :flower:

lol.. I assume you are talking about the bits of bryopsis. It's minimal, I'm not too worried about it, such a small tank I'll be able to control it with manual removal, if it gets too bad I'll deal with it then.

thats how it all starts lol. "little bits I can control it :P"

the next thing you know you wake up to something that looks like my tank (you have to look close but you can see it slowly taking over)

I cannot stand bryopsis. It has killed my free SPS before (the frag it arrived on in the first place) and now I cant get rid of it even with magnesium >:D

Archived