Cultivated Reef

Violinist's 20 Long - 3 Years!

violinist

Someone's been ripping up the fins on the anthias. I'm so sick of fish.

Anyway here is a snap of the torch looking for something to kill

IMG_0013-Edit.jpg

Holy crap............

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't worry about the torch touching zoas. IME, my frogspawn gets owned by my softies. The zoas and rics tend to pull off pieces of its tentacles.

Picked up a new video camera, so I'll put together a tank vid tonight. HD, doesn't choke on lights, can focus under an inch to the subject - should finally get some good video!

Also got some pics for later. The feather duster worm has started growing back his crown.

Hey V - if you were to compare noise, skimmer and MP10 when it goes full throttle how much more noise are you getting from the skimmer?

Best part of the day - practicing in front of the tank.

IMG_0277-Edit.jpg

The frogspawn of death is at it again. I'm not sure if my birdsnest will recover (forgot to take pic) from the FS stings, and now it appears the candycanes are the next target. I swear it seeks out nearby corals - there is plenty of space and yet tonight it adds another couple inches to its sweepers.

IMG_0280-Edit.jpg

IMG_0281-Edit.jpg

I can't hate it for bringing the best weapons to the battlefield though. Maybe I'll just get another FS!

Man, I would be in the tank with a pair of scissors.

Beautiful tank and pics.

Hey V - if you were to compare noise, skimmer and MP10 when it goes full throttle how much more noise are you getting from the skimmer?

You can't hear the mp10 at all. You can't hear the (muffled) skimmer over the fans on the light fixture. Noise from the fans is certainly livable, no louder than a pc running in the background.

After I got the dry side of the mp10 replaced and muffled the skimmer, I can leave the door to the room open at night and don't hear any noise at all.

Man, I would be in the tank with a pair of scissors.

Beautiful tank and pics.

Thanks!

They do what they do, if I don't like what they do it's my problem not theirs lol.

Found a few minutes to try out the new video cam. Does a nice job, especially with white balance. I'll try and do a good video with it, but for now here's a quick one. Don't know how to link straight to the hd version, but it's there.

click to watch

That's some great video quality! What's all the stuff floating around? Feeding time, copepods?

Those blastos are incredible! AND HUGE!

Thanks guys. Need to figure out some of the settings on the thing.

There's always some little bits of this and that floating around in the water. I don't run floss or anything so it just does it's thing.

However Saturdays are Blenny Remodeling days and the storm is particularly bad. I stir around the sand and flatten it out when I wc the tank in the morning, and then the blenny spends the rest of the day putting all the hills back in the sandbed by doing a super fast shake with his body to dig out valleys. He kicks up a ton of stuff which the vortech then sends traveling around.

I'd complain, but to be honest his constant decorating has kept the sand bed sparkly white and algae free so it's a pretty good thing all in all.

Thanks guys. Need to figure out some of the settings on the thing.

There's always some little bits of this and that floating around in the water. I don't run floss or anything so it just does it's thing.

However Saturdays are Blenny Remodeling days and the storm is particularly bad. I stir around the sand and flatten it out when I wc the tank in the morning, and then the blenny spends the rest of the day putting all the hills back in the sandbed by doing a super fast shake with his body to dig out valleys. He kicks up a ton of stuff which the vortech then sends traveling around.

I'd complain, but to be honest his constant decorating has kept the sand bed sparkly white and algae free so it's a pretty good thing all in all.

I saw a pic of a tank with nothing by GSP covering a bare-bottom tank. I think that person has the right idea.

Nice video btw. I would like to see one of the hex eventually.

animalmaster6

Excellent video!

What video camera are you using? I've been searching for a new one, does the 30D shoot good videos too?

The 30D doesn't shoot video. The 5Dmk2 does, and maybe some of the other newer bodies.

I got this at best buy, Sony HDR-CX150, and it's great. Very small (almost too small for my big mitts) and enough manual controls that you can get some good results. Records to SD flash cards and has 16gig built-in as well. Shoots 720 or 1080i HD, so far I'm very happy with it.

animalmaster6
I got this at best buy, Sony HDR-CX150, and it's great. Very small (almost too small for my big mitts) and enough manual controls that you can get some good results. Records to SD flash cards and has 16gig built-in as well. Shoots 720 or 1080i HD, so far I'm very happy with it.

I LOVE this. If you don't mind me asking how expensive is it and how hard is it to upload videos to youtube? Thanks! :)

I do the video stuff on my macbook so it's all pretty stupid proof. Take card out of camera, stick it in laptop, import the videos then make a movie out of it in iMovie. Then you can just click a button in imovie to send it to youtube if u want.

Lookup that model on bestbuy.com, don't remember price. I make myself not remember prices. A lot...

So I spent a few hours working on a video only to have imovie crash and wipe it out. Save early, save often and buy Apple products because they never... oh, wait.

Anyway, in lieu of that here's a short clip of the blenny spazzing out and making sandstorms.

youtube.jpg

Your sand got ownt! I would get annoyed with that little bugger, but your sand is nice and white so as you've said, can't complain too much.

AFRobert568

"They do what they do, if I don't like what they do it's my problem not theirs lol."

I like your attitude about the FS stingers. Do you notice any particular time that the stingers come out? I’ve always thought that stuff goes on at night, but your tank appears to be battling any time of day. Maybe your frogspawn is just so tactical it attacks during the day when no coral is expecting it. Clever FS, no wonder why he got the jump on the birdsnest.

So I spent a few hours working on a video only to have imovie crash and wipe it out. Save early, save often and buy Apple products because they never... oh, wait.

That is exactly why I run Linux systems on my home network. Backup early and often, what........ kernel panic? Oh crap... NVM LOL

here's a short clip of the blenny spazzing out and making sandstorms.

youtube.jpg

The FS and torch stingers have only shown up during the day. I had a favia that would send them out at night but that's the only time it would eat too.

The torch in particular only sent them out after being moved. The FS has them out all the time, but extends them 3-4x as far when a new coral is placed near it. I'm telling you, via chemicals or something it can tell when there's competition that needs nuking.

Archived