FTS 02.13.2011
IMG_0036-Edit.jpg

FTS 08.06.2010
fts.jpg

FTS 06.25.2010:

IMG_0210-Edit.jpg

Latest Video 03.2011:

20L.03.2011.jpg

This is a very, very long thread and if you want to wade through it all there are a ton of pictures and videos along the way to keep you entertained (in addition to the fun of watching a noob plow through cash).

For those lacking time or patience, here's the highlight reel:
==========================================
1 - Once upon a time I had an 8G Biocube...
2 - Then I setup this 20 Long
3 - I made an AC70 fuge which I never used on the 20L
4 - I decided to go with an AquaC Remora skimmer instead
5 - Tore down the BC8 and moved everyone into the 20L
6 - I bought a wrasse who quickly died
7 - Added an ATO to the tank
8 - Goodbye metal halide, hello T5's
9 - Add damsels and shrimps and macro algae, let simmer...
10 - The short lived macro algae craze continues
11 - More macros, more inverts
12 - More inverts added
13 - Harlequin shrimp added
14 - Purple dottyback added, welcome to the Murder Box
15 - 20g Hex tank started
16 - Introducing the fat, punky Blenny!
17 - 4-stripe Damsel in the pool - Murder Box complete
18 - Harlequin goes ninja on a starfish
19 - The beginning of the end of the Reign of Terror
20 - About 3 months in, let the dosing begin
21 - The dottyback goes carpet surfing
22 - New damsel added (and immediately killed)
23 - Murder Box no-more
24 - Peaceful fish added, and another wrasse quickly dies
25 - I own a Demon Frogspawn

Some commonly asked questions:

q: What camera do you use?

a: I have a Canon 5D and lots and lots of lenses. The macros here are shot with the Canon 100mm f2.8. Most of the wide-angles are shot with the 16-35 F2.8L.

q: What filter do you use?

a: An AquaC Remora skimmer is the only filter on the tank and it runs 24x7. - Skimmer removed early 2012. The tank has no filter on it now.

q: What's the T5 bulb combo?

a: Lighting is the Current Sundial 30", 4x24w T5HO. Bulbs are Geissman: 2x Actinic+, 1x Pure Actinic, 1x 6000k Midday. 9 hours on, 15 off.

q: Chemistry? Dosing? Maintenance?

a: Brightwell Neo-Marine salt. Brightwell ReefCode A/B for dosing (20ml of each every day). Weekly 5 gallon water changes without exception. I have a JBJ auto-top off unit controlling an Aqualifter pump and a 3g water jug used as a reservoir.

q: Feeding?

Rod's Food is what I feed to everything - fish, corals, other inverts. The harlequin shrimp eats starfish, and I give him one every couple of weeks. The mandarin eats Nutramar Ova, and will nibble on the smaller bits of Rod's.

q: Tell me more about the harlequin shrimp

There's a lot of good info available on this guy's page. Speaking only from firsthand experience with having one shrimp in the tank - it doesn't mess with corals, it doesn't appear to eat asterina or little hitchhiker serpent stars. It does eat chocolate chip and sandsifting starfish (and presumably any other sizable starfish, but these are the only two types I've fed it to date). It takes the shrimp a couple weeks to finish the starfish, and it keeps the star alive the entire time. The starfish does move around a little during this time, but the harlequin shrimp is always on it or near it. I have never had a starfish go rogue and start eating corals. I let the shrimp go without food for 2-3 weeks between feedings. The harlequin disappeared some time in early 2011, dinner for someone else...

Thanks for checking out my tank!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good. Was hoping to buy brick and mortar but 20 long seems to be the bastard child of sizes when it comes to finding fixtures...

Any other suggestions?

you're breaking down your BC? NOOO. now i will be the only nanoreefer with a bc8. oh well. following along!

There's only two of us? lol

It won't get torn down totally, my brother was drooling when he saw it over Thanksgiving and said he'd like to buy it if I setup a different tank.

Been calling all over trying to find that Current fixture at a local shop and no luck...

Also, do you guys all have RO/DI units? Any recommendations?

So, I gathered up the rest of the goods today and put everything together this evening.

17 pounds of LR

Coralite 150w MH clip-on...

RO/DI filter

Salt

I looked at a bunch of different light options. Actually found some shops that carried the Current fixture, but none in the 30". Would have settled for a 24" but no one had that either.

Ended up going with a 150w, 14000k metal halide light. Was assured it wouldn't cook the water and judging by how often the heater is kicking on even after the light running for a couple hours that appears to be the case. Don't forsee an issue in summer since we keep the house the same temp year round, but will deal with it then if needed.

Here's some pics!

empty_tank2.jpg

live_sand.jpg

filling_tank.jpg

filling_fts.jpg

cloudy.jpg

Forgot a couple things.

Picked up a HK 1 as well since no one had the Voretch's in stock and I was already burning a lot of cash anyway. Thought between this, the HOB and possibly my HK nano once I migrate the BC over I'd be in good shape. We'll see how it goes once the hob is lit up because right now the flow from the single HK1 is pathetic.

Also returning the AC110 I was going to do the fuge mod on. It takes up half of the back wall of the tank, so I couldn't even center the light. I'll get the AC70 instead. Not sure if my heater will fit inside the 70 (something I checked with the 110) but if it has to live inside the tank I guess I'll get over it.

Looking good!

I should have painted the back of my 40B, but i didnt like an idiot.

Any reason you didnt paint the back?

I'm going to pick up a sheet of black vinyl one of these days to stick on there.

The walls in the room are a dark blue, so I didn't think all the life-support would be real obvious. Doesn't really bother me to be honest.

All good then! Tagging along!

Today I returned the AC110 and some extra sand.

PIcked up

AC70

A 20cc syringe to replace the one my stupid dog ate yesterday

Some glass to cover the top

A second powerhead

The glass top was just a cheap folding pane thing from a local pet shop. I took the glass panes out of the hinges and have them laying over the top. I have two dogs who, in addition to eating fish food and syringes and god knows what else, shed like crazy.

I mod'd the AC70 so that I could stick my heater in it, a bit of filter pad (I use the carbon pad) next to the heater, and the a fuge for chaeto.

Nothing new and exciting in my process, but took some shots:

First I cut the bottom off the media basket and glued it in as a grate front of the return to keep the chaeto in the fuge.

grate.jpg

Then I took one of the two remaining pieces of the basket and trimmed it up so I could glue it in and make a divider between the heater area and fuge area. You need the little notch to slide it in next to the grate.

trimming.jpg

notch.jpg

chambers2.jpg

I also cut a notch in the top cover of the filter to allow the heater power cord out. All in all this took about half an hour from opening the box to hanging it on the back of the tank.

ac70_hob.jpg

There's quite a bit of flow now and I have the AC70 dialed down to its weakest setting.

You are upgrading your BC8 after 23 days only? lol

;)

BC8 sits across the room from this new tank for now. Looks like a nightlight in comparison, it's so dim.

Things pretty cleared up at this point. Have seen a black and white bristle worm and a couple of snails (one I have a feeling the lfs did not mean to throw in with the LR) creeping around so far.

fts95.jpg

Looking good! How deep is the AC70? Been thinking about this, but did not want to buy a new heater...

The inside of the thing is a bit under 8 inches in depth. I have a rena smart heater sunk in it (the 50w model) and there's another inch or so between the top of the heater and the lid of the ac70. I did pop off the grate thing from the bottom of the heater.

Checked some params after 24 hours, 0's across the board with ph at 8.3. Will be interesting to see what sort of cycle the tank goes through. The rock was pulled from tanks with corals and fish in them and the sand is live.

So, let's play Stock the Tank.

Here's the tank. Red arrows are flow directions. There are two powerheads on the right. One points up to the surface, parallel with the back wall of the tank. The other is aimed at the front glass across the top of the right rock, more or less parallel with the substrate (sorry the arrow is deceiving, flow would be hitting you in the eye if you stared at the powerhead from the front of the tank...). The flow on the left is the spill from the AC70.

Lighting is the 150w MH. Tank depth is around 12", width is around 30" - so each section below is 10 inches by 4 inches.

What would you add and where would you add it?

tank_topology.jpg

Archived