DulcyDoll

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
meganistkrieg
Finally..pictures.

DSCN41262.jpg

Please oh please tell me where you bought this mushroom! :o

I love the scape you've set up here. Really inspiring. Stop putting ideas of picos in my head... :P

sweet pics. is that first one a shroom or a monti. i was thinking it was a monti but i've been wrong before.

It's a Superman Mushroom. I bought 4 not too long ago and now have 10! Got them from Moana kekoa on here. They are a beautiful shade of red with bright blue spots, the pictures kind of dull them down some.

The algae could be Caulerpa, I have some on a piece of LR in the 24, I siphon what I can when I do water changes, and it keeps it from taking over.

Thanks!

Added a small peppermint shrimp..my nephew named him Peppercorn.

Corals are doing great, RDE have another head growing.

My peppermint shrimp has been holding eggs since I got her..unlikely they will survive, but she is the only thing in the tank.

And I did a little fragging in the 24 last night. Hairy mushroom and red people eaters(maybe)

• 2 weeks later...

So..the peppermint shrimp had to be removed. He was picking on my Miami hurricanes, so he is being acclimated to the 24 as I type. He wasn't picking on anything else in the pico, and the 24 gets fed more so I hope he will be fine in there.

He was unbelievably easy to get out, piece of freeze dried krill held with tweezers and I lured him into a net, no trouble out of him.

ParanoidObseshun

I have superman mushrooms in my 5.5g too, really like the color and the fact that they like to walk and leave babies behind. Your tank looks nice! I like the rockwork and the placements you have your corals in.

• 4 weeks later...

First, I would have a new FTS, but my camera is at the cousins, just had a baby and needed to barrow it for pictures.

Anyway, there have been a few changes. I took the Anthelia out to give to a friend who just started a 30 gallon, The rock that had the different zoa's on it has been stripped of its zoa's. I glued them down to the rock on the right side of the tank to start my zoa garden. Added a large green hairy mushroom.

Since moving the zoa's off the small rock and onto the large, they have been losing some of their color, just fading out a little...They weren't moved closer to the light, maybe 1/4" lower..but nothing extreme..dunno, I'm keeping an eye on them.

I'm taking down my brothers 12 gallon (was brought here when his electric was turned off about 6 months ago, and hasn't done anything to care for it while its here..therefore..it is mine and I'll do what I want with it..He'll be upset but o-well) and needed a place for the blue damsel..so he is in the pico! I'm not sure how long I'll keep him in there, kinda wanted a goby for this tank, but didn't want him in the 24 as there is a lot more rock for him to hide behind when it comes time to get rid of him. Got stuck by a rather large bristle worm when I was trying to get him out...ouch...tons of little bristles in my finger..not fun.

Have a little hair algae growing, going to get some Chemi-pure for the filter soon. Tank isn't(wasn't) being fed and I'm using distilled for changes and top-off. The little bit of byprosis is gone :happy: , except for one frag plug.

FTS as soon as I get my camera back.

• 3 weeks later...

Still no camera, but I'm having some issues that I could use some advice on.

Since moving my zoa's onto permanent rocks, they have stopped opening. Literally one or two on each frag will open. My ring of fire polyp has been shrinking, it has gone down to half its original size. I'm worried I am going to lose them all.

Water Params are all normal, no changes. Would too low of light be causing it?

Mr. Microscope

How did you attach them to the rocks? Did you use superglue? Did any get on the polyps? I've lost a few from that, even when I was trying to be extra careful. Sometimes, they react badly to glue on the bottom too.

Also, check your flow. If they are in any direct flow, they will be bothered by that.

How strong is your lighting? How much higher did you move them than they were before? How long were they in their original position?

Finally, how long ago did you move them? Some zoas are easily angered. My Neon Greens and Tub's Blue hated to be moved. It would take them upwards of a week before all polyps were opening again.

How did you attach them to the rocks? Did you use superglue? Did any get on the polyps? I've lost a few from that, even when I was trying to be extra careful. Sometimes, they react badly to glue on the bottom too.

Also, check your flow. If they are in any direct flow, they will be bothered by that.

How strong is your lighting? How much higher did you move them than they were before? How long were they in their original position?

Finally, how long ago did you move them? Some zoas are easily angered. My Neon Greens and Tub's Blue hated to be moved. It would take them upwards of a week before all polyps were opening again.

I used superglue, but none touched the zoa's, I scraped off the previous superglue with them and used that to attach them to the rock. the flow from the AC50 hits about 1-1.5" in front of them, and the powerhead is pointed away from them.

I have 18watts of PC..They aren't moved any higher, the only one that was moved a little higher are my AOG's and they open fully every day.

Moved them around the 2nd or 3rd of this month.

Mr. Microscope

Hmm. Might be the AC. I don't think it's your lighting. Have you checked temp? Perhaps your heater went bad recently. Not sure what else it could be. I'd try posting in the coral forum.

I added some chemi-pure elite to the AC (have some algae growing) I'm going to make a post in the coral forums when I done this to see if anyone can help with the zoa issues.

New crappy FTS, still don't have my camera, but I borrowed one just to update.

crab016.jpg

And the new guys..

crab032.jpg

crab026.jpg

Red Scooter Blenny, and a Porcelain Crab.

Also, I'm in the process of making a hood for this thing. It will hang above it and hold 2 20watt Coralife Mini Compact 50/50, and one 10watt colormax mini compact. So it'll be about 50watts of light instead of the 18. Also looking at getting a strip of blue led's for night viewing.

What do you feed the red scooter blenny? I thought those guys only ate pods.

There are a ton of pods in the tank,but I am going to begin training him to eat frozen (mysis/brine/squid) in a couple days. The last one I had would eat anything I offered her.

Is chemi-pure elite supposed to help with algae? I have a filter just blowing bubbles so maybe I ca add some to my filter for algae?

Thanks,

Friar

Got a couple good shots tonight.. I love the crab..he stays in the front of the tank all day and night with his feeders out.

good005.jpg

good079.jpg

good081.jpg

good085.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well...I got the blenny eating frozen..but found him on the floor tonight..$30 beautiful fish..gone :(

macro318.jpg

I've also lost 2 of my zoa frags.

All zoa's have been furan dipped and put in the 24 gallon, along with all liverock and other stocking. Pico has been taken down until I can afford to better it.

Thanks for all of the compliments on it, I'll post when it is back up and running.

aww dang, it was going good too :(

sorry for your fish, though in an uncovered tank that kind of thing should be expected.

Yeah..It'll be back up eventually, I'm sad that I took it down, but I didn't have the money to upgrade lighting, and I'm going to be re-painting my bedroom in a month or two so it would have been a pain to set it up somewhere else and keep moving it. Maybe by the time I set it back up the frags will have grown out a good bit.

I thought when I put the porcelain in the 24 gallon I'd never see him again, but he hangs out in the front of this tank too..happy as can be feeding all day.

I had talked to a friend who works with glass and he is making me a lid for it, I was afraid he would jump..too little too late I guess.

I WILL set it back up..I love it..just not the right time.

Archived