Cultivated Reef

Vic's Vivarium Project

Withers

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info. I might have you pick your brain on this in the future. I sent your pictures to my wife and her response was..."Dear God that's awesome" :)

You're more than welcome to stop by some time to see it in person :) In the next couple of months I'll have a much larger tank set up in our loft that I'm hoping will be pretty spectacular.

I've got good contacts in the area if you're interested. You've got a decent breeder in Charleston, and I know a guy in Raleigh with loads of hard to find frogs and plants.

I can also build you a custom sized tank :)

just saw this, been thinking about doing one for a long time, this really makes me want to do it!

beutiful shots! and a great setup!

and hey to all you other SC folks ;)

Jason,

Awesome stuff. I need you to come and snap a few photos of my tank!

Keep the thread updated, this rocks!

-Dave

I'm down for that! I've been heading to Raleigh on a regular basis.

Thanks guys, I'm stoked to be back into frogs

More frog pics. They seem to be acclimating well :)

This is the same frog as the previous pics

5632591783_e2c87be9f4_b.jpg

And the smaller one

5632592699_65083f26e6_b.jpg

5633174690_fedb3d7c07_b.jpg

reefer_addict

Imitators? Very nice frogs. I actually just got into PDF and in 2 weeks I was out. They are cool as he'll and the plants r fun but they are to small! I had bl vents. Not interesting and I don't like having to care for frogs and breed there food. I got out pretty quick. Paid 150 for 3 and sold to my brother 2 weeks later. It actually got me back into reefs, we r still keeping the Viv just going with Pygmy chameleons.

iPod pics

9322a3bb.jpg

46649a31.jpg

Jason - You make me want to start one of these on my third shelf of my tank! Unreal!

Imagine my lighting over this? Clouds and storms with the misters..... dear lord!

-Dave

Imitators? Very nice frogs. I actually just got into PDF and in 2 weeks I was out. They are cool as he'll and the plants r fun but they are to small! I had bl vents. Not interesting and I don't like having to care for frogs and breed there food. I got out pretty quick. Paid 150 for 3 and sold to my brother 2 weeks later. It actually got me back into reefs, we r still keeping the Viv just going with Pygmy chameleons.

They're not for everyone I guess. It seems like most of the issues you're complaining about are things you should have easily found out with a bit of research.

This isn't my first go around with dart frogs and I definitely don't regret tearing down my reef to get back into them :)

Jason - You make me want to start one of these on my third shelf of my tank! Unreal!

Imagine my lighting over this? Clouds and storms with the misters..... dear lord!

-Dave

Oh I've been thinking about it... a lot :lol: If my T5 setup isn't enough light for my big tank you can bet I'll be calling you up!

I also know a guy who could hook you up with a kick ass custom sized tank haha

Damn you and your bada** frogs!! I love how the coloration bleeds from orange/black to a more iridescent blue/black on the legs. Absolutely stunning.

Just curious, how big are these? Are they considered juveniles and if so, do they just fatten up or do they get larger as they mature?

Really great photography as well Jason. Gotta love that macro lens.

-Adam

These will grow to be about the size of your thumbnail, right now they're about 50-75% of that size. Some of the larger frogs will grow to be about the size of a silver half dollar. I'm a big fan of the smaller frogs, but the larger ones have a lot going for them too.

• 3 weeks later...
Lee Van Reef

Sweet dart frogs! I've always wanted to set a viv for them, but I was told it was alot of work.

(I love cowboy bebop btw. Whenever I see your avatar, the theme starts playing my head lol :D )

it's my ringtone :happy:

saw your pictures on dendroboard, love the new vivarium

I down graded as well and am just in the process of getting a new vivarium together myself... so much easier

• 4 weeks later...

there are breeders all over the country. well, pretty much anybody that's in the hobby turns into a breeder at some point. I got mine from www.ranitomeya.com. www.understoryenterprises.com is another really good breeder. They're doing conservation work in Peru and the majority of the profit they make from captive breeding frogs gets put back into their work.

Cowboy Bebop is still the best show ever made IMO. I've seen every episode hundreds of times, as well as the movie. Just became a habit after I watched it all a few times over.. :P It's actually the only anime show I like.. the rest suck. Anime is weird.

Anyways, aren't those dart frogs poisonous? Like if it touches your skin you die instantly poisonous?

Archived