Cultivated Reef

Vic's Vivarium Project

Withers

Needreefunds
Well, it's gone. I can't say I'm sorry to see it go. :)

5503914495_0669dd5b6f_b.jpg

I had a feeling... -_-

Nice start to the viv, looks great there!

...wait, what forum am I logged into :huh:

:happy:

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always seem to flip flop between them and fish, I could never do both at the same time. I think I may have kicked the fish habit for good this time though.

I'm hoping there's a market for building these for people locally because I just spent a ####load of money on glass cutting supplies. I'd hate for it to be wasted on just one or 2 vivs.

• 3 weeks later...

I essentially just got tired of dealing with all it's ####, and I lost a huge order of corals and inverts for no apparent reason.

Frogs are just as fun for me. They're cheaper, easier to care for, and I get to build things with my hands. I started hand building enclosures, and it's a ton of fun. Here's where my little tank stands :) Frogs are coming in early April

5551814000_d12d8b0f43_b.jpg

It's way less daunting than you think. If you have any questions when you go to do it feel free to shoot me a PM

I I just spent a ####load of money on glass cutting supplies. I'd hate for it to be wasted on just one or 2 vivs.

Next time you need something like that let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I coulda saved you money. :)

Well I got a carbide cutting tool (with gravity fed oil) for about $30, and then a square (that sucks), a diamond sanding block and a couple types of pliers. All in all it was about $100, but I'm not worried. I've got a few people sincerely interested in having me build tanks for them :)

I do need to get a good sized square though, something that's like 36" long and not metal.

when can i move in?

can you try this plant for me? i'm too chicken.

http://www.rarexoticseeds.com/utricularia-...orts-seeds.html

Ooooh I've never seen that site :D

I actually don't have any frogs yet, but nah they won't spend much time in the water, they actually don't need a water area at all. It is mostly there to keep humidity up, but I designed it that way so I can drain it to help mimic a dry season and then flood it during the rainy season (they breed when it rains a lot, they don't when it's dry, theoretically).

That way I can hopefully discourage them from breeding long enough for them to reach their full growth potential. Frogs will start breeding around 6ish months out of the water, but once they start breeding all their energy goes into that and not into growing. Full grown frogs breed healthier tadpoles which produce hardier froglets once they morph out :)

Wow Jason. That turned out amazing. Hopefully I can make a trip up your way to see it in person once you get the frogs.

Definitely! I should have some frogs in the next couple of weeks. One I get them in I get to start saving for the BIG tank. It's going to be a 36x24x48 paludarium. B)

lakshwadeep
Definitely! I should have some frogs in the next couple of weeks. One I get them in I get to start saving for the BIG tank. It's going to be a 36x24x48 paludarium. B)

Make a SW paludarium!

Do you think that you will do the misting/fog again.

Definitely. I'm much too lazy to water the plants by hand. It'll be essential with a large tank.

Make a SW paludarium!

I thought about that, but I'm thinking frogs + saltwater would be a bad combination if any ever fell in.

• 3 weeks later...

Holy crap Jason!! That turned out amazing. The photograph of your dart is drop dead gorgeous.

Do you have a ballpark idea of how much you've dropped into this? I know you built pretty much everything yourself but just trying to compare costs of reefing vs something like this.

Please keep posting updates...this is really too cool.

At one point I had a budget, but I'm pretty sure I've blown it. I think I'm around $500 into this one including everything. It could have been done way cheaper though. I've got over $100 in plants in there.

Tank: $85 (materials only)

Plants: $100

Wood: $40

Background: $30

Frogs: $200

Substrate: $50

Misting system: Free (I've had it laying around for years). Normally that would be another $150 ish.

So total: $505

My budget was $250 (not including frogs).

Archived