ReefCleaners.org

Violinist's 20 Long - 3 Years!

violinist

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say what?

LOVE that fish. Have never seen one like that.

Haha, just journaling what I test and dose.

It is a really cool fish. Took it a few days to stop being new-guy-shy and work out some sort of arrangement with the blenny. Now he's out and about and looking good.

420/10 +7.5b

Hmm, what's going on other than boring testing and dosing with this box...

My peppermint shrimp is long gone. Never found his corpse or the corpse of the ill-fated damsel I added before switching up the inhabitants. I guess the tank takes care of its own corpses lol.

My frogspawn is stinging the #### out of the side of my green birdsnest. If I didn't know better, I would swear it sensed the other coral nearby and started feeling around for it. Closer and closer with the tentacles then after the first zap it always has its tentacles over there. I'll have to move the birdsnest somewhere since the FS is so darn big it really needs to stay where it's at.

The birdsnest and the digitata are growing nicely. Some of the zoas have really taken off, not so much in popping new polyps but increasing in size.

The torch has blasted a few polyps on the side of the zoas next to it. It's getting huge as well.

Oh and the kenya tree is back in full force since the xenia was removed. It's also grown a lot and is also stinging the zoas nearby.

Guess there's still some murder left in the murderbox lol.

Whatever, I need a bigger tank!

420/10 +7.5b

Ok, looks like I can just dose 7.5ml of ReefCode B daily to keep the alk at 11. Calcium doesn't seem to take enough of a hit to screw around with it between WC's. I'll dose my WC up to where I want it before adding it.

Yay!

Hmm, what's going on other than boring testing and dosing with this box...

My peppermint shrimp is long gone. Never found his corpse or the corpse of the ill-fated damsel I added before switching up the inhabitants. I guess the tank takes care of its own corpses lol.

My frogspawn is stinging the #### out of the side of my green birdsnest. If I didn't know better, I would swear it sensed the other coral nearby and started feeling around for it. Closer and closer with the tentacles then after the first zap it always has its tentacles over there. I'll have to move the birdsnest somewhere since the FS is so darn big it really needs to stay where it's at.

The birdsnest and the digitata are growing nicely. Some of the zoas have really taken off, not so much in popping new polyps but increasing in size.

The torch has blasted a few polyps on the side of the zoas next to it. It's getting huge as well.

Oh and the kenya tree is back in full force since the xenia was removed. It's also grown a lot and is also stinging the zoas nearby.

Guess there's still some murder left in the murderbox lol.

Whatever, I need a bigger tank!

This reminds me of a sci-fi short story i'd read a while back...

I keep waiting for the birdsnest to break out some sort of secret SPS weapon and nuke the frogspawn but so far it seems to be quite the wimp... I should really move it, but I hate reaching inside the tank anymore. Plus - lazy.

dirtwheelsfl
420/10 +7.5b

Ok, looks like I can just dose 7.5ml of ReefCode B daily to keep the alk at 11. Calcium doesn't seem to take enough of a hit to screw around with it between WC's. I'll dose my WC up to where I want it before adding it.

Yay!

correct me if im wrong, but with a 2part arent you supposed to add equal amounts? i just started dosing my tank about the same time you did, ive sorta been following yours.. mines like this too kind of, i can keep the ca up but the alk is what gets me. sick of all the testing! almost got it down tho i think...

ya green birdsnest is kind of ##### i think, i had an aiptasia kill a part of mine a while back, id move it...

You don't need to add equal parts. What brand are you dosing? The brightwell bottles say on the back (which confirms what I read) that adding different amounts of a and b is common.

Your new tank is absolutely sick btw!

You have loads more sps than me - how much are you having to dose every day?

dirtwheelsfl

esv b-ionic... their bottles say add equal parts, but dont say you cant add them seperate. they come in a kit with the same sized bottles so thats what i came up with haha.

Unbelievable. Third time was not the charm - dead 6 line.

Why WHY!?!????? It's the same story here. The LFS says that half or more of every bunch of 6 lines they get die. Hope the misses copes well with loss.

Why WHY!?!????? It's the same story here. The LFS says that half or more of every bunch of 6 lines they get die. Hope the misses copes well with loss.

No idea man, and I'm not going to buy another one. Only thing I ever found about it was this from reefsanctuary

In my experience, sixline wrasses don't always acclimate very well--especially late in the day. I'm not exactly sure why, but I've suspected it has to do with the mucous "cocoons" they make when they're stressed--like cleaner wrasses often do during shipping and transit. It seems that once they make it past the 7-14 day mark, they're fine; it's just the first few days sometimes that are the roughest on them. If you were to try another one, I would suggest obtaining it from a different source than the others (in case it was a bad batch as mentioned--not necessarily the store's fault) and getting it early in the day, acclimating it slowly with all lights off, and if possible leaving the lights on the aquarium off for the first 24-48 hours. I don't know what other fish are in your aquarium, but I'd keep an eye out for anyone who might be pestering or harassing them once they've been added. Oh, and although a relatively unsubstantiated hunch, wrasses in general seem to suffer rather quickly from low oxygen levels in the water. I once had a return pump quit on a 65 gallon thus drastically reducing the oxygen in the water; the sixline, eightline and coris wrasses were the first (and fortunately the only ones) to die before the problem was fixed. Also, I managed a huge fish department at a store for three years and if any of the wrasses showed up in small bags or bags without a significant amount of air in them they'd usually be dead--often times with varying amounts of a mucous cocoon around them or in the bag with them.
No idea man, and I'm not going to buy another one. Only thing I ever found about it was this from reefsanctuary

So sorry to hear, I'd read that they really don't ship well. I got mine from a not so localish fish store and had to take a detour too, so the dive was pushing 45 min. but he got home fine and has been doing well for the past month or so. I guess I got terribly lucky, and I really love my sixline.

Have to say sorry again! Hate it when you lose a fish.

I had a sixline in my last tank - about 9 months no problems. He was actually a pretty big PITA - ate my brittle stars and anything else that moved in the tank. Then he started harrassing the clown and firefish so he was removed and taken to my LFS.

Hope things level out soon.

Well at least my wife, still apparently holding a grudge that I... relocated... the damsels, volunteered that she demanded we buy it over my protests and agrees we shouldn't bother with another one.

Fish that have moved on to the big bowl in the sky over the last two weeks across both tanks for various reasons

- 1 purple dottyback (jumped)

- 1 something Cap damsel (murdered by the other damsels)

- 2 azure damsels (exiled)

- 1 4-stripe damsel (exiled)

- 1 coral beauty angel (ich)

- 1 male clown (guessing ich, but unsure)

- 1 6-line wrasse (unknown)

cruzH20polo

ouch...

what is your next move/what is still alive

its always a bummer when fish die and despite my refusal to name my fish I still get rather fond of them

Sorry Violinist. Having a rough time with fish atm arn't you? I guess it is time to call it quits on getting a 6line. I just baffles me that three have died... THREE! How does that happen?

Are you going to replace it with something else?

Still among the swimming

- blenny (20L)

- hawk (20L)

- anthias (20L)

- basslet (20L)

- female clown (for now) (hex)

- firefish (hex)

- goby (hex)

No plans to stock any new fish. I am really down on the hex lately and have been thinking of getting a hqi biocube to replace it. But then I keep pricing out 50-60g rimless tanks as well, so I don't know. Want the bigger tank, the thought of dicking around with sumps and such is not so appealing and my wife's waffling on the idea is irritating me.

Sorry to hear about the fish woes.....

You are bound for some good luck in that department (to match your success at coral husbandry) :D

OClownsandNanos
No plans to stock any new fish. I am really down on the hex lately and have been thinking of getting a hqi biocube to replace it. But then I keep pricing out 50-60g rimless tanks as well, so I don't know. Want the bigger tank, the thought of dicking around with sumps and such is not so appealing and my wife's waffling on the idea is irritating me.

Clever subtitle in your opening post, I have to say. Sorry about all the fishies. :( Ooooh 50-60 g rimless sounds awesome! Do it! Do it for all of us who can't!

Sorry about your loss man that stinks. Esv bionic does need to be dosed in equal parts. I'm dosing two ml a day and mines staying pretty consistant now. But I only have little frags lol.

Archived