Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

DulcyDoll's Bedroom Pico

DulcyDoll

The bottles usually come with a wire to hook it to the cage, this is a spare I had for my rats (they think water bottle plastic is yummy). It is just sitting there, I have 2 thumbtacks in the wall behind it to make it sit upright, and hold it in place, the lip where the metal tube connects to the plastic is on the edge of the tank to hold it on the edge.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So thats what API test kits look like during a cycle!

I've yet to experience any type of a cycle with my tanks, everything is always 0. Maybe mine are busted, but I've never had any problems haha.

My dads got a place down in MD, any good fish stores down there? I may venture down there this summer. I've been meaning to go to Mr. Corals place as well.

Looking good!

Mr. Microscope
you can never update too much. not updating is something i am bad about. micro can back me on that one. lol

LOL.

I try to post a new FTS about every 3 weeks. It's fun to flip through them and see the progress. I also like to update whenever I add some coral or something.

thanks for the write up and the pics of the ATO. i have to wait and see how bad the evaporation is on my tank but that will definitely be in my plans. this set up is going to be sweet and minimal it seems which makes it all the better imo.

Evaporation is crazy on my tank, the ATO needs re-filling at least once a day for me, I'll probably switch to a 1 gallon jug on the shelf above the tank in the near future..ATO is supposed to keep me from having to re-fill everyday. I'm deffinatly looking into a lid, most likely acrylic. See if Dad can't magician something up for me.

Mr. Microscope
Evaporation is crazy on my tank, the ATO needs re-filling at least once a day for me, I'll probably switch to a 1 gallon jug on the shelf above the tank in the near future..ATO is supposed to keep me from having to re-fill everyday. I'm deffinatly looking into a lid, most likely acrylic. See if Dad can't magician something up for me.

Dulcy,

Make sure that the plastic on the jug is absolutely solid. Use a glass jug if possible. If not, the pressure from the air will continue to squeeze the bottle and squeeze water into your tank until it can't squeeze anymore. I tried this with a few different containers for the same reason and failed because they were not hard enough. Luckily, I was able to stop the first one before I had a spillover. I tested the second one in a sink before using it with my tank. That one failed too. So, I'm back to the Petco. I only have to fill mine every two or three day. Mine holds one liter. What size is yours?

Thanks for the explanation on the gravity fed ATO. I was too embarrassed to ask what I knew was a simple question =/

Still thinking about making the plunge to join all of you...

Oneaquachick

I have a lid for mine that my dad made ffrom left over acrylic in his shop I have had no evap problems and I have had water in the tank for over a week!!!

Check it out on the thread I just started!

My bottle is only 16oz I'll try a bigger bottle before I go the gallon jug route.

Nice lid AquaChick. Thats what I am hoping for, it'll probably just cut right across even with the filter though, since I have the filter, light and ATO, it would be easier not to have to cut holes in the back for everything.

Filter is making noise, I think it may have a couple pieces of sand in the propeller slot, I'll have to take it apart and see.

Doing another test tonight...kinda wish this thing would cycle already -_-

Freakin, What are you waiting for? Jump on in, no tippy toeing around the edges!

________________________________________________________________________________

Test results are

NH3: 1.0ppm

NO3: 40ppm

NO4: 1.0ppm

get-attachmentaspx.jpg

Freakin, What are you waiting for? Jump on in, no tippy toeing around the edges!

my wife is delivering twins on Monday... not really sure how much time/money this hobby will realistically take up, even for a Pico. I'll have two other little softies to take care of in less than 5 days :D

my wife is delivering twins on Monday... not really sure how much time/money this hobby will realistically take up, even for a Pico. I'll have two other little softies to take care of in less than 5 days :D

Oh, good reason. Congrats!! Girls or boys..or one of each? I love babies :wub:

Oh, good reason. Congrats!! Girls or boys..or one of each? I love babies :wub:

One of each. Jackpot!

How many hours a day/week do you spend on your pico?

Awesome! one of each is always wonderful, always super cute.

So far, no time at all really. About 10 minutes a day, if that. Enough time to fill the ATO bottle, peek at it for a few minutes, and testing every other day until the cycle is done. After that, I don't think I'll spend more than a couple hours a week for water change, changing out filter floss/media, filling ATO bottle, tests, cleaning glass and staring into it waiting for something to grow lol.

One of each. Jackpot!

How many hours a day/week do you spend on your pico?

lol forgot which thread I was in and that your tank was still cycling

Tank is leaking :o

So far today, Light has shut itself off and will not turn back on, and now it is leaking! The back bottom seam..Starting to think the whole thing was a bad idea...

Moving everything to a bucket :tears:

I e-mailed the company about the light today, but now..I mean, what do I do..try to fix it on my own? e-mail them and tell'em its leaking and the light is faulty..

Mr. Microscope

Awe! Sorry to hear about your problems. That is really awful. You might be able to purchase aquarium sealant from your LFS to fix the leak. It's clear stuff just like what you see in the corners of the tank. That's really sad though. As for the light, perhaps you can get a refund. I'd just try to keep the water fresh in the bucket and keep the powerhead/pump/filter and heat going in there until you get a new light and the tank fixed. You may even be able to completely cure your rock in the mean time!

Don't give up! Remember you have a whole forum full of people for support here.

I have it in an 18qt clear tote, the AC50 fits on it and is running.

I guess I'll hit petsmart tomorrow and grab some aquarium sealant..

The light, I just want a replacement light, just something to hold the tank over until I come up with the money for the par38.

lol...today is such a bad day...

wow thats sucks :( at least you didn't have any fish or other stuff yet. What a nightmare if it happened with my tank :scarry: I hope your able to fix your tank soon!

You could pick up sealant at HD or lowes for cheaper, just make sure its 100% silicone, its the same thing as the LFS just cheaper. you could also pick up one of those clip on light fixtures for around 5$ and put in a CF bulb, works great for fuges too.

wow thats sucks :( at least you didn't have any fish or other stuff yet. What a nightmare if it happened with my tank :scarry: I hope your able to fix your tank soon!

You could pick up sealant at HD or lowes for cheaper, just make sure its 100% silicone, its the same thing as the LFS just cheaper. you could also pick up one of those clip on light fixtures for around 5$ and put in a CF bulb, works great for fuges too.

I know, that is the only good thing, at least it happened now instead of after it was stocked. I'll probably fix it tomorrow and run it with freshwater for a few days before putting my sand/rock/water back into it. That way, if it starts again, I don't have to rip everything back out.

Depending on what they intend to do about my light, I may wind up doing just that. I have a dual socket reptile fixture, I could line it with foil so it reflects better, and grab a couple CF bulbs for it. I'm hoping they will replace the light though...It'll just look better.

When I fix the leak, do I just re-silicone over the seam? or do I try to remove the old silicone first? Never had to fix a leak before, ever.

My paint on my dresser is destroyed, and where the water was hitting my wall is bubbled up.

On a better note, my corals for it will be here tomorrow :D

ThrivingNanoTang
I guess I'll hit petsmart tomorrow and grab some aquarium sealant..

Didn't you just buy this tank new? You should be covered by warranty on the tank AND the light. Don't waste your own money voiding the warranty with your own repairs. Call JBJ and see what they'll do for you. And please don't come back saying you have to pay your own shipping.

Didn't you just buy this tank new? You should be covered by warranty on the tank AND the light. Don't waste your own money voiding the warranty with your own repairs. Call JBJ and see what they'll do for you. And please don't come back saying you have to pay your own shipping.

I did just buy it. I re-siliconed it yesterday, waiting for it to cure. I contacted JBJ, they are going to replace the light, free of charge.

Will update when I get it back up and running.

my light did the same thing. only it was when i turned it off, i couldn't get it to turn back on - it was as if the socket was firing, but the bulb wouldn't light up completely (like trying to start a car). I switched the surge protector it was attached to and it began working again. Fortunately I have a wonderful PAR38, so the stock light is just a fuge light. I think i will contact JBJ as well.

Archived