Pod Your Reef

Vic's Vivarium Project

Withers

Now there's a good solution for the heater.

Unfortunately the bulb was the last piece of equipment I'm allowed to buy till we move into our house in August so I've got a while to mull it over :lol:

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll love the Radium! I've used a number of bulbs including the Phoenix 14k and the Radium blows them all away.

Nemo Niblets

^^

On my 150w, the radium was my favorite. Although it still has a lot of par.

I don't understand why you bleached those zoas. I don't think it's the light, all of my zoas are getting at least twice the PAR and growing insanely well.

Yo dude.. how did you make that light setup? What material is that bar that holds up the light? Where can that be found and how did you bend it like that?

If you don't mind answering of course.. :happy:

schgr.cube

Jason, off topic, but I've been looking at your car pictures again. I don't remember if I asked you what kind of car you had or not...

When I get my car finished I'll have to have you come take pictures of both it AND the tank. I wish I still had this for you to take shots of...

2024.jpg

Yo dude.. how did you make that light setup? What material is that bar that holds up the light? Where can that be found and how did you bend it like that?

Vic's welcome to explain, or I'm just about to make one and can post a step by step w/ pics in my thread when I'm done. Prob wont be posted for a couple hours though. Link to my thread is in my sig.

I threw this how to together when people asked on my local forum. Let me know if you have any questions :)

http://www.carolinafishtalk.com/forum/diy-...ting-stand.html

Jason, off topic, but I've been looking at your car pictures again. I don't remember if I asked you what kind of car you had or not...

When I get my car finished I'll have to have you come take pictures of both it AND the tank. I wish I still had this for you to take shots of...

I'd forgotten that you had the Rabbit. I love those things :happy: What are you working on now?

I actually hadn't looked into it any farther but both of those look like they would work great!

Deleted User 6

damn vic, that porc crab is one of the coolest i've seen.

when do you want to trade some zoas for my flame algae :lol:

Soon hopefully! Everything is growing pretty quickly except the Valentine's Day Massacres, so I should be able to make a couple of frags before too long.

fewskillz

If you ever have a frag of the gorgonia, I'll be glad to take it off your hands. ;)

Travisurfer and I will have to come down and see the tank this summer. He should be about done with school so I assume he'll be coming home soon.

Deleted User 6
Soon hopefully! Everything is growing pretty quickly except the Valentine's Day Massacres, so I should be able to make a couple of frags before too long.

let me know. i'm going to start reserving my flame for trades, i think. unless i need the cash.

If you ever have a frag of the gorgonia, I'll be glad to take it off your hands. ;)

Travisurfer and I will have to come down and see the tank this summer. He should be about done with school so I assume he'll be coming home soon.

I'll let you know :) I've got one frag of it right now but I'm hanging on to it in case the big ones takes a turn for the worst. You guys are welcome to come down whenever you want!

let me know. i'm going to start reserving my flame for trades, i think. unless i need the cash.

Sweet!

New guy:

4590765852_9b2aacf5fb_o.jpg

This is under the Radium. I still haven't changed the white balance, but this bulb is definitely bluer. It's still white with just a hint of blue. Maybe I just haven't had metal halides in so long I've forgotten what 20k is supposed to look like. It's also a lot brighter.

fiction101
New guy:

4590765852_9b2aacf5fb_o.jpg

This is under the Radium. I still haven't changed the white balance, but this bulb is definitely bluer. It's still white with just a hint of blue. Maybe I just haven't had metal halides in so long I've forgotten what 20k is supposed to look like. It's also a lot brighter.

The 150w 20k ushio is the bluest bulb. I used it twice and loved the colors.

hows the color on the corals? you like them better?

Yeah everything looks great under it! I'm glad I got it, but it's still a far cry from what I thought I remembered 20k looking like :lol:

Yeah everything looks great under it! I'm glad I got it, but it's still a far cry from what I thought I remembered 20k looking like :lol:

i believe your fixture has an m80 ballast. i read from sanjay's tests that this makes the radium actually whiter. also thr 150w's 420nm peak isnt as strong as they were in the 250w and 400w mogul versions. you should look into the reefbrite led strips to add supplementation later on. i know that ull be able to do it in a modern way and itll look great

hey vic, do u use anything aside from the mp10 for circulation? or filtration?

It's just the mp10. I'm running it at about 60% on Lagoon mode, so I'm nowhere near using it to it's full potential. The only filtration I have other than live rock is a Phosban reactor, which may or may not stay on full time.

i believe your fixture has an m80 ballast. i read from sanjay's tests that this makes the radium actually whiter. also thr 150w's 420nm peak isnt as strong as they were in the 250w and 400w mogul versions. you should look into the reefbrite led strips to add supplementation later on. i know that ull be able to do it in a modern way and itll look great

That would certainly make sense. It's not a bad color at all, I was just hoping for a bit more blue. I'm looking into actinics but LEDs would be difficult to incorporate into this setup. There aren't any good places to mount them and it doesn't have a fan, so it would get awfully hot.

Archived