Cultivated Reef

Newman's Picotope

.Newman.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you could probably try a crocea in your 8 gallon if your lighting is good and if the tank is established for many months.

How does a 70w Metal Halide measure up? That's the lighting in the 8g. Goodness, no, I wouldn't dream of having one now. :lol:

in an 8 gallon, 70W is great for a crocea.

Yeah, a friend from here sent the light to me & I love it. It's almost insulting that I only keep zoanthids & Yumas in it, but my nps tank is hard to keep, so my 8g morphed into a no-brainer softy tank that just has Purty colors. Eventually I'll get off my lazy butt & keep harder things. :lol: A clam would be nice in the tank's way distant future. They definitely fulfill my "must have Purty colors" requirement.

Newman if you ever have any more fw cherry shrimp for sale Id like to buy some. would they ship to Texas well

cherry shrimp? sure i may have some in the future. and yes they would ship fine to TX. I should have some extra shrimp by spring...why, are you thinking about setting up a bowl for them ? :P

Yes Newman, love the tank still going strong. hope your move goes ok!

@brandon, do you think the peroxide treatment would work on bubble algae?

Brian

I do think it will Friar there are a couple posters who wrote about it working in the thread but they didn't post pics. its also written on a big peroxide forum on reef2reef

Newman they were to go in my large planted globe that crusty old man is approaching 10 yrs old it needs some motile color in it. there are japonicum but they aren't colored as nicely, kind of transparent the system has low light areas mostly, thanks! send me pm when ready I w paypal for 4 or 5 of them

thats all you need? ok that shouldn't be a problem, but it might still take a few months...

you mean you still have that large globe paludarium thing?

oh yea its the longest running tank ive ever owned. it is abused beyond belief and still stays alive. its not plugged in to anything, merely a 20k MH 150w shines above and provides some heat during the day in the winter but mainly its a self recycling biome with a population of heavily interbred wild type guppies and some japonicum, that makes me remember to ask you how sensitive are the cherries to temps at 65 ish in the winter?

yes i started with planted tanks first. then jumped to this picotope :)

Is it just me, or did it help having a planted background? I also did planted picos, so I was used to the demands of a smaller tank.

L

PS: found my green porcelains or Caribbean porcelains (I don't remember what John gave me). Haha, added them to my biotope a month ago & never saw them again until yesterday.

yes it definitely helps imo.

also good that they were alive :)

I need to do a head count on my crabs in this picotope...tomorrow since i feed the whole tank and they should be out in plain view when that happens.

I almost ordered a couple of the tiny porcelains from reef cleaners with my food that I just got but it is way too cold here right now, I didn't want to risk it. How small are they?

those porcelains are the green ones i have in this pico. reefcleaners will either send you green porcelains or Caribbean porcelains. both grow to standard porcelain size. my white anemone porcelains is actually smaller right now.

the biggest green porcelain i had was more than 2 inches. the carapace is about the size of a dime, maybes slightly bigger, but the claws are huge.

those porcelains are the green ones i have in this pico. reefcleaners will either send you green porcelains or Caribbean porcelains. both grow to standard porcelain size. my white anemone porcelains is actually smaller right now.

the biggest green porcelain i had was more than 2 inches. the carapace is about the size of a dime, maybes slightly bigger, but the claws are huge.

Guess what? Guess what? Guess what? I found porcelains that I thought had died. OMG! So I got both kinds, I think. The greens are in the 36g, and I think I got the Caribbeans in the 8g. It's weird when you find stuff in your tank like a month later. Same thing happened with my greens in the 36g. You add them, then life happens and gets very crazy and you forget.

How did your head count go? I'm curious.

Happy Holidays! :D

L

Thats really good to know. I hate when stuff goes missing. That is what happened with my hi fin goby and pistol shrimp. One day they are out as usual and then they are just gone. I never really found out what happened to my hi fin.

Happy holidays and hopefully you get some cool stuff for christmas. Im counting on some tank equipment.

Archived