Coral Vue Hydros

Newman's Picotope

.Newman.

metrokat, you want one pocillopora (whichever doesnt get picked) and one green birdsnest (whichever doesnt get picked), right?

yes. And I want to pick it up in person and oggle at the tank if you are open to visitors? Helen and Vicki might want to come too.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes. And I want to pick it up in person and oggle at the tank if you are open to visitors? Helen and Vicki might want to come too.

Lucky. :(

I wish I would have know that all I needed to do back in the day was set up a little reef tank and girls would invite themselves to my house :P

Awwww...

:P

sure you girls can stop by, but I would have to figure out when is best for all of us. If you want to pick up the coral in person, then that's better since i might even go lower on the pricing than originally intended. I'll let you know via PM, metrokat.

lljdma06, and ccapasso, I will PM you about the pricing. Thanks for the interest in the frags people, I'll re-post what is left after these orders are figured out. right now it looks like the bigger monti isn't claimed yet.

today i realized that i'm missing my final green porcelain :( Its about that time when he was supposed to molt, and i think he didnt handle it well.. no where to be found as of today.

In the near future i may be getting a blood fire shrimp for this pico.

today i realized that i'm missing my final green porcelain :( Its about that time when he was supposed to molt, and i think he didnt handle it well.. no where to be found as of today.

In the near future i may be getting a blood fire shrimp for this pico.

Awwww. :(

Yeah, my white porcelain just had a huge accident when molting. He got caught in the uptake tube of my refugium and lost a bunch of legs, his big claw, and one feeder arm while trying to escape during a molt. He is a bit creepy looking now, but still alive.

Try the Caribbean ones. They have proven to be very more robust and the orange and blue is extremely attractive. That being said, I love my fire shrimp, but he only comes out during feeding, so you might be disappointed. My green porcelains from John are still alive, but I see a hitch hiker Caribbean a lot more in my 36g tank.

L

Dingbat is neurotic but he's hardy for sure. Except Newman, I think you like gentle species, Dingbat is certainly not gentle! And he is a thief too, he has stolen some corals, fluffed up my mushrooms, snapped at the Nass snails and routinely goes about flaying his arms like a goal keeper. Dingbat.

haha, you are right, my tank could use peaceful species. especially things that will not bother my crabs and my clam. which is why i hope that my blood fire shrimp will behave like my peppermint shrimp (that i had here in the past). I am thinking about buying the blood fire shrimp tomorrow...we'll see how things work out. the suckers are expensive >_<

normally i wouldn't care about price- i would have little issue dropping the $30-$40 for the shrimp, but i am currently trying my hardest to save for moving out, so my money is under tension lol.

I am thinking about building some sort of hood for the tank to hide the equipment... something like what friar did with his finnex.

Though I'll probably only have access to thin sheets of wood (i found some in my garage) and simple spray paint - meaning the hood probably will not turn out the way i want. But it's worth a try.

I made a "prototype" hood out of cardboard to see how it would look on the tank. it did hide the equipment well but it also showed major flaws in the way i measured the dimensions lol. I'll have a tough time figuring out how to make this hood/canopy look halfway decent...

I made some adjustments to dimensions after the first try with the cardboard. I am making this hood in such a way that the tank is best viewed at eye level. The way it sits on a short stand now, complicates things because the hood is going to be blocking the view to some of the upper corals like the birdsnest. This is because the tank is currently low and the viewer (me) has to look down from above at an angle.

Eventually I will place the tank at eye level somehow, and everything will work out.

My next step is to try sawing the pieces out of the wood sheets, and trying to make them look angular instead of the usual 4-year old cutting that i normally do- which results in uneven edges. I'm guessing sanding might help too.

If you could make it out of fiberglass it would look great. Taking the card board template, sturdy it up with duct tape and then cover with fiberglass. Probably wouldn't take much and most car parts stores carry the supplies.

Want me to bring some asterinas back to you newman?

Would love to buy a rainbow pocillopora and a grape monti if you have any leftover. If not, lmk next time you frag.

-helen

@straydog - sounds interesting. do you mean fiberglass cloth that i can glue to the cardboard template via resin? then how will i proceed to attach the fiberglass-reinforced pieces together to form the canopy? with superglue?

@thl - no thank you, haha, i do still have a few, but I'll likely give them to someone once the hood gets built. The asterina container sits on top of my tank's HOB filter and is lit by the tank's light. this container can't fit under the hood/canopy, so i'll have to take it down (there's not much in there anyway). My plan was to setup another small reef tank for the asterinas, but i simply do not have the time or funds to do something like that since I want to save money for my move. the asterina pico will have to be put on a future project list.

The pocilloporas sold, but i'll make more in a few months - when the colony starts to touch the glass again. I do have one frag of the grape monti, however you might not like it due to the coloration. You can see a pic of it on the previous pages with all my frags. its the larger one, but since it was under my PC fuge light, it turned a more orange-brown color than the monti frag that lljdma06 is getting. same coral, but just grown under different conditions. i planned on giving it to someone for free with their order, but if you want it, i can give it to you for cheap if you stop by my house with metrokat (she will be picking up her frags too).

The fiberglass resin acts as a glue which the fiberglass cloth type peaces are soaked in then placed onto the card board skeleton to make the shape you want. By laying peaces of the soaked fiberglass resin cloth on top of each other it builds up a thickness to create a hardened canopy in this case.

hmmm, i might try that way if i find hat i can't make a decent one out of the wood i have. thank you for this great idea!

you are getting that frag. i have to fix the names.

Ok, cause I was scared a minute there. :(

Hehehe :D

I'm so excited, I got a secret and I can't say yet, but I'm sooooooo excited.

:haha:omgomgomg:happydance:omgomgomg

Did you get the fire shrimp? I wanted one, too, but worried they were too big for the picotope. Do you think there's enough room to keep them happy?

Archived