Coral Vue Hydros

Newman's Picotope

.Newman.

I still think your tank deserves TOM. :) BTW, the frags I do from you are doing well, especially the GSP. Thanks again.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lighting is listed in the first post under equipment. its a DIY involving 6 Cree LEDs

Cool! I am in the process of modifying a par 38 that has 7 Crees. Is that a bumble bee shrimp in your avatar? I am planning on getting one for my pico.

yes that is my bumblebee shrimp in my profile pic. that is, i used to have them. they are no longer in my picotope. if you need info on caring for them, PM me.

yes Squared, many FW plants can handle extremely low salinity like that. among them are anubias, vals, crypts, java moss, java ferns, and most hardy low light plants.

the porcelain crab moved onto the blasto and is not letting it go. i guess these crabs like LPS. he isn't mauling the coral or anything. he prefers to sleep on it, and in the day time he will move to the edge of the polyps when they are open, and will sit there. he is in plain sight in the day time right now, i hope he stays like that.

the shrimp is hiding in the back lol. everybody warned me about this and it was expected. i guess the way to get him out is to put a shrimp pellet into the water.

here is what happened with them(i put in 3 of them):

1st one was killed by the HOB impeller (he somehow went into the intake tube)

2nd one was damaged by the biggest/dominant shrimp, and was later killed.

last one got moved out of the tank because he was trying to eat the clam. he lived in a 1 gallon cubus tank for a few months until i went on vacation, and returned to a vanished shrimp :(

So in summation, the shrimp need some special care. not to the extent of the Harlequins, but the bumblebees do need a nice tank setup to suit their needs, and good regular feeding.

lol yes it is much bigger than the tank. it needs to cover the HOB fuge and needs to be tall enough to cover the raised light fixture and most importantly the chiller in the summer time. i made it high enough to cover everything.

yes that is my bumblebee shrimp in my profile pic. that is, i used to have them. they are no longer in my picotope. if you need info on caring for them, PM me.

yes Squared, many FW plants can handle extremely low salinity like that. among them are anubias, vals, crypts, java moss, java ferns, and most hardy low light plants.

Cool. Can they grow well and fast in 1.005 water?

Newman, I feel like I 'know' you well enough to give you an honest opinion, just as I do when your tank amazes me.

I don't like the canopy at all. Too big and bulky. I would prefer the open look, even if some of your equipment might be a bit ugly ...

I think the canopy turned out great. In the past few post not one person said a word about your tank being low on water so it fixed the water level. Did you paint the inside of it white so it can reflect more light into the tank.

Squared, the plants need a slow acclimation to the saltier water, so raise the salt slowly over the course of a few months. they will grow fine if you do this.

Castiel, I know the canopy looks odd right now because the tank itself is not eye level, and the tank is not near any other structures - its out on a table on its own. The ultimate goal is to first put this tank on a much taller stand so that it can be eye level, and then put it in such a place where the canopy and the surrounding furniture blend. this way the tank is the focus. the canopy is simply just there so that there is no light spill at night, or at all, and that all the equipment is out of sight. I personally like what the canopy has done.

straydog, thank you. i am glad you noticed that i made this hood in such a way that it blocks view to the water line. Now its not easy to tell that my water line is a bit low. i did raise the water line a little because i finally adjusted the float switch, but it barely made any difference so i thought the hood could help me out more with it. painting the inside white is interesting. I'm just a bit worried about the paint getting wet from evap and melting off into the tank and poisoning things... i might do it, but for now the wood inside the hood is very light colored - its not dark brown, so it does help reflect light. thanks for making me aware of this issue!

Crab happened to molt a few seconds before i took this pic. might as well take a pic right after he's clean again lol (old carapace was getting brown with algae)

RSCN4017.jpg

Doesn't he look all clean & spiffy now that he's had his shed!

I love mine. All three types are excellent crabs to keep. Yes, even the type that "Dingbat" is.

L

porcelains are great pico animals. so far i especially like the anemone porcelains. greens didnt work out in a reef setting, but Caribbean might be good too since they are from tropical water.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I am going to sell my acan mini colony...I like it but i do not think i have enough room for it in this pico right now. it would be happier in someone else's tank. Can someone help me determine a fair price for it?

The coral is a mini colony with about 14+heads. colors are mostly orange with light blue and maybe some purple. I'll post a pic when can. I was thinking of selling it for $50.00 since its not bleached or unhealthy at all. i love feeding it mysis every week :)

I think I am going to sell my acan mini colony...I like it but i do not think i have enough room for it in this pico right now. it would be happier in someone else's tank. Can someone help me determine a fair price for it?

The coral is a mini colony with about 14+heads. colors are mostly orange with light blue and maybe some purple. I'll post a pic when can. I was thinking of selling it for $50.00 since its not bleached or unhealthy at all. i love feeding it mysis every week :)

PM me. :)

Archived