Coral Vue Hydros

Vic's Vivarium Project

Withers

Well you could ditch the phosban reactor (sell it) and use the canister as a media reactor.

I'm still left strugling to come up with a clean ato soution for my tank.

I should be able to fire up the 15k xm tonight, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on how your radium turns out as that would be my first choice if the 15k sucks.

short of rigging up a DIY ato float switch with clear acrylic (i think juliet might have done that), there isn't really a clean ATO solution. I struggled with this before I ended up just sumping my tank with clear overflow and a lily pipe return.

april-18-2010-fts.jpg

I think this solution was way cleaner than having any equipment in tank. *shrug* Maybe I'm deluding myself.

Radium 20k is indeed the best bulb ever, especially on the right ballasts, but I ended up switching back to the Phoenix 14k just for the growth.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt! I think I'm just going to put some monti digitatas and A. milleporas up there and hope that they eventually help hide it. I did spray my ATO black though, it blends in a lot better now.

So you would think after all the experience I have that I would have avoided such a noob mistake as this...

Last night I decided it was finally time to install the ATO I've had sitting in the tank for weeks. So I get it all plumbed up and plug it in and it starts to fill the tank. Everything is working great, or so I thought. It ends up filling it past the point where I thought it would so I just assume that maybe I haven't judged the height of the switch right or maybe there's a bubble in it, but eventually I realize that it's not stopping, so I remove it all from the tank and and test out the switch, it's not working, the pump won't turn off. Then I realize that it's because I had plugged the pump straight into the wall instead of using the relay on the switch. D'OH. So now the water level is way too high and the salinity is obviously way too low.

So what do I do? Like an idiot, I decide to pour a little salt directly into the tank, thinking that the vortech will dissolve it instantly. NOPE, it filters down and lands on my zoanthids and the Acan, which is now royally pissed off. I guess I'll see what the damage is today at lunch, but everything was still looking pretty pissed this morning.

nanoreef-R

I'm sorry but that made me smile! :P

How bad can it be? In the wild zoas and Acans get oil on them and sometimes they're fine!

I think the zoanthids will be fine, I'm not too sure about the Acan. It thought it was food.

I've had the same exact thing happen to me Jason. Always sucks no matter how long you've been in the hobby.

Hope that Acan looks better during lunch fingerscrossed

So the Acan looks a little better but all the zoanthids are still closed up. Oh well, lesson learned.

I imagine if the Acan is lookin' better, the zoanthids should pull through as well. They're usually pretty hardy bastards.

I just found this thread and really love the setup, very clean. I'm looking forward to seeing photo updates.

Haha. It happens to the best of us.

How much top off would you say you're doing? I swear I'm adding like a gallon of ro/di water per day and that's not even with the lights running as much as they will be.

• 1 month later...

I keep forgetting to update this, yeah all of the corals survived and are doing fine but they don't look nearly as nice as they did when I last photographed them. We're moving in mid-August so I'm trying not to buy too many new things until that point :)

We're moving in mid-August

Fun! :rolleyes:

I'm done with moving tanks for a long time. Glad everything survived the salinity mishap.

Yeah no kidding, at least this tank will fit in 5 buckets though :lol: I'll try to take some shots this evening.

From Myrtle Beach to Murrells Inlet, which is about 30 minutes south. We're moving from an apartment into our own house :D

From Myrtle Beach to Murrells Inlet, which is about 30 minutes south. We're moving from an apartment into our own house :D

Congrats! You're moving in the wrong direction though...

Archived