SaltCritters.com

Vic's Vivarium Project

Withers

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Vic... Are you running any GFO? I know when its time to change mine when the film algae starts to show up on the glass... I change it, clean the glass and it goes away the next day... I make a custom mixture of GFO and ROX Carbon from BRS... Works better than Chemipure Elite...

I cant wait to get my Mame... I wont be filling my ADA till it gets here :happydance:

I'm running BRS GFO right now, but I wasn't until we moved the tank. I hadn't heard of adding carbon to the mix, I ought to do that as well.

Just medicated the tank for flatworms over the weekend. I killed most of them but I still see a few left. I guess I'll hit it again tonight to finish them off. I lost some pods, micro brittle sea stars and probably some snails, but no corals :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Home ownership is good, but the state of my bank account is bad :(

All in all the tank is doing about the same. Still battling algae, still battling flatworms, still battling aiptasia. I'm currently trying to figure out why all my shrimp have died. I'm guessing its an iodine deficiency.

I'm thinking about adding a protein skimmer. I've also been given permission to drill a hole through the wall in order to get the topoff container out of the way, so I may push for adding a sump too :)

• 1 month later...

So my new years resolution is to get this tank back on track. The wife is getting me a new light (Tek 4x24 watt T5), and I'm going to sell some car stuff that's laying around in my garage in order to fund a Deltec MCE300.

I recently picked up a second peppermint shrimp for aiptasia control since my first one is the laziest shrimp on earth (and won't come out into the light, odd) as well as a small long-spine sea urchin to help with the algae. Those things are amazing! He plows through the tank day and night has yet to knock over a coral. My other 2 still bulldoze everything in their path but the long-spined is way more maneuverable than I would have imagined.

Last night I ditched some of the live rock I had because I thought it was too crowded. I'll try to take pics tonight.

On the plus side, flatworms have been eradicated and my shrimp are no longer mysteriously dieing on me since we got rid of our six-line wrasse.

Later plans for the year include plumbing a refugium/sump through the wall and buying some more corals (first time in about a year lol). Unfortunately none of the ones I currently have have shown much growth at all, but at least none of them have died.

So my new years resolution is to get this tank back on track. The wife is getting me a new light (Tek 4x24 watt T5), and I'm going to sell some car stuff that's laying around in my garage in order to fund a Deltec MCE300.

Glad to hear that the plan is to whip this bad boy back into shape in the new year. Congrats on the new light (when you get it) and the plan to go with the MCE300. I've been extremely happy with mine. Takes a week or two to settle in but pulls some really nice skimmate.

as well as a small long-spine sea urchin to help with the algae.

Did you get the long-spine locally? How is it doing with the GHA?

Later plans for the year include plumbing a refugium/sump through the wall and buying some more corals (first time in about a year lol). Unfortunately none of the ones I currently have have shown much growth at all, but at least none of them have died.

I think we're right in the same boat.

-Adam

I got the same algae problem on my orca 450 tank but i cant figure it out what cause it or what type of algae is it. Grows on my sand aswell horrible green stuff. 3 days after WC and its back. Skimmer didnt help for me either.

I think you could buy a cannister filter on yours it wouldnt look so bad.

Did you get the long-spine locally? How is it doing with the GHA?

Yeah, I got him from www.seacrittersdepot.com

This guy mows through algae like I've never seen. Day and night, 24/7 and he plows through every type of algae imaginable. The only thing he hasn't touched so far is the bubble algae that my emerald crab completely ignores.

Yeah, I got him from www.seacrittersdepot.com

This guy mows through algae like I've never seen. Day and night, 24/7 and he plows through every type of algae imaginable. The only thing he hasn't touched so far is the bubble algae that my emerald crab completely ignores.

Thanks man. I may have to make a trip up to Sea Critters. I know last year he was carrying some really nice ORA frags.

Archived