Coral Vue Hydros

Vic's Vivarium Project

Withers

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's on bigger wheels now. I'm just waiting for the weather to cooperate before doing some new rolling shots of it

5307487651_5ea6404381_b.jpg

It's also about an inch lower in the front even from that picture. Probably 2" lower than the pic in my sig

They only think they want convertibles. In actuality they buy them and never put the top down so they don't mess their hair up.

I never put the top up B)

New pics!

5402671853_214a96d1b1_b.jpg

5402672797_6a1e6b457b_b.jpg

5403272650_3a77201006_b.jpg

5403273638_a74eecd792_b.jpg

I never noticed that these have yellow near the skirts before

5402675189_4ef364b651_b.jpg

annnnd I painted the back black

5402671071_d88de5bd71_b.jpg

and I've just found multiple asterina starfish munching on my zoanthids :angry: So I've now had flatworms, aiptasia, bubble algae, hydroids, a giant flatworm (that's still in the tank somewhere) and now asterina starfish. I don't want to jinx myself, but there isn't many more pests I could possibly accumulate in one tank.

your tank looks amazing. hopefully ull be able to get rid of the pests.

howd u paint the back black? what paint did u use? ive been wanting to do the same with my tank.

I ended up getting a sample of paint+primer in one from Home Depot to use. It took about 4 coats. Since the tank was already set up I covered the top in saran wrap and opened the windows to minimize fumes :)

I ended up getting a sample of paint+primer in one from Home Depot to use. It took about 4 coats. Since the tank was already set up I covered the top in saran wrap and opened the windows to minimize fumes :)

do you like it a lot better than without the black background?

New pics!

5402671853_214a96d1b1_b.jpg

5402672797_6a1e6b457b_b.jpg

5403272650_3a77201006_b.jpg

Gorgeous shots!

5403273638_a74eecd792_b.jpg

This has got to be my favorite macro shot of a zoa, and I've seen lots of nice zoa close-ups. Did you cook the colors or is it really that blue?

do you like it a lot better than without the black background?

Eh, in some ways. It hides the cords, so it looks cleaner than it did, but I preferred it without a painted background. It's noticeably darker looking now since the light doesn't reflect off the back anymore and taking pictures of it for a full tank shot is now ridiculously challenging.

This has got to be my favorite macro shot of a zoa, and I've seen lots of nice zoa close-ups. Did you cook the colors or is it really that blue?

No I don't cook the colors. It's just a white balance adjustment and maybe a hair of additional saturation. It was as close as I could get to making it look true to life.

Nice! Looking good Jason! Can we get a full on front shot?

Yeah I'll try to take one tonight.

Thanks guys :)

Deleted User 6

lol pests. get a bumblebee shrimp. i really want one of those.

this will be the first tank that just has dry rock and no LR from outside. i'm hoping that i will finally (finally finally) be free of pests myself. good luck - at least it looks good from far away. :)

lol pests. get a bumblebee shrimp. i really want one of those.

this will be the first tank that just has dry rock and no LR from outside. i'm hoping that i will finally (finally finally) be free of pests myself. good luck - at least it looks good from far away. :)

I'm looking at getting some now. I had 2 when I first set this tank up but they disappeared. I never did see them take prepared foods even though I've read that they should. I really want to try them again, it was fun watching them stalk my sea urchins :)

Eh, in some ways. It hides the cords, so it looks cleaner than it did, but I preferred it without a painted background. It's noticeably darker looking now since the light doesn't reflect off the back anymore and taking pictures of it for a full tank shot is now ridiculously challenging.

I do have to agree with you here. I really liked the look of the transparent background. I feel it gives more depth to an aquarium. Though there is definitely something to be said for hiding the cords, etc.

If this tank had a sump I would have definitely left it clear, but I want to get a HOB skimmer so it just wasn't going to work out like I wanted with a clear background.

Great new pictures!! It looks like things are well on their way to getting back to what I'm sure is your standard of reef-keeping. ;)

I'm partial to having some sort of background on a tank but I think the black looks fantastic. Really makes the scape and coral that you have stand out.

Hopefully the Asterina Stars will be your last bout of pests. During my first two years of reefing, I had vermitid snails (which I still have nightmares about) that covered every square centimeter of rock and Neomeris which looked pretty but completely covered my BC29. I've been 100% dry EcoRox and/or Marco rock from then on. You certainly lose most of the micro fauna using dry and it takes a while to cycle and populate but at least you know what you're adding.

Oh I've got those too, they just aren't in plague proportions. I didn't realize they ever multiplied like that? My old tanks were always so barren in the hitchhiker department I really wanted to get some this time. Now I know better :lol:

i hate transparent backgrounds. no one wants to see the wallpaper behind your tank in your momma's basement.

Depends on the orientation... If it's a penisula style then it looks dope, if it's up against a wall then yes if you have some hideous paint or wallpaper then you should probably paint the back... In his case I believe it was just a beige colored wall which actually looked pretty good with the light reflecting off of it. Of course if there is going to be a HOB then you definitely want to hide that.

This is the best I can do. Maybe if I tried it with just the Blue+ bulbs I could get better color out of it. Everything looks so washed out and the highlights are so harsh :(

5406418988_be4404ed8b_b.jpg

i hate transparent backgrounds. no one wants to see the wallpaper behind your tank in your momma's basement.

If the area behind the tank is uncluttered and not busy with patterns and colors, then I think having no background cover can look pretty good. I think it adds a sense of depth to the tank, extending the "space" of the water beyond the glass enclosure.

Archived