Cultivated Reef

Vic's Vivarium Project

Withers

Murrells Inlet is way better than Myrtle Beach. It's essentially low country, there's barely any tourism comparatively.

This looked way straighter in the viewfinder :mellow:

4743911219_828d563a5b_b.jpg

4743915841_e386989eb3_b.jpg

4743915483_948a079d5e_b.jpg

4743914609_37424a752e_b.jpg

4744551832_15899c6f89_b.jpg

4743913381_c09bf990f6_b.jpg

4743912869_493cbb02b4_b.jpg

I sure as hell wish these would grow :angry:

4743912149_a4c5edee39_b.jpg

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope the move goes well. The pics are stunning, as always.

Hope the move goes well. The pics are stunning, as always.

Tank looks great Jason. Can't wait until you move and really start stocking it up.

The upcoming house looks awesome. A dedicate theater room...that's what I'm talking about B)

• 1 month later...

The bulb is 6" off the surface. Some of the zoanthids still haven't acclimated fully to the light :huh: I'm at a loss, hopefully once I move and rearrange everything/mount all the corals they'll start to look better.

• 3 weeks later...

We're moving it next Saturday. It's also been overwhelmed by some kind of crazy brown hair algae/dinoflaggelate hybrid that I'm working on removing. I guess I shouldn't have stopped running the Phosban reactor :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll be happy once you're in the new house.

Any idea what caused the brown hair/dinoflaggelate bloom? Any reason why you stopped using the reactor or was it just a pain to keep the Phosban fresh. I know that's why I stopped using mine on my BC29 back a few years ago, but looking back now, when it was running it really kept things nice and clean. I ran mine with a mix of carbon and Rowaphos.

BTW, is that your BMW? I thought I remember you having a Stormtrooper Mini.

-Adam

Basically the tank was looking good and I thought the Phosban reactor was an eyesore, so I stopped running it. Then 2 months later, bam this stuff starts sprouting from nowhere. I haven't tested for phosphates (wouldn't matter if I did anyway), but I always test for nitrates and it never reads any. Plus my monti cap frag is looking great so water quality can't be but so bad. On top of that, I can't keep shrimp alive to save my life. I lost my 2 bumblebee shrimp, 4 sexy shrimp and a peppermint shrimp. I don't have a test kit for iodine but unless my salt is a bad batch (always a possibility, it is instant ocean) I should easily be keeping up with that requirement with my weekly water changes I think.

I ended up selling the MINI around April in order to get rid of a loan payment and picked up the BMW in my sig. Not that it's really saved me any money, I've spent at least $350/month in maintenance on it since I bought it. I keep thinking that it'll run right for a while after every repair, but nope. Last week was the master and slave cylinder on the clutch. The week before that was a faulty brake light sensor. 2 weeks before that was leaky brake lines. 2 weeks before that I replaced essentially the entire suspension (front strut assembly, front control arms, control arm bushings, hubs, rotors, rear springs and shocks). Now it's leaking power steering fluid. Basically it's your typical neglected 20 year old car. Anything rubber is rotten and anything that wasn't absolutely necessary to repair hasn't been. But as my wife constantly reminds me whenever I ##### about having to work on it in 100+ degree heat, I wanted a project car.

I shouldn't complain too much though, I love my car and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world (especially since I've put 3 times as much money into it for repairs as I did when I bought it) and we're finally moving into our new place next week :) Plus my classic Mini still runs like a champ so whenever the BMW takes a #### on me I can always fall back on her.

We did our final walkthrough this past Tuesday

4902823335_b7c758a75a_b.jpg

4903407204_49e3c4c134_b.jpg

4903406310_3263081771_b.jpg

VERY nice house man, congrats! And trust me, I know how it feels with the car situation. I'm trying to get rid of my 2007 GTI to get something a little cheaper / easier to work on, but it is hard for the wife and I to agree on anything.

Yeah, that was the other reason I decided to sell the MINI. My wife picked up a 2010 Cooper and her payment is a whopping $205/month. She got something like 1.5% APR for the term of the loan. Mine was like 7%! So needless to say, we sold mine when she picked hers up. It was a no-brainer. Plus I love older cars. The e30 is one of the best looking cars BMW ever designed in my eyes, so I was ecstatic to get one.

Thanks! We love that kitchen. It's where the majority of our upgrades went. I couldn't get the white balance right, but in reality the tiles have much less of a brown hue to them, they're pretty much straight gray. The walls are going to be a muted lime green :happy:

hey can you tell me what materials and how you made your lamp arm fixture. I'm want to set up my lights like that. thanx in advance

Archived