Pod Your Reef

Newman's Picotope

.Newman.

I just noticed this, could you get a nano mag to clean the algae above the zoas up front? That way its much clearer.

If you already got this covered, call me stupid.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

even my nano mag cant get through that algae down there. its a tough one :P

I'll get to it sooner or later - i haven't really cleaned the glass inside or outside in a long time so it looks lame, but i will someday soon.

In order to get that tough algae off, i'm going to have to make myself some DIY thing involving a razor blade. i think that's the only thing that can help me at this point haha.

Newman, so I moved the porcelain anemone crab away from the poor duncan to the ledge with the bed of GSP which has blastos, green polyps and mushrooms on it. He slowly but surely found his way back to the duncan. :huh:

ok, then he likes that spot best. is he irritating the duncans or something? when i had my porcelain hosting my GSP in the 10 gal nano, the GSP took a little while to get used to him but it was fine after a out a week. same with my zoas in this pico. they dont mind him at all anymore and open fine.

the razor blade is making a big difference on this tank's glass. if i can, I'll update with an FTS to show what i mean. however since i put the razor blade and my hand in the tank, my derasa clam closed up- something it has never done before.

the thing is that i just did about a 2 gal water change an hour before i cleaned off the glass...let me go see if the clam has opened back up. it normally stays half ajar when the lights are off for the night (its night time here)

its looking slightly better as i can see some mantle extension and the exhalant siphon outside of the shell, but its still a bit more closed than usual...hopefully it will pass. I'll just have to keep my hands out of the tank lol - i bet it was something on my hands that got into the water. A while ago I put in two drops of Prime to somehow help.

This was the first time I put my hand into the tank in a very long time - I was just so excited by the results of the razor blade lol, that i had to scrape all the spots that required manual control. my forceps can only do so much...

You could make a scraper by slitting the end of a pics of PVC so it will hold the razor and glue the two together. Should help to give the reach you want without putting your hands in the tank next time.

i'll probably do that, straydog, thanks!

no i dont wear gloves, as mostly i just use my forceps for everything in my tank.

clam looks ok so far. I'll update tomorrow with an FTS and we'll see if it opens normally under the display lights.

Builder Anthony

Clam probally closed because of your disturbance to the water.It should open during scrapings once it gets used to you working in the tank.Scraping your walls throws alot of food into the water for them.

Archived