ReefCleaners.org

DulcyDoll's Bedroom Pico

DulcyDoll

yes, i was wondering the same thing. i became very interested once you said that you trained the scooter to eat frozen in like a day lol.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are my favorite fish, so I will deff. be getting another one once the tank is up again, I pick the lid up tomorrow, so no chance of the next one jumping.

I started training on the 25th, and he started consuming on the 1st, a little more than a day lol. I was putting a few small pieces in 3 times a day, everyday and turning all flow off when I fed him(I siphoned out the food after about 15 minutes if he didn't eat it, didn't want those extra nutrients floating around). He was testing it by the 4th day, but would spit it back out..and was actually eating it in 9 days. I think that is why I love these fish, I spend so much time watching them waiting for them to eat frozen that I grow very fond of them very quickly. He tore the pod population up in a matter of days.

You should see about getting the algae under control before adding any more fish. More food equals more nutrients to feed the algae.

There really is no miracle solution to getting rid of the algae. Filter mediums can help, but the source of the algae has to be fixed and adding more fish and/or corals will only compound he problem and though will probably do no harm to the fish but can cause problems for corals if it invades their growing space.

Nice fish. Never see those locally.

• 1 month later...

K...so I couldn't stand it.

My bedroom pico is back up! yay. I built a hood for it that will hold 3 10watt coralife screw-ins. Bought 2 50/50 and one Colormax bulb, they are in the mail.

The picotope light will be the fuge light.

Running everything the same.

Pictures when the lights come in.

Won't be putting any critters in for a few months.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the lights..pictures aren't the greatest..I did a new scape, not too happy with it, I put a piece of dead rock in my 24 to use in the pico instead of the piece that no matter what will grow GHA.

I also ordered some new corals for it, blue cloves and a bunch of small zoa frags.

So...yeah, here it is..

get-attachmentaspx-2.jpg

tankwlight2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So..

I have a little spare cash this week and want a critter for the tank, since my porcelain crab disappeared in the 24...

So I need some suggestions on what to get. Fish, Shrimp or Crab and what type.

Wow...just read through your thread...you have been through a lot this year! I just moved from MD to NV, and just set up my 1G a few weeks ago. Check out my thread if you have some time.

How about some ricordias...add nice color and are very hardy!

How many pom-pom's could I put in a 3 gallon? Would 2 be ok?

Evanski, I might add one or two riccs, but for the most part I'm trying to let things grow in. I want a nice colorful zoa garden and can't wait for the blu cloves to start spreading.

Still open to other suggestions on critters to add!!

Made my trip to the LFS to get a couple pom-poms and they were sold out..just my luck. I then started looking at sexy shrimp, only to find out they are $15 a piece.

Picked out a nice orange ricc. and while I was glancing at a beautiful red goniopora colony..saw my new addition. He is a little green clown goby. He was plump, active, and not hiding at all. So I brought him home. He has not tried to hide since introduced to the tank, he likes to perch in my anthelia, which doesn't seem to mind the attention.

The riccordia was attached to the bottom of the tank so its in a dish with LR rubble to attach to. It was about an inch across at the store.

Pictures will come tomorrow

He is doing well. Loves the anthelia. He is usually out and about, hanging out on the rocks..He took a piece of mysis last night, and I'm sure he has been eating some of the pods in the tank.

I love him, been calling him Hatter (Alice in Wonderland fan lol)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update, Hatter is doing well, eating mostly pods, but does accept chopped frozen mysis and brine, still hangs out in the Anthelia most of the time, but explores on a regular basis. The ric is not being very cooperative. He refuses to attach to anything, rubble, sand, glass. and the past couple days has stayed deflated..any suggestions? he is in low flow, and on the sand bed. I gently blow his dish out every other day to keep it clean..dunno what the issue is.

Another quick ricc question, how do they do under LED's? I'm looking at getting myself the boostled lamp for x-mas and want to make sure he will do well with it..

Mr. Microscope

D'oh! That's an awesome fish. I hope he pulls through. Good luck with your ric. I'm not having the best luck getting mine to attach either.

Archived