Cultivated Reef

Newman's Picotope

.Newman.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i feed the whole tank once a week with three foods. i feed it all in one day. First is frozen cyclop eeze, then Phytoplan powder, and lastly, Zooplan Powder. I just throw the stuff into the water and my filter flow disperses the food. whether the zoas eat anything, i do not know. zoas do not show an obvious feeding response like most palys do, so it is hard to tell what they eat.

I also dose a few drops of Seachem Reef+ each week.

Ah, look at those zoas! Seeing yours made me want more of mine & of course you know where that's gotten me. If my zoas end up half as nice as yours, I'm a happy camper! :D

Happy New Year!

PS: very happy that the clam is ok.

L

Newman that sandbed doesnt show much caking at all, looks very clean how are you keeping detritus out of it so well? are you still blending the feed/water changes? something looks very nice there man

B

It's really good to hear that your clam is doing well. It would have been horrible if both our derasa's took a turn for the worse. The tank looks awesome since you scraped the algae as well.

Newman that sandbed doesnt show much caking at all, looks very clean how are you keeping detritus out of it so well? are you still blending the feed/water changes? something looks very nice there man

B

Hello,

It used to do that on the sides of the tank, not the front. the sides have a much thicker layer of sand. however its fine now, the sand got better. I am not really doing anything to keep detritis out of the sand. evidence of detritis can be seen whenever i move or lift a big rock in the tank. gray-green dust wafts into the water column when that happens, and i make sure to add a little Prime to try to help. idk if it helps at all, but i my hopes lie in that Prime may be able to detoxify ammonia that is being released by any loose garbage.

Yes i still feed heavily once per week and then do a 2 gal water change the day after that (doing one today since i fed last night), I also spot feed some of the animals throughout the week.

It's really good to hear that your clam is doing well. It would have been horrible if both our derasa's took a turn for the worse. The tank looks awesome since you scraped the algae as well.

It's terrible that you derasa did that randomly. it makes me wonder if mine will do tha same thing :(

and thanks!

link to video has been fixed! thanks for letting me know :)

bad news

I can only find one Astrea Snail now, and only one Green porcelain... >_<

So that means i have only these left:

1 astrea snail

cerith snails

1 emerald crab

1 anemone porcelain crab

1 green porcelain crab

I'm keeping it this way unless i lose my last green porcelain...then I'll try a young blood fire shrimp until he grows up. then i might sell him and buy a yellow coral banded shrimp. i am still unsure about how either shrimp will behave with my clam. though my emerald crab seems to be doing no harm, so i have hope that they all work out.

I forgot to mention that my emerald crab has done a terrific job on all the algae growing on my K-nano and has cleaned off most of it. now the GSP has a smooth clean area to grow into. The crab also kindly cleaned the one side of my derasa shell that had some algae on it as well.

yes they just dissapear. i'm guessing the snail died in some gap in the rocks and the shell is blended in with the rock by now. i couldnt spot it anywhere...

the crabs i think just die of unknown reasons and the worms/emerald crab pick them apart until nothing is left :(

I really need to find a good pico invertebrate. the white anemone porcelain looks like a perfect choice. he has molted a few times now without issues. last molt was yesterday. it looks like they are more suited to reef than green porcelains are.

I'll keep you posted on how my Caribbean Porcelains do. They are super cool!! A lot less reclusive than the green ones. I see them all the time in my 8g.

L

your green ones like to hide in crevices and filter water from safety right?

i think the white anemone porcelains feel secure around coral, enough to stay out in the open like mine does.

i took a couple of actinic pics. nothing too great, but ill post them up soon.

HOLY BATMAN NEWMAN! What a stunning little tank you have. I totally enjoy visiting your thread, you have so much patience and your knowledge about every aspect of your tank amazes me no end. On top of that you are so helpful and answer all inane questions. I just wanted to say this is easily one of my favorite tanks on Nano Reef. Well done as always.

Also, I think the anemone porcelain should be named Spot.

Because you can always spot him. :lol:

Wow what a contrast (literally).

Normal pic - nice pastely washy yellowy greeny colours.

DSCN3954.jpg

Actinic pic - KAPOW! green, ZLONK! red/orange, BAP! blue.

DSCN3970.jpg

Love it.

Again, I'm always happy when I see this tank. Sorry the other members who also have fines picos, but this one is my favorite. :D

Colors are sooooo purty...

L

Archived